Is this Nokia's best after all the Smack Talk?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
PureView, Wireless charging, NFC, Removable SD, gonna be the best screen on the market. WTF else do people want in a phone? I mean really, what else?

I wanted "Pureview" to include oversampling from a high-megapixel camera, the defining characteristic of the 808 Pureview.

There's no SD support for the 920. It's only the 820 that has removable storage, and the 820 has a low-res screen.

Wireless charging seems like a useless gimmick to me.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Funny how non-WP fans on other boards and blogs are generally looking at the Nokia devices in a positive light, while people here are nitpicking every detail and have a real downer attitude (like seriously who gives a **** about stock prices?).

Nokia and MS weren't going to overtake Apple and Google in one swoop, and expectations were too high among a lot of WP fans. The positive is that we're going to have top range devices from a number of OEMs instead of middle range devices as with WP7.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
So, looking at the colors in the google logo, you get blue, red and yellow on there, so in the future I see a green Lumia phone.. Just saying, that would make a cool photo with the letters spelling google in the screens with the phones in the correct color order lol.

Cool stuff coming, the only problem is its still coming, no prices dates or other info at all. Motorola even had prices and dates + carrier today, and we all know Apple will too. Amazon will have the same for the Kindle event coming up. Sigh. Waiting sucks, just saying.

I'd even be happy with the prices of the speakers and such, but nothing. Needed more data for me to go over, this was all too high level stuff for me today.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Well after looking at the new leaked images in the News section today, I'm really leaning in the direction of the Ativ S. The 820 looks worse than the 800 in my opinion, and the 920 looks just like a 900. The thing that sticks out the most for me is the size of the bezels on these phones. Especially the 900, if it's got a 4.5 inch screen, then how big is the overall phone if the bezels look that big? Wow, thought after all the smack talk Nokia have been delivering, they would have brought something more to the game than just a rehash of last year's form factor with new kindergarten color scheme. Bold colors are not attractive to the masses. I'm concerned that a Nokia display with such bold colored phones will turn away more people than attract them. Hopefully they only use the black, white and silver ones for their displays. And I really hope the phones are not as shiny as they show in these leaked pics as well. Let's hope HTC bring out something as nice and professional looking as the Ativ S. Very disappointing, but hope they look better in person.
Couldn't agree with you more. Big YAWN...

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I wanted "Pureview" to include oversampling from a high-megapixel camera, the defining characteristic of the 808 Pureview.

This OISPureView actually overperforms the 808PureView in many situations (like image stabilization and low light conditions). Of course in other areas like lossless zoom is not so good, but for that you need a huge sensor which will make the phone too thick for the masses. It's great to know that this OISPureView solves many problems that all other smartphone cameras have (including the 808).

Wireless charging seems like a useless gimmick to me.

It's great when you are on a bar / restaurant or waiting for a flight in the airport, or whatever, and those have wireless chargers.

AKA Preluva

Banned
Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I think their software is the best part of the 920, not the hardware. The smart photo editing and video editing is amazing for a phone to do. Cinemagraph and smartshoot are just spectacular. The augmented map stuff is also great.

Who the bloody **** is editing photos & video with a phone??? :straight: My Pre has some sort of video editing software (something anyway) I have never used it nor do I even know how. When and if I think of doing this sort of thing I'm not reaching for my phone. Maybe I'm just too old. :mad:

Last edited:

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
More important than "is it enough to hold up against Samsung Ativ and HTCs WP8?", is it really something that will make iOS and Android users switch?

comScore reported yesterday that WP/WM lost 10 % of their market share in the last 4 months and is down to 3.6 % now.

Attracting new smartphone buyers will not be enough, WP needed a real game changer that made people seriously consider buying a WP device instead of the new iPhone or another Android.

The Lumia 920 looks like a great phone, but when it comes to hardware Android has been having it since last winter, and when it comes to software there wasnt really anything near a breakthrough.

WP needed something with a real WOW effect which would make the iOS and Android users jealous. I didnt see anything like that today.

And no release date... Apple is probably happy today.

Same points apply to the Samsung, what does it have that will attract buyers?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Funny how non-WP fans on other boards and blogs are generally looking at the Nokia devices in a positive light, while people here are nitpicking every detail and have a real downer attitude (like seriously who gives a **** about stock prices?).

Nokia and MS weren't going to overtake Apple and Google in one swoop, and expectations were too high among a lot of WP fans. The positive is that we're going to have top range devices from a number of OEMs instead of middle range devices as with WP7.

So true. All over Twitter and various blogs, the general feedback is pretty positive. Come back here and it's like doom 'n gloom.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
It's great when you are on a bar / restaurant or waiting for a flight in the airport, or whatever, and those have wireless chargers.

Have you ever seen a business in real life that offers these to customers? If so, where? Not a flame, but a serious question, because I had never even heard of them until the Lumia 920. Certainly not something your average Oregon coffeeshop has sitting around for customer use.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Who the blood **** is editing photos & video with a phone??? :straight: My Pre has some sort of video editing software (something anyway) I have never used it nor do I even know how. When and if I think of doing this sort of thing I'm not reaching for my phone. Maybe I'm just too old. :mad:

Well people do use Instagram... (I don't.)

Have you ever seen a business in real life that offers these to customers? If so, where? Not a flame, but a serious question, because I had never even heard of them until the Lumia 920. Certainly not something your average Oregon coffeeshop has sitting around for customer use.

I've never seen a business offer it probably because there's no incentive to. Other than the webOS phones, the Galaxy SIII (didn't know about that one until yesterday), and the not yet available Lumia 920 and 820, what other phones have wireless charging built in?

But I do think that wireless charging will be the future. Hopefully Nokia can get it started--they've already partnered with The Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf to add wireless charging stations. I think the also mentioned Virgin America as a partner in their presentation today.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Ah but Nokia is trying to make it happen (Qi standard and all..), or did you forget?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Who the blood **** is editing photos & video with a phone??? :straight: My Pre has some sort of video editing software (something anyway) I have never used it nor do I even know how. When and if I think of doing this sort of thing I'm not reaching for my phone. Maybe I'm just too old. :mad:

Its while you take the photo or video, not something you do after, or maybe its both ways. Sorry but the system shown in the event was much much easier than anything I have done with photoshop.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
So true. All over Twitter and various blogs, the general feedback is pretty positive. Come back here and it's like doom 'n gloom.

I think people who have some axe to grind with Nokia, or may have made some sort of negative predictions in the past, know that this is where most WP fans congregate.

There are 4 main groups.

1. people that are actively doing anything they can to try to turn opinions against Nokia because they see Nokia as the key to WP. And taking them down, takes down WP.

2. people that are fans of other OEMs, so they think that putting down Nokia somehow lifts up their favorite OEM

3. people who just like controversy of any kind (not out of hate, but just because it makes interesting conversation)

4. people who have legitimate concerns

I think we have a fairly even amount from each of the categories.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

If they do, it's rare.

Nokia has made a deal with Virgin and Coffee Bean in order to get this done. I imagine that means that money is exchanging hands.

It will take OEMs to push the ability in order for more businesses to adopt it. But it has to start somewhere.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
More important than "is it enough to hold up against Samsung Ativ and HTCs WP8?", is it really something that will make iOS and Android users switch?

comScore reported yesterday that WP/WM lost 10 % of their market share in the last 4 months and is down to 3.6 % now.

Attracting new smartphone buyers will not be enough, WP needed a real game changer that made people seriously consider buying a WP device instead of the new iPhone or another Android.

The Lumia 920 looks like a great phone, but when it comes to hardware Android has been having it since last winter, and when it comes to software there wasnt really anything near a breakthrough.

WP needed something with a real WOW effect which would make the iOS and Android users jealous. I didnt see anything like that today.

And no release date... Apple is probably happy today.
I think it's unfair to pass judgment just yet as not everything in WP has been revealed yet. Seems that all the iPhone 5 will have is LTE and a 4"+ screen and iOS 6 of course which is underwhelming.

Satchef1

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the 920 is likely to remain the most impressive piece of hardware this year. That screen and camera are stunning, and a leap rather than a step ahead of the competition. More of this please. The more heated competition gets, the faster things get driven forward. Recently (past year to 18 months?) the incumbents have got a little lazy...

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it's unfair to pass judgment just yet as not everything in WP has been revealed yet. Seems that all the iPhone 5 will have is LTE and a 4"+ screen and iOS 6 of course which is underwhelming.

At least we will know when, on who, and how much an iPhone 5 will cost :p and thanks to the love affair with iPhones on tech blogs we know the type of button, the battery type, the case inside out and upside down, etc. I almost feel like we know more about an unannounced device than an announced device

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen a business offer it probably because there's no incentive to. Other than the webOS phones, the Galaxy SIII (didn't know about that one until yesterday), and the not yet available Lumia 920 and 820, what other phones have wireless charging built in?

Didn't know the Galaxy SIII has it. If the Galaxy SIII has it, does that mean the Ativ S (Galaxy SIII hardware) will have it too?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
At least we will know when, on who, and how much an iPhone 5 will cost :p and thanks to the love affair with iPhones on tech blogs we know the type of button, the battery type, the case inside out and upside down, etc. I almost feel like we know more about an unannounced device than an announced device

the only thing you said that was different from the lumia is PRICE. That's it.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nokia had some balls to be criticizing Samsung.

I can't believe they put the ATIV on the picture of the boring gray phones, then bring absolutely nothing to the table. Wireless chargers and Colors are just cute gimmicks, the ATIV on the other hand is a serious phone that's not only lighter and thinner but has a bigger battery and screen.

How? Samsung Magic I guess but the 900 not only is thick but is has a huge unnecessary bezel that just looks plain ugly. SMH Nokia, SMH head.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb