Lumia 920 demo reel is faked?

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
They truly believe that PureView is a technology that stands on its own. It's not a device. It's not a phone.

The demo was for a feature of PureView. And the phone would happen to include that technology. But the phone isnt the technology.

The ad ended with "THIS IS LUMIA." Even if we try to claim that the professional cameras they were using (which probably weren't Nokia products) were "Pureview technology"--and I think that's a real stretch--they just can't get around that conclusory statement.

Winterfang said:
I'm not the only one saying, if the camera was that great why fake it?

This is what I can't get around. If you'll forgive the political comparison, it's like Paul Ryan claiming he ran a marathon in 2:50 (he actually ran it in 4:10). Running a marathon in 4:10 is impressive enough; there's no need to embellish or mislead. So why do it?! Likewise, from the limited third-party tests of the Lumia 920 so far (including Brighthand, an Android-centric smartphone page), its camera is class-leading...so why snatch defeat from the jaws of victory with an ad so offensively misleading that even non-tech-sites like the Huffington Post is covering it?

Someone needs to get fired over that ad. Seriously.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I truly do understand where Mitlov and Xenophos are coming from. It was a huge error. And it's quote possible that someone in a high decision making position knew that it could be misleading, but took the risk anyway just because it is standard practice. So, it makes sense to actually wait and see real results and reviews from the device before believing things.

But honestly, Winterfang's rants come across as hating. The declarations that the device doesn't work, even though evidence from respected tech journalists say it does, seems more like a mission against Nokia than an honest analysis.

Certainly not the END of the world for me. Not like I'm gonna shoot professional pics/videos with it..in fact, a camera is the last thing I check when I buy my phone...so yea..I'm just saying, if you lie, don't get caught...

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone think this *could* be a publicity stunt by Nokia to gain all the attention they could?

Media talking, people talking, forums heating up - they let it go on, say sorry, on the other hand keep releasing videos and side by side comparisons etc...

And in a month, EVEN after iPhone 5 announced, they start smoking iPhone 5 camera with REAL DEAL Nokia Lumia 920 in more #smokedbyLumia or whatever challenge?

They needed people to talk about Lumia, people to know Lumia exist and now they've got media and tech blogs to do EXACTLY the same.

This won't harm Nokia per say because in fact Lumia 920 has that Pure View technology and when the phone goes one-on-one IT WILL smoke other phones. But for that campaign to pick up the heat, they needed publicity and they've just got it started now?

It may well happen that in a week's time when iPhone5 launches we will still have people talking and debating about Lumia920?

Just thinking Nokia being as snob as they were before they could do anything. If they've not thought of this, what are the chances they read my post and use some tip? ;)

one thing is for sure, they are gonna SMOKE the iPhone5 camera....it is going to be embarassment city for several weeks on the iPhone5. Can't wait for Nokia to get a hold of one.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the contrary, Taking pictures is the most I do with my phone. I love how easily I can upload them to Facebook and they are stored in Skydrive.

I was already weary of the camera when Nokia started doing pre-conference damage control. But I still gave them the benefit of the doubt. I saw the videos and I was impressed if a little disappointing by the lack of huge sensor while still having a thick device.

Then I found out it was fake. I mean after the terrible 900 camera, they where probably eager to show the world WP8 is really improved and the camera with them, but fake pictures are not the way to do it.

They are getting bad exposition in even news sites and their shares are dropping. It's not my fault Nokia lie to us and I'm certainly not happy with it.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
They are getting bad exposition in even news sites and their shares are dropping.

Just to clarify, while their share price dropped a truly-disastrous 16% yesterday, it's stabilized and now climbing in value again, not continuing to drop. It's up 3.36% so far today.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
You didn't give a benefit to any doubt and these mishaps only made it that much easier to build up your resolve. I'm over it. They lied about using the phone, you're lying about being interested. Back on ignore

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the contrary, Taking pictures is the most I do with my phone. I love how easily I can upload them to Facebook and they are stored in Skydrive.

I was already weary of the camera when Nokia started doing pre-conference damage control. But I still gave them the benefit of the doubt. I saw the videos and I was impressed if a little disappointing by the lack of huge sensor while still having a thick device.

Then I found out it was fake. I mean after the terrible 900 camera, they where probably eager to show the world WP8 is really improved and the camera with them, but fake pictures are not the way to do it.

They are getting bad exposition in even news sites and their shares are dropping. It's not my fault Nokia lie to us and I'm certainly not happy with it.

I just got off the phone with Elop, he will write a letter of apology to you, will you please now buy his phone? ;)

Jokes apart, I don't see why you think share dropping or Nokia's misleading ads have got anything to do with what the handset beholds. Did you not see the presentation? Have you not seen ANY youtube demo from hundreds of tech journalists (some reputable ones) that have had hands-on challenge with phones and Lumia came out on top?

If that isn't proof enough to believe, then I think even Elop's letter won't suffice.

This "huge, terrible, heartbreaking, misleading" marketing is ONLY wrong because we saw it. When was the last time you saw Siri working as Apple advertised? Or S3 waking up as they showed? It doesn't happen in real life, but they still show it. No there was no declaration underneath. They got away with it. Nokia didn't. Because a) either it din't want to get away, instead wanted publicity or b) it has way too many competitors after all that taunts busting.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
one thing is for sure, they are gonna SMOKE the iPhone5 camera....it is going to be embarassment city for several weeks on the iPhone5. Can't wait for Nokia to get a hold of one.

I can't wait till Nokia gets on with this competition and then when people will see it they will still have something to pick on, like that case of #smokedbywindowsphone MSFT employee v/s some dude? One case to disregard the whole campaign?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Nokia needs to prove to the people that they were right and that in spite of this mishap, they weren't lying.

Sent from my DROID RaZr.

NOKIA already proved this. Go to youtube. Type the following:

Nokia Lumia 920 Cinemagraph
Nokia Lumia 920 lenses
Nokia Lumia 920 camera

Add DEMO to it.

You will find INDEPENDENT videos from tech journalists and whoever visited the event yesterday. They've posted their experience and NOT ONE video shows that what NOKIA demonstrated in the presentation was NOT real.

Of course this might not be 'proof' enough, again wait for Elop to call everyone personally to apologise. ;)

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You didn't give a benefit to any doubt and these mishaps only made it that much easier to build up your resolve. I'm over it. They lied about using the phone, you're lying about being interested. Back on ignore

If I didn't care for them, I wouldn't miss class to see their conference yesterday. Unlike Nokia, I don't have a need to lie or pretend to be something else. I was very interested (and still am) in a true Pureview Phone running WP8.

Anyway I'm on ignore so I don't know what I'm replying, but If I didn't cared I wouldn't be here.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
If I didn't care for them, I wouldn't miss class to see their conference yesterday. Unlike Nokia, I don't have a need to lie or pretend to be something else. I was very interested (and still am) in a true Pureview Phone running WP8.

Anyway I'm on ignore so I don't know what I'm replying, but If I didn't cared I wouldn't be here.
It's amazing how a person can get so tossed up over a complaint or some skepticism about an object. An object that isn't even theirs. It truly befuddles me. I have pity in my heart for those with corporate worship disease.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
On the plus side, at least the Lumia 920 scandal didn't involve forced labor making the phone in the week before its release...

Chinese students 'forced' to work on iPhone 5 sent back to school | The Verge

Definitely puts in perspective the fact that a Nokia ad should have said "simulated images" on the bottom of the screen but didn't.

Sad but true. They still find Human Trafficking and Forced Labor in the U.S. At least the Fed's bust it here when they find it, but it still happens here.

I think it was Cornell University that recently did a big study on it here, and of course it helped the Fed's go after it

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Samsung had a minor controversy not too long ago with pretty much blackmailing bloggers to make them market for them, or stranding them in Germany.

Similar thing happened for the Olympics.

But it was never brought up here.

And some people say that people hate on Samsung? LoL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786