09-17-2012 11:41 PM
170 1234 ...
tools
    I'll wait for the honest reviews before I make judgement. Teasers and adverts should always be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Pretty much.

It's actually VERY unusual for teasers or commercials to use phone cameras. When they do, they normally have something big plastered on screen saying, "USING THE NOKIA N8" or something.

This was a tech demo for OIS. But unfortunately, since OIS tech is present in the Lumia 920, many will assume that it's the 920 filming it. Not really taking into account that the tech could exist on its own.
    bear_lx and wolf1891 like this.
    09-05-2012 05:45 PM
    It's not fake, they just never claim that it's the 920:

Taking PureView to the next level Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

"In addition, the OIS video, above, was not shot using the Lumia 920."
    They want people to watch the video and believe it's footage from the 920. PureView is plastered all over the video. Also, they show a guy in the video holding a 920 and seemingly recording and photographing the girl.
    09-05-2012 05:47 PM
    of course its fake, so is half the stuff you see on tv. the hole point of the video was a little misleading but was to show the ability of OIS, and the fact that it does make a difference in camera quality. which was accurately demonstrated in a myriad of other hands on videos. give them a break, apple has tons of fake misleading ads as well..

never seen so many people freak out over this stuff...
    09-05-2012 06:00 PM
    This is exploding on all the gadget sites. Not a good scandal to ruin the 920's debut today.
    09-05-2012 06:36 PM
    I think if the real world use ends up pretty much the same, it won't be much a story anymore.

The vid was to show off Optical Image Stabilization technology. It did so.

If it somehow turns out different in the phone, then there will be a lot of complaints.

When all is said and done, the people that don't like Nokia products won't get it and point at the video as one of the reasons. The people that do like Nokia products will get it and say that real world performance is what really matters.
    09-05-2012 06:42 PM
    of course its fake, so is half the stuff you see on tv. the hole point of the video was a little misleading but was to show the ability of OIS, and the fact that it does make a difference in camera quality. which was accurately demonstrated in a myriad of other hands on videos. give them a break, apple has tons of fake misleading ads as well..

never seen so many people freak out over this stuff...
    I've complained about misleading Apple ads for years. But like I tell my kids, just because other kids are doing something wrong doesn't mean it's okay for you to do so as well. The ad was woefully misleading and clearly suggested that the OIS shots were taken with a Lumia 920. Particularly because previous Pureview ads have, in fact, been filmed with the Pureview camera. (This ad was shot entirely with the killer 41MP camera on Nokia’s 808 PureView | VentureBeat)

The sad part is, for all we know, the camera on the Lumia 920 is absolutely awesome. But by releasing this misleading ad, Nokia did terrible damage to its reputation. Just look at The Verge's article on it, "Nokia's new PureView ad is amazing, too bad it's faked." People will assume the camera is lousy because Nokia had such a misleading ad claiming it's good. This is like cops framing a guilty person. This is like Paul Ryan lying about how fast he ran a marathon, when he could have just impressed people by saying he's completed a marathon (which I never have). Misleading people makes no sense if you can just rely on the truth.
    09-05-2012 06:43 PM
    I just saw a bunch of real life photos and videos being taken with the 920 and they look great so I know it does the job. Now, where do i preorder? :P
    09-05-2012 07:06 PM
    I've communicated briefly with a Nokia employee about this "scandal."

His reaction was one of slight frustration, because he's used the device and it is completely capable of doing what was in the video.

I imagine that at the time the video was made, the final version of the hardware/software wasn't available yet. But they wanted a video that would show what the results of final hardware would look like.
    09-05-2012 07:07 PM
    I've communicated briefly with a Nokia employee about this "scandal."

His reaction was one of slight frustration, because he's used the device and it is completely capable of doing what was in the video.

I imagine that at the time the video was made, the final version of the hardware/software wasn't available yet. But they wanted a video that would show what the results of final hardware would look like.
    It's a real shame, I only hope Nokia will reproduce the video using the 920 to remedy their marketing mistake.
    09-05-2012 07:12 PM
    Nokia's response.

An apology is due

Published by Heidi Lemmetyinen on September 6, 2012

Were excited about the Lumia 920 and the ground-breaking PureView imaging capabilities we announced today.

In an effort to demonstrate the benefits of optical image stabilization (which eliminates blurry images and improves pictures shot in low light conditions), we produced a video that simulates what we will be able to deliver with OIS.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, but we should have posted a disclaimer stating this was a representation of OIS only. This was not shot with a Lumia 920. At least, not yet. We apologize for the confusion we created.

We are looking forward to bringing the Lumia 920, with PureView optical image stabilization to select markets later this year.

Here is the video shown at the press conference shot using a Lumia 920. On the right is a Lumia 920 prototype with OIS. On the left is a smartphone without OIS. The difference is apparent.

A quick vid walking with the cameras shown in the two camera rig.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HSbhyaH0vw[/YT]
    Last edited by Winning Guy; 09-05-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    aceattorneymvp and riffraffy like this.
    09-05-2012 07:18 PM
    LOL. So it's not fake, just intentionally misleading.
    Well, sort of. My guess is that at the time they filmed that video, the 920 just wasn't ready enough to use it, so they simulated it.

They clearly should have said this at the onset, or not even have shown that video and just let the actual results people are seeing speak for themselves. That being said, it does look like journalists got similar results today when actually using the devices, so I'm not too concerned.
    09-05-2012 08:34 PM
    Well, sort of. My guess is that at the time they filmed that video, the 920 just wasn't ready enough to use it, so they simulated it.

They clearly should have said this at the onset, or not even have shown that video and just let the actual results people are seeing speak for themselves. That being said, it does look like journalists got similar results today when actually using the devices, so I'm not too concerned.
    The challenge with trying to put a disclaimer in the beginning is that it was used as a "teaser." It was supposed to be a mystery.
    09-05-2012 08:45 PM
    Nokia's response.
    A quick vid walking with the cameras shown in the two camera rig.
    I'll note that the color and the relative depth of the subjects (or whatever the technical term is) look much better on the Lumia 920 side of the vid...
    09-05-2012 08:49 PM
    The challenge with trying to put a disclaimer in the beginning is that it was used as a "teaser." It was supposed to be a mystery.
    The teaser video just showed the girl bicycling. That's it. No text, no explanation. No disclaimer needed there. On the other hand, the full video, with "no OIS" and "OIS" compared side-to-side in multiple contexts, should have had "simulation: not Lumia 920 footage" in small print at the bottom. It didn't.

You may think that this is trivial, but in terms of represntations to a consumer, that sort of disclosure is a big deal. Particularly because Nokia has, in the past, actually filmed commercials for Pureview cameras with the Pureview camera itself. So without any disclaimer, and with the video edited the way it was, it clearly created the impression it was filmed with the Lumia 920.

This is not sophisticated stuff. A company the size of Nokia should know how to do this. I'm not writing off the phone itself after this escapade, but I am writing off assertions from Nokia itself about the phone. Trust has been damaged, and only in-depth third-party reviews of the phone can restore it.

Before anyone calls me a blind Samsung fanboy--that seems to be a common refrain from people getting very defensive over this--I have no brand loyalty to any of the three WP8 OEMs and am considering any WP8 flagship that comes to US Cellular.
    09-05-2012 09:05 PM
    Yeah, I meant they needed the disclaimer when they showed the full video today, not at the teaser a few days ago.

I agree that it's a pretty big mistake, but like I said I'm not sure it'll be a big deal when the thing gets released, as long as the results come close enough to matching that.
    09-05-2012 09:17 PM
    Ridiculous

So because you can't film a short video riding your bike, people are up in arms? Smh
    09-05-2012 10:06 PM
    you know what, I believe this is one of those times where Ultraviolence is completely valid and warranted against these tech blogger *****. We're talking full on force surprise raid in their mother's basement and beaten with socks full of quarters.
    09-05-2012 10:10 PM
    you know what, I believe this is one of those times where Ultraviolence is completely valid and warranted against these tech blogger *****. We're talking full on force surprise raid in their mother's basement and beaten with socks full of quarters.
    That's a healthy reaction.
    09-05-2012 11:16 PM
    I think its a major screw up on the part of the production house. I work in an ad firm. We have to be very very careful of something like this.
    And if I was Nokia, I would have sacked my agency and penalised the production house.

In a camera ad, YOU CAN'T SCREW UP SHOWING your unit FILMING IT. It is riduclous and embarassing.
    09-06-2012 12:23 AM
    You guys are crazy to stick up for what is obviously misrepresentation. If the guy using the DSLR rig was riding a bicycle, it would be a little more credible.

For the record, I want one.
    09-06-2012 10:04 AM
    Ridiculous

So because you can't film a short video riding your bike, people are up in arms? Smh
    People are up in arms because they are talking about the future of image stabilization, and make you believe you can film a non-shaky video while in the move.

When they used a Truck and professional equipment and tried to play us for suckers.

Their "competition" against the 4s is also shameful, the lumia is using flash help while the iphone doesn't.
    09-06-2012 10:18 AM
    Nokia Lumia 920 sample images found to be fake as well - GSMArena.com news

And even more blatant in here

If you look at the left, you will see the lens of a professional camera.
    09-06-2012 10:35 AM
    sigh, nokia.

article here
    Nokia Lumia 920 sample images found to be fake as well - GSMArena.com news

and here
    Nokia faked the still photos too | sefsar by Youssef Sarhan

why not just release photos with the exif data, to end the unecessary bad publicity or just put a small piece of disclaimer text.

Bad press is not what you want at this time...even though I am considering your 920;)
    09-06-2012 10:42 AM
    On the other hand, according to Yousef Sarhan's article, this actually WAS taken with the Lumia 920:

So while the images were "faked," they were images the Lumia 920 could have taken (except for the spikes around the light sources).
    09-06-2012 10:49 AM
    My Optimus 7 would take great night pictures also, if you put a professional lighting set around it.
    09-06-2012 10:50 AM
170 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD