MS Surface Phone name shows on benchmarks running Wp8?

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft Surface Phone name pops up on benchmarks, shown running Windows Phone 8
microsoft-surface-phone.jpg

Look at this it says the surface phone name. could this mean that MS is making a surface phone. or maybe Nokia is making it and using the surface name?
mswp-1.jpg

Last edited:

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Huh. Interesting.

I am still not buying Microsoft competing against Nokia. Plus that it is such a different animal trying to get into the phone wars as a hardware manufacturer as opposed to getting into the Tablets. Tablets are still developing and have yet to become the HUGE market that smart phones have. It is so much more cost effective to lean on one of two companies that have been ther since the beginning and are still major players. Google has one (Motorola), Microsoft is in allince with the other. No reason to fight that war.

On another note, I thought I saw your name posting on Phone Arena!! How long have you been defending WP's honor on their website?

Last edited:

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Huh. Interesting.

I am still not buying Microsoft competing against Nokia. Plus that it is such a different animal trying to get into the phone wars as a hardware manufacturer as opposed to getting into the Tablets. Tablets are still developing and have yet to become the HUGE market that smart phones have. It is so much more cost effective to lean on one of two companies that have been ther since the beginning and are still major players. Google has on (Motorola), Microsoft is in allince with the other. No reason to fight that war.

On another note, I thought I saw your name posting on Phone Arena!! How long have you been defending WP's honor on their website?
I had that account before I came here and got my Wp :)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't seem very hard to spoof such a name, I'm running a custom ROM that has "Lumia 800" as the device model on my Omnia 7.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I wish, the Microsoft Surface is the reason I'm excited for Windows 8. That device was a kick in the pants to lame tablets. ( The ipad being the only good one)

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Huh. Interesting.

I am still not buying Microsoft competing against Nokia.

Another way to turn it could be that they let others manufacture the phone with their own branding a little to the side, basically what Google does with Nexus, as a compensation for the benefits/attention Nokia gains from the current partnership.

It wouldn't be that unfair competition if it's one device per generation, with solid but not spectacular specs. That way, Nokia and the others are still free to compete with both flagships and lower end devices, as well as special features like PureView.

Edit - lets go wild on speculation: Look at shape of the Surface. Look at the shape of the leaked HTC phone renders. Consider the fact that "Accord" indicates agreement and mutuality...

Last edited:

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Lets go wild on speculation: Look at shape of the Surface. Look at the shape of the leaked HTC phone renders. Consider the fact that "Accord" indicates agreement and mutuality...

Right, I'm bored. And I'm without Photoshop and threw this together in paint.net, so I besides the crappy editing I decided not to bother changing the too-metallic bezel and the slightly misaligned tiles after I pasted it together with the Surface.

attachment.php

Edit: The post got a bit messy, with me quoting myself and everything. In any case, the point is that the supposed Accord design surprised many, and even tough HTC has made their designs a bit bolder this indicated an even more radical change for their WP design.

And so, I got it in my head that it somehow looks more like it belongs next to the Surface than it does with both HTCs earlier WP hardware and their current Android phones.

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Love yours and the OP render. I would buy the OP first though. Would have just that added bit of suave if it had chrome buttons on the side instead of black rubber/plastic.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
The renders look WAY too much like the iPhone 5 leaks, and so I call shenanigans on the whole thing. Not to mention, I'd be really angry if a iPhone clone was the best Microsoft could come up with.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of a "nexus" type naming thing with "surface" and nokia already has a leaked picture of what I think a nokia surface phone would look like. Nokia Windows Phone Apollo concept surfaces, what do you make of the design? | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews
That is my favorite by far. Chrome sides and squared off corners? Yes please.

The only problem I see is one of what I call the "aesthetic paradox":
I'd have a need to protect its beauty with a case, but in doing so, I'd be covering up the very beauty I'd protect.

I hate it when that happens...

Last edited:

kylej1050

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
The renders look WAY too much like the iPhone 5 leaks, and so I call shenanigans on the whole thing. Not to mention, I'd be really angry if a iPhone clone was the best Microsoft could come up with.

I'd love it if that exact phone came out. It's a DAMN good looking phone. With the 22 degree bevels and the sharper corners I think it's plenty different than the iPhone 5 leaks.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site

One could argue that the iPhone 5 looks more like every other phone now that Apple has decided to stretch the display to 16:9. I always wondered when they would do that. To me it felt like something they saved for the inevitable time when they run out of innovation and boundary pushing (or at least impressive looking) hardware. The Retina resolution bought them a little more time, but now they are in a situation where they need to get consumers to upgrade a phone that's powerful enough that few people (except more-than-casual gamers) feel any real performance constraints.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster