09-17-2012 10:41 PM
170 123 ...
tools
    This is a great video:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cimDfEIEiu0[/YT]

But if you look at :27, you can see clearly that the "OIS ON" section wasn't shot by a dude riding a shaky bicycle and his Lumia 920. Instead, it was shot by a cameraman in a van, with what looks like a DLSR:

Troublesome, no? Nokia needs to release the raw video from the guy on the bike, if it really exists.
    saintforlife and X0LARIUM like this.
    09-05-2012 02:17 PM
    This is a great video:

But if you look at :27, you can see clearly that the "OIS ON" section wasn't shot by a dude riding a shaky bicycle and his Lumia 920. Instead, it was shot by a cameraman in a van, with what looks like a DLSR:

Click to view quoted image

Troublesome, no? Nokia needs to release the raw video from the guy on the bike, if it really exists.
    Oh dear.

Nice find OP! that's not going to look good for nokia should any press outlets/competitors get their hands on it.
    09-05-2012 02:22 PM
    I guess they never actually said it was filmed on a bike, but it's certainly implied. Sad. If you're going to pull a fast one, be smart enough to fake it well enough that no one can call your bluff.

Good catch.
    09-05-2012 02:31 PM
    This is a great video:

So you're accusing Nokia of fraud?

Who do you think was filming when both the guy and the girl were in the picture? Maybe the guy in the van?
    09-05-2012 02:35 PM
    Or was the van behind them for filming both riders? Cause there are shots of both riders, both the filmer and filmee.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    09-05-2012 02:36 PM
    If this was really faked, I must admire Nokia for the ability to put the van onto the carousel Just saying! ;)
    theefman likes this.
    09-05-2012 02:37 PM
    I didn't spot it originally. I saw someone's comment at engadget. However, I did see another potential bit of proof that the video is not legit. Notice the shadow of the cameraman from the carnival ride scene. Is it a Lumia 920, or a DSLR rig?

09-05-2012 02:39 PM
    Or it could be a guy on one of the swings holding his phone up.

Why would Nokia fake this knowing that the phone will be released and people can test it out for themselves?
    09-05-2012 02:42 PM
    Clearly in the shot with the van, there is no second rider. The footage shot from the DSLR in the van was passed off as footage shot by the guy on the bike with the 920.

In the carnival ride, the shadow of the cameraman is ambiguous, but it doesn't look like a guy holding a 920 to me.
    09-05-2012 02:44 PM
    Just found this:

Which is not proof that the official video is not fake, but prooves that the image stabilisation is really working, imho.
    09-05-2012 02:49 PM
    OH SNAP.

Sucks to be Nokia right now. Their stock has taken a 15% hit today. Wonder if that already reflects this fiasco.
    09-05-2012 02:49 PM
    Just found this:

Which is not proof that the official video is not fake, but prooves that the image stabilisation is really working, imho.
    Good find, but I don't see that much stabilization going on in that recording. Just mho.
    09-05-2012 02:56 PM
    It could be a fake, but it could be genuine as well. I looked at it a couple of times and can't quite determine if the angle is such that the rider shooting the alleged video would even show up in the reflection. It could still be that the guy in the van is slightly in front of the second rider. IDK, I'm sure there will be some clarification.
    09-05-2012 03:02 PM
    If it's fake, the other manufacturers will bring it up to the FTC.
    09-05-2012 03:06 PM
    Check out this vid (via commenter at pocketnow) and jump to 1:30:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKWRI9RoxN0[/YT]

Shows the OIS work amazingly for still photos. It might just work as well for video as well.
    sinime likes this.
    09-05-2012 03:12 PM
    The ambiguous shadow on the carousel could be this smartphone rig:

They do have an on/off comparison after all...

On another note - is that a magenta Lumia 920?
    09-05-2012 03:17 PM
    Check out this vid (via commenter at pocketnow) and jump to 1:30:

Shows the OIS work amazingly for still photos. It might just work as well for video as well.
    Looking at that video, I'm sold. I'll take 2. Well, have to wait for upgrade eligibility first :(

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    09-05-2012 03:20 PM
    The ambiguous shadow on the carousel could be this smartphone rig:

They do have an on/off comparison after all...
    Could be, but the on/off comparison are (at least) two different takes. If they were the same shot, they girl would be doing the same thing (fiddling with her hair, making faces) in both shots.
    09-05-2012 03:20 PM
    OK, commenter on youtube posted this from Nokia's official blog:

In addition, the OIS video, above, was not shot using the Lumia 920.
    End of story.
    09-05-2012 03:34 PM
    So it was probably some sort of prototype rig.

I'd like to see video from the final 920.

The image stabilization still shots have been amazing. If it transfers to video (which I expect it would, since they're claiming it), then this is a must-have.
    09-05-2012 03:40 PM
    It's not fake, they just never claim that it's the 920:

Taking PureView to the next level – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

"In addition, the OIS video, above, was not shot using the Lumia 920."
    09-05-2012 04:00 PM
    It's not fake, they just never claim that it's the 920:

Taking PureView to the next level – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

"In addition, the OIS video, above, was not shot using the Lumia 920."
    LOL. So it's not fake, just intentionally misleading.
    Mitlov and Winterfang like this.
    09-05-2012 04:14 PM
    From the Verge:

Nokia's new PureView ad is amazing, too bad it's faked | The Verge

The new PureView camera might be amazing, but a bizarre easter egg has revealed that the company's advertisements don't give an honest view of its technology. Amid Nokia's flurry of press today if you haven't heard, they released a new flagship phone along with some other gear one video advertisement in particular caught our eye. In the ad, Nokia shows off the PureView's image stabilization technology. The opening segment (which, importantly, isn't qualified by a "screen images simulated" notice), shows a young man and woman cheerily riding bikes along a scenic river. As he films her breezily laughing, the ad shows side-by-side video obviously intended to represent the phone's video capabilities. On the left, Nokia shows the non-stabilized version, which, predictably, looks terrible, and on the right the ad shows the perfectly smooth capture, purportedly enabled by Nokia's optical image stabilization technology. The only problem is that the video is faked.

As you can see in the video and photo above, there's a curious reflection in the window of the trailer in the background. It's not a young man riding his bicycle alongside the cheerful model, but instead a big white van with a lighting rig and a cameraman standing in the doorway with what appears to be a large camera rig.
    09-05-2012 04:25 PM
    I'll wait for the honest reviews before I make judgement. Teasers and adverts should always be taken with a pinch of salt.
    09-05-2012 04:30 PM
    Merged threads
    Big Supes likes this.
    09-05-2012 04:33 PM
170 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD