Is this Nokia's best after all the Smack Talk?

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
the only thing you said that was different from the lumia is PRICE. That's it.

I am pretty sure Nokia hasn't announced carriers, price, or when yet. The iPhone rumors have been rather accurate coupled with vacation black outs and Apples past iPhone launches the 21st seems like a solid launch date and we know who carries iPhones more may be added but most sell them now anyways. How exactly did Nokia clear ANY of those things up?

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure Nokia hasn't announced carriers, price, or when yet. The iPhone rumors have been rather accurate coupled with vacation black outs and Apples past iPhone launches the 21st seems like a solid launch date and we know who carries iPhones more may be added but most sell them now anyways. How exactly did Nokia clear ANY of those things up?

maybe yoy don't get what I said. The only thing you said iPhone had over this is PRICE. That's it. There are accessories, there is a time frame, and there is innovation

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Nokia had some balls to be criticizing Samsung.

I can't believe they put the ATIV on the picture of the boring gray phones, then bring absolutely nothing to the table. Wireless chargers and Colors are just cute gimmicks, the ATIV on the other hand is a serious phone that's not only lighter and thinner but has a bigger battery and screen.

How? Samsung Magic I guess but the 900 not only is thick but is has a huge unnecessary bezel that just looks plain ugly. SMH Nokia, SMH head.

I think the criticism has merit. Considering the event today, they showed not only the thought they put into the device beyond mere increase in screen size and device height but also the extra steps they took into acquiring and making deals with third parties to enhance the customers experience with the Lumia and WP.

You really can't say Samsung has ever done anything that compares to that.

Could Nokia improve in device height and battery capacity? Sure, but you can't take away the big effort they showed today, especially when compared to Samung's announcement at IFA so far.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand, Nokia design department is just hiding ugly phones in pretty colors. Look at the 920 in black and tells me how it compares to the competition in looks.

There's not reason for the phone to be that thick, there's not reason for the phone to be that long, there's no reason for huge bezel.

We don't know how good the camera is compared to the ATIV, but if the ATIV one is better then the 920 will be worse than the ATIV in every single way.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand, Nokia design department is just hiding ugly phones in pretty colors. Look at the 920 in black and tells me how it compares to the competition in looks.

There's not reason for the phone to be that thick, there's not reason for the phone to be that long, there's no reason for huge bezel.

We don't know how good the camera is compared to the ATIV, but if the ATIV one is better then the 920 will be worse than the ATIV in every single way.

Are you saying you don't understand how they can talk smack with that design? Well I guess the fact that they were getting high marks a few months back for the 900 gives them a decent enough amount of cred to do so.

I mean, if people thought it was ugly they wouldn't have raved about it, much less bought it.

Personally, I dig the coloring. Could they have gone thinner? Sure, but only their engineers or accountants know the real reason for why they didn't.

The black one, to me, has a slight con against it because it's the typical black that just about any phone has. I suppose it works for people that like having things blacked out. However, the pro on it is that it still tries to differentiate itself through the texture it gives off by the way the light hits it

IMG6654-XL-580x386.jpg

Could've gone the gloss route too I suppose, but I think people might have taken it less seriously.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site

Maybe the Ativ S, like the Galaxy S3, is a phone you need to hold to appreciate. I'm sure it'll be better to hold than the Lumia 920 based on my experience with the Lumia 900. But even in black, I think the 920 looks better. The Ativ S looks so boring, like a Windows Mobile business phone, whereas the 920 looks more sleek with it's hard lines juxtapose smooth curves. The Lumia 900 won several design awards and accolades, and anecdotally seems to demand attention even in more pedestrian hues. It's a design that's going to be fresh for the vast majority of people who see it, particularly in the US.

But even if you consider the 920 ugly, as you said, they're hiding that ugly design in pretty colors. How many vibrant red or yellow phones do you know of? Those are colors that demand attention, and I promise you we'll see other OEMs with brightly colored phones come Q2 2013. Differentiation is what will get Nokia attention. Whether that will ultimately translate into sales is yet to be seen.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know of a hands-on with the grey 920? I'm not interested in the glossy ones, so it's probably black or grey for me.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Very insightful discussion on the tech inside the 920 here AAWP Insight #36: Covering the Lumia 920 and Lumia 820 launch

I must have missed the insightful discussion.... Do you have personal stake in AAWP? You linked to a post with 5 replies and called it an insightful discussion to I guess get views? Much more worthwhile discussion on here about the devices than that link.

If I HAVE to get a phone in the next few months, I will probably be forced to get the 920. The pureview and other exclusive apps are too much to pass up for an HTC letdown. Have not seen anything stand out about the ativ-s except the nice metal look.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I must have missed the insightful discussion.... Do you have personal stake in AAWP? You linked to a post with 5 replies and called it an insightful discussion to I guess get views? Much more worthwhile discussion on here about the devices than that link.

If I HAVE to get a phone in the next few months, I will probably be forced to get the 920. The pureview and other exclusive apps are too much to pass up for an HTC letdown. Have not seen anything stand out about the ativ-s except the nice metal look.

He probably means the podcast and not the comment section. Or maybe it was just a pun, the site is called Insight.

Edit: What does Insight means?

Last edited:

poxme

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nokia perfected the lumia 800/900 design in the image of the 920, I'm using HTC radar and im so envious on lumia users out the getting all the good stuff. One **** of a crazy support that Nokia giving to their handsets!

Sent from my Radar C110e using Board Express

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

It was a link to the podcast not the comments. How does that equate to having a personal stake in AAWP? Why for pete's sake would I care how many views that site gets? I guess its not allowed to link to other sites with opinions about Nokia and WP? Really, has it come to this, any discussion outside of this site is automatically viewed as trying to get site hits? Amazing, all over a phone that will be superceded 6 months from now.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It was a link to the podcast not the comments. How does that equate to having a personal stake in AAWP? Why for pete's sake would I care how many views that site gets? I guess its not allowed to link to other sites with opinions about Nokia and WP? Really, has it come to this, any discussion outside of this site is automatically viewed as trying to get site hits? Amazing, all over a phone that will be superceded 6 months from now.

That's exactly what I mean.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

You're seriously comparing Apple with its one device (developed and manufactured by Apple itself), firmly established ecosystem and existing dealer network to Nokia and WP8?

Here's a clue: Nokia doesn't tell carriers to sell their product, the carriers tell Nokia if they will or will not carry them.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

What I don't understand is how you can judge something as subjective as aesthetics and pass it off as fact. You've been hammering on Nokia for so long now it's getting ridiculous.

It's cool that you don't like Nokia especially considering there are other manufacturers to choose from. It means there is probably something out there that will make you happy.

That's good, right?

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, but the title of this thread makes me chuckle every time I see it.

Yes, Nokia. Really?! You poke fun at Android and the best you can do is bring the best screen and camera technology known to smartphones?! What a cheek!

:lol:

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
What I don't understand is how you can judge something as subjective as aesthetics and pass it off as fact. You've been hammering on Nokia for so long now it's getting ridiculous.

I've being hammering Nokia since they shown to fake their videos, that was Thursday, so it's being barely 3 days. I have a couple of questions.

What makes the yet to be released Nokia 920 a must buy against the proven and by the time it comes out very affordable GS3 and HTC One X?

What makes the phone a must buy compared to the yet to be released Samsung ATIV?

What makes the phone a must buy against the Iphone 5 and it's massive app selection and proof of future support?

And why should I trust Nokia to bring the best Windows Phone on the market when they had failed to brought their very best on to the phone? This isn't the time to half-as-s it.

Instead of calling me a hater just give me reasons as to why this underwhelming device is the next big thing and had Nokia acting all cocky.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss