Samsung ATIV S Announced

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Personally I'm not going to buy a phone because it looks flashy. I really don't have the urge to show off my phone to random strangers and hope they say, "oh wow your phone looks awesome!". I care more about the specs and how well it works because after all i'm not going to sit there and stare at the shape of my phone. So with that said I really don't care if the Ativ S looks like every other phone out there as long as it's good quality.

At the same time a phone shouldn't be butt ugly either and pleasing to the user's eye.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
But I do think's gonna sell a lot for comsumers. Especially t-mobile users

true... I'm just saying that the look of this one isn't really doing anything for me but, if it pushes the right buttons for others and they want to line up to buy tons of these then I've got no problem with that at all. (buy what YOU like, not just whatever everyone else is liking this week)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
true... I'm just saying that the look of this one isn't really doing anything for me but, if it pushes the right buttons for others and they want to line up to buy tons of these then I've got no problem with that at all. (buy what YOU like, not just whatever everyone else is liking this week)

Well. It depends on the person. Also I do thinkm sammy is gonna divertissement this. They stated that they want to neat nokia for the best OEM in wimdows phone market. So maybe they will advertise this heavily

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Well. It depends on the person. Also I do thinkm sammy is gonna divertissement this. They stated that they want to neat nokia for the best OEM in wimdows phone market. So maybe they will advertise this heavily

All they really need to do to beat Nokia is to offer their products through every major carrier. Compare the Galaxy S3 (every major carrier, including some smaller carriers like US Cellular) and the comparable-quality HTC One X (AT&T and maybe one other, or maybe just AT&T). I for one refuse to switch from US Cellular to AT&T to get a Nokia flagship. I didn't do it with the Lumia 900 and I won't do it for WP8. If Nokia doesn't sell the 920 (or any phones) on US Cellular or Verizon, the two carriers with decent rural coverage, it'll be really easy for Samsung to dominate WP8 outside of major metro areas.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
All they really need to do to beat Nokia is to offer their products through every major carrier. Compare the Galaxy S3 (every major carrier, including some smaller carriers like US Cellular) and the comparable-quality HTC One X (AT&T and maybe one other, or maybe just AT&T). I for one refuse to switch from US Cellular to AT&T to get a Nokia flagship. I didn't do it with the Lumia 900 and I won't do it for WP8. If Nokia doesn't sell the 920 (or any phones) on US Cellular or Verizon, the two carriers with decent rural coverage, it'll be really easy for Samsung to dominate WP8 outside of major metro areas.

Well samsung will easily dominate USA with their Samsung ativ S. But it's likely they will advertise it and launch it for multiple carriers. More like this Nokia for worldwide and Samsung for north America and asia

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Well samsung will easily dominate USA with their Samsung ativ S. But it's likely they will advertise it and launch it for multiple carriers. More like this Nokia for worldwide and Samsung for north America and asia

Good point, I had just been thinking the US market, where Nokia's efforts to get their phones on multiple carriers have been decidedly half-hearted, and Samsung's have been best-in-industry. I don't know much about the cell phone market outside of the US.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
These are the correct specs for the Ativ S:

Network
HSPA+ 42Mbps 850/900/1900/2100MHz
EDGE/GPRS 850/900/1800/1900MHz

Processor
1.5 GHz dual-core processor

Display
4.8 inch (121.9mm ) HD Super AMOLED

OS
Windows Phone 8

Camera
Main(Rear): 8 Megapixel Auto Focus Camera with LED Flash
Sub(Front): 1.9 Megapixel VT Camera

Video
Codec: H.263, H.264, WMV, MP4, M4V, MOV
Full HD(1080p) Playback & Recording

Audio
Codec: MP3, WMA, MP4, M4A, AAC
3.5mm Ear Jack

Sharing Features
Tap + Send (File sharing with NFC and BT/Wi-Fi)

Samsung Family Story

Content Features & Services
Samsung ChatOn mobile communication service
Samsung Hub
- Music Hub *
- Media Hub* (US only)
Samsung Zone (in Windows Phone Marketplace)
Photo Editor
Mini Diary
Now (Daily Briefing)

GPS
A-GPS
Glonass

Connectivity
Bluetooth? 3.0
USB 2.0
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 & 5 GHz), Wi-Fi Direct, Wi-Fi Channel Bonding
NFC
3.5mm earjack

Sensor
Proximity, Accelerometer, Geomagnetic, Ambient Light, Gyroscope

Memory
16/32GB User memory + 1GB RAM
microSD (SDXC support)

Dimension
137.2 x 70.5 x 8.7 mm, 135g

Battery
Standard battery, Li-ion 2,300mAh

via: Samsung Mobile Press

Note there's no USB host, Bluetooth 4.0, etc. as mentioned ealier.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Seeing it in the video posted on the main site does it justice compared to the pics. The thin form factor, and metal body look great.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Good point, I had just been thinking the US market, where Nokia's efforts to get their phones on multiple carriers have been decidedly half-hearted, and Samsung's have been best-in-industry. I don't know much about the cell phone market outside of the US.

Verizon didn't want Windows Phone. It wasn't about Nokia's effort.

How many carriers did Samsung have Windows Phone handsets with?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if Samsung has any plans for an LTE enabled handset this year.

I thought that after the Titan II and Lumia 900 were released, LTE was going to be a standard for a company's flagship WP device.

mrkalel

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I really would love to feel this device in person... I am assuming from the look of it, it squeezes a 4.8" screen in a smaller width than the S3? (Somehow matching the GNex width?)...

That would be impressive...

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Verizon Is Said to Offer Nokia Windows 8 Phone This Year - Bloomberg

Not many...but Samsung never had a WP model like the Ativ S before, and Samsung never had an incentive like the Apple v. Samsung verdict to explore non-Android smartphones before.

Windows Phone 8 is a whole new ball game.

We'll see if Samsung has really increases their commitment or not. And we'll see if it comes close to matching Nokia's commitment.

I do hope they bring it this time. Not quite sure if they will.

HTC has shown more commitment to WP in the past than Samsung. But Samsung makes better phones than HTC in my opinion.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Verizon didn't want Windows Phone. It wasn't about Nokia's effort.

How many carriers did Samsung have Windows Phone handsets with?

well they are with it now. because Verizon is now committed with wp now. and since the Samsung Ativ S will likely be the biggest seller Wp in US after Nokia Lumia Pureview . So I really think that the Samsung Ativ S is going to multiple carriers

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Today, Apple filed another patent suit in US federal court, comparable to the one that they just succeeded in. But this one deals with newer devices, including the Galaxy S3. Apple is trying to ban Galaxy S3 sales as part of the suit.

If Samsung wasn't already planning on pushing the Ativ S heavily, you bet your butt they are now.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Today, Apple filed another patent suit in US federal court, comparable to the one that they just succeeded in. But this one deals with newer devices, including the Galaxy S3. Apple is trying to ban Galaxy S3 sales as part of the suit.

If Samsung wasn't already planning on pushing the Ativ S heavily, you bet your butt they are now.

source? really?. if yes then Samsung is screwed. they are distancing even more from Google

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
source? really?. if yes then Samsung is screwed. they are distancing even more from Google

The Verge...pretty reputable.

Apple turns up the pressure on Samsung, adds more devices to second patent suit | The Verge

According to an amended complaint filed today, Apple is naming "at least 21 new smartphones, media players, and tablets that Samsung has released beginning in August 2011 and continuing through August 2012." (The full list, which actually consists of 22 devices, is reproduced below). Some of the devices named were also part of the just-concluded trial, but are being named here because Apple is citing a different set of utility patents — eight of them in total.
•Galaxy S III
•Galaxy S III (Verizon)
•Galaxy Note
•Galaxy S II Skyrocket
•Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
•Galaxy S II
•Galaxy S II (T-Mobile)
•Galaxy S II (AT&T)
•Galaxy Nexus
•Illusion
•Captivate Glide
•Exhibit II 4G
•Stratosphere
•Transform Ultra
•Admire
•Conquer 4G
•Dart
•Galaxy Player 4.0
•Galaxy Player 5.0
•Galaxy Note 10.1
•Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
•Galaxy Tab 8.9

Ativ S and Ativ tablets = survival plan, if you ask me. Between the possibility of an injunction on the S3 and treble damages on the devices that were part of the last trial (which would boost the total damages award over $3 billion), not to mention zero support from Google, I'd be rethinking my Android emphasis if I was Samsung.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The Verge...pretty reputable.

Apple turns up the pressure on Samsung, adds more devices to second patent suit | The Verge

Ativ S and Ativ tablets = survival plan, if you ask me. Between the possibility of an injunction on the S3 and treble damages on the devices that were part of the last trial (which would boost the total damages award over $3 billion), not to mention zero support from Google, I'd be rethinking my Android emphasis if I was Samsung.

Me too. All the profits Sammy made with Android is going back to zero. Thanks to Apple.
I have to say that at some point, I agree with Apple. Now that u look at Sammy's phones, they have a bit of an iPhone in it. Anyways, that's not for me to judge.

But yes, Sammy could just be another Nokia. In the sense if Apple's dream comes true, Sammy will be nowhere with Android and all it will have is either
"Bada" or WP. And clearly WP will be much much much better....

Sent from my RaZr NeXus.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss