VergeVlad Savov Nails it

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
link
Nokia starts over, again: stunning new phones, no release date in sight | The Verge

Nokia has been talking about the future for so long that today should have been about the present. Today needed to be about delivery instead of more promissory notes. Instead Nokia did what it usually does: excite fans with an array of sweet new features, mostly on the hardware side, but fail them by offering no firm release details

Could have said it better myself.

This is what hurt NOKIA before windows phone and they are still ( corportate culture ) not understanding the new dynamics of the market, short attention span of tech community and instant gratification of end users.

Apple will have new device in people hand soon
How is it that lowly Motorola new phones ( press conference today!) are able to release price, carrier and availability while Elop/Nokia can only say...soon.

Here's a hint don't try to out Apple by announcing new products when they are not ready. If WP8 is not ready then don't announce anything. It only makes you look unprofessional and unorganized and like you dont know what your doing...this doesnt help NOKIA

LG is priming a quad-core phone for release in the fall and NOKIA should have designed a phone with Nov 2012 spec not April 2012

/rant

Last edited:

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Forgot to add accompanying video

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TEWdhn3-E8[/YT]

If Windows Phone 8 was ready to go today, Nokia would have stolen the show with release dates and pricing. As it stands, it's a paper launch ~ @tomwarren

Last edited:

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Basically thought the same thing I did except it took me like 30 minutes to type up my feelings! Although I feel MS is as much to blame as Nokia.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Basically thought the same thing I did except it took me like 30 minutes to type up my feelings! Although I feel MS is as much to blame as Nokia.

MS maybe the blame, but then NOKIA should have delayed the press conference UNTIL everything was ready. Even Elop new this technique was a problem when he first joined Nokia...so I guess the corporate culture got to him so rinse, recycle and repeat

Something is really fishy about WP8. We know everything about Mango and had dev tools MONTHS before the final release @clubdirthill

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I think it is pretty important that they got some of the information out before the iPhone came out. People can wait a month or two for something they know they want, they won't wait for something they don't know they want.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So I guess this applies to Samsung's Ativ already announced Ativ and HTC's to be announced WP8 line? Or is it actually better that Nokia got the message out about the tech they will be bringing to their WP8 devices and not wait to be drowned out by the iphone hype?

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
So I guess this applies to Samsung's Ativ already announced Ativ and HTC's to be announced WP8 line? Or is it actually better that Nokia got the message out about the tech they will be bringing to their WP8 devices and not wait to be drowned out by the iphone hype?

I would say it would apply except Samsung announcement was pretty basic and during an otherwise slow week. This week we have a lot of tech news coming out and anything next week will definitely be drowned out by the 90000 articles guessing what Apple will officially announce. They all would be better served by waiting closer to launch to get people excited and then keep them excited by actually launching something.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
All this talk about lack of pricing points and release date. I can't say to know how much bearing that really has, but honestly that's never stopped people before on other products such as game consoles and cars.

Similar in idea as pg2g, if there's something people want they'll wait for it. With that said, if this 920 impressed people today despite a lackluster atmosphere you can bet they'll keep an eye out for it.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I would say it would apply except Samsung announcement was pretty basic and during an otherwise slow week. This week we have a lot of tech news coming out and anything next week will definitely be drowned out by the 90000 articles guessing what Apple will officially announce. They all would be better served by waiting closer to launch to get people excited and then keep them excited by actually launching something.

I think their goal is to get people to wait for their device instead of buying the iPhone. If they said nothing, well...

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I think their goal is to get people to wait for their device instead of buying the iPhone. If they said nothing, well...
If their strategy to get people who may be on the fence between an iPhone and some Nokia device is to announce a phone and then say "We can't say when you can get it yet but someday you can" vs Apple's likely two week launch window after their announcement why would you wait?

What is compelling you? Try to answer as the average Joe whose tech news comes from CNN because if that is their strategy they are doomed.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
If their strategy to get people who may be on the fence between an iPhone and some Nokia device is to announce a phone and then say "We can't say when you can get it yet but someday you can" vs Apple's likely two week launch window after their announcement why would you wait?

What is compelling you? Try to answer as the average Joe whose tech news comes from CNN because if that is their strategy they are doomed.

I think their goal was to build some interest/excitement, which did happen. Claiming it didn't is lunacy.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

Didn't they give a vague release like the holidays or Q4? I think that should be enough for someone that is into the phone to wait. Especially when the iPhone is announced in a week and isn't offering anything new outside of another row of icons on the home screen.

It would have been nice if they announced a date, but I don't think it is as big of a deal as you make it. People know what the holidays means.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
It probably isn't I am just worried because I really want WP to succeed and I feel Nokia is MS best bet because their business depends on it vs Samsung or HTC who probably makes a bulk of their profit from Android. I just think the Apple news is going to steamroll the excitement they did get and those who may have considered it will get the hot item the news won't shut up about even if it's the same device just taller that's been out for 2+ years now

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

You're assuming that the average joe isn't smart enough to look beyond apple or android. What makes you think there aren't a million average joe's out there that hear about the Nokia event on CNN and think, "wow that thing looks great!" ?

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I love The Verge, but I think sometimes they're just too wrapped up in their own little tech circle jerk to see the bigger picture. Similarly, Chris Ziegler wrote about the lack of cyan in the 920's palette. (It'll come in Q1 2013, I'm sure. Stay strong, cyan lovers.)

This was a disruption event, like the Surface announcement before Google I/O. This isn't about announcing a product to buy tomorrow, but about announcing a reason to maybe not get the iPhone (or some other competing product). It's about leaving enough info unknown so that people are hungry for more. Look at how little we really know about the Surface, and yet after people have played with working Windows 8 tablets and devices, there's still people thinking about waiting for Surface.

Keep in mind, we still haven't had a thorough breakdown of all the new WP8 features. Similarly, we still haven't seen the iPhone 5, and I refuse to believe that it's just a widescreen iPhone 4s; it'll have at least a couple potentially game changing things we don't know about. And ultimately, that's what Microsoft doesn't want; to tell the story of Windows Phone 8 in it's entirety, then tell the world to wait a month while Apple announces the iPhone 5, and sells tens of millions a couple weeks later.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
some quotes from Charlie Kindel ex Project Manager and evangelist of Windows Phone 7. He seems to think that there is something wrong with the software being late and not the OEM. Sorta of make sense...SDK is late, Joe B showing people hub all over again. 920 reviewers told not to venture around the OS or else.

The fact the software is not ready (has it slipped?) does not bode well. If the phones could have gone on sale TODAY...

Lack of price means lack of seriousness by carriers. See my Geekwire post...

Commentary: Windows Phone

The problem is Windows Phone 8. Cool hardware tweaks mean nothing if Windows Phone 8 still stinks. I saw nothing in Belfiore's WP8 demo that blew me away. But I spoke to Frank Shaw before the event. He said more stuff coming for WP8. Kind of odd they're announcing this stuff in stages.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
So Microsoft should have waited till October 12th to announce the Surface RT? Yeah, that's a great idea.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99