View Poll Results: What makes a device AWESOME!?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Specifications

2 5.26%
  • Performance

36 94.74%
09-10-2012 12:38 PM
75 123
tools
    Without performance, specs do not mean anything. Who cares if you have a turbo-charged, big block V8 in your car if it can't even make it to the corner without stalling?
    09-09-2012 03:44 PM
    Performance
    09-09-2012 04:02 PM
    Without the proper specs. We wouldn't have wp7.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    09-09-2012 05:24 PM
    Without the proper specs. We wouldn't have wp7.
    Care to elaborate why? Hardware standardization differs from spec-sheet based evaluation of technological progress (if hardware standardization is what you are referring to).
    09-09-2012 05:29 PM
    It's not the hardware specs that determine if an app is laggy/buggy.

A crappy app is a crappy app. Period.

Cases in point:

AmazingWeather vs. AccuWeather ... AmazingWeather is very fast and doesn't lag; Accuweather does.

Slacker Radio lags (for Winterfang, at least) but I've really enjoyed iHeartRadio's app the handful of times I've used it (generally prefer my own Zune playlists). I've heard Last.fm is decent too.

IMDb is one of the prettiest and nicest apps I've used, and it's fast and stable.

The point is... if some apps work great and some apps work poorly on the same phone with the same OS version, guess where the problem is... THE APP.

Also, if you have an app that sucks, why continue to use it when there are plenty of alternatives?

I had a problem with the app "RemoteDesktop" performing terribly, so I switched to ConnectMe, and I'm happy as a pig in poop. I hated Weather Channel so I moved to a whole bunch of apps, and now I've settled on Amazing Weather.

And remember... if you have a problem with an app, rate and review it so the developer knows about it (and be specific, don't just say "it's slow and sucks").
    a5cent likes this.
    09-09-2012 05:44 PM
    Windows phone 7 have specs. It started off with 1ghz processed and some others.
    Care to elaborate why? Hardware standardization differs from spec-sheet based evaluation of technological progress (if hardware standardization is what you are referring to).

09-09-2012 05:47 PM
    And the reason why some high end games are not on wp7 is due to the fact that the specs won't allow it to perform properly. That'll change with WP8.

09-09-2012 05:49 PM
    And the reason why some high end games are not on wp7 is due to the fact that the specs won't allow it to perform properly. That'll change with WP8.
    Well, it's more to do with API limitations and lack of Native Code and DirectX than the hardware specifications. But like you said, with WP8 all of those issues are overcome AND we gain hardware advances, so we should indeed see huge improvements on both sides of the equation.
    Reflexx and a5cent like this.
    09-09-2012 06:09 PM
    This poll makes no sense, because one does not work without the other... try to have a functional WP8 device on a low end device with 256Mb RAM...
    09-09-2012 06:25 PM
    Amen!
    This poll makes no sense, because one does not work without the other... try to have a functional WP8 device on a low end device with 256Mb RAM...

09-09-2012 06:57 PM
    That really isn't relevant because it's lower than the minimum requirements.
    09-09-2012 06:58 PM
    This poll makes no sense, because one does not work without the other
    Actually, it does make sense. I'm guessing you assume a high correlation exists between the numbers that are typically presented to us on spec-sheets and actual hardware performance. That assumption is not totally wrong, but it certainly isn't correct either (read my post #24 in this thread).
    try to have a functional WP8 device on a low end device with 256Mb RAM...
    That is entirely possible, although you probably wouldn't be able to keep more than one or two apps open at the same time. In this thread we are discussing computational performance, and the spec you mentioned (RAM capacity) is rather irrelevant in that regard. For example, WP7 devices with 1 GB of RAM perform no differently from those with 512 MB.
    Reflexx likes this.
    09-09-2012 07:00 PM
    Blah it may work, but it would be ****ty. Thus proving the point that specs matter. Is bumping the ram up to 512 would allow better operations and the addition of being able to add more apps, that's proving the point for us that say specs matter.

09-09-2012 07:46 PM
    Actually, it does make sense. I'm guessing you assume a high correlation exists between the numbers that are typically presented to us on spec-sheets and actual hardware performance. That assumption is not totally wrong, but it certainly isn't correct either (read my post #24 in this thread).

That is entirely possible, although you probably wouldn't be able to keep more than one or two apps open at the same time. In this thread we are discussing computational performance, and the spec you mentioned (RAM capacity) is rather irrelevant in that regard. For example, WP7 devices with 1 GB of RAM perform no differently from those with 512 MB.
    What if WP8 is not so great and apps keeps crashing? There is a lot of bashing towards Android, but with Ice Cream Sandwich, it became a very stable OS, WP7 was such a basic OS that if it had to crash all the time it would have been a shame...
    09-09-2012 07:58 PM
    Blah it may work, but it would be ****ty. Thus proving the point that specs matter. Is bumping the ram up to 512 would allow better operations and the addition of being able to add more apps, that's proving the point for us that say specs matter.

I don't think anyone is claiming that they don't matter AT ALL.

But when judging a phone, what is more important to look for?

Should you pick up the phone and see how it runs? Should you just look at the spec sheet?

If you have one phone that has great specs, and another phone that you know runs great, which matters more?
    09-09-2012 08:02 PM
    What if WP8 is not so great and apps keeps crashing? There is a lot of bashing towards Android, but with Ice Cream Sandwich, it became a very stable OS, WP7 was such a basic OS that if it had to crash all the time it would have been a shame...
    ...and you're off topic.
    09-09-2012 08:03 PM
    Specs are irrelevant if the software isn't optimized. Performance is what matters. Performance=end user experience. Specs can certainly help deliver performance, but they are just one piece of the puzzle.
    09-09-2012 08:38 PM
    ...and you're off topic.
    This whole tread is off topic...
    09-09-2012 08:41 PM
    This whole tread is off topic...
    Agreed.

All this talk about specs vs performance doesn't belong in a thread about specs vs performance.

But to get back on topic...how about them 49ers?
    a5cent and 1jaxstate1 like this.
    09-09-2012 08:48 PM
    And I'd you dont have the proper hardware, you can optimize for decades, and it still will run like crap
    Specs are irrelevant if the software isn't optimized. Performance is what matters. Performance=end user experience. Specs can certainly help deliver performance, but they are just one piece of the puzzle.

09-09-2012 08:49 PM
    And I'd you dont have the proper hardware, you can optimize for decades, and it still will run like crap

Like I said. Specs are one piece of the puzzle. Software is the other piece.
    09-09-2012 08:56 PM
    Blah it may work, but it would be ****ty. Thus proving the point that specs matter.
    I find that statement neither convincing nor do I think it proves anything in that form:

a) What is your definition of ****ty
    b) On what do you base your assessment that it would be ****ty
    Is bumping the ram up to 512 would allow better operations and the addition of being able to add more apps, that's proving the point for us that say specs matter.
    As Winning Guy mentioned, I never said specs don't matter. What I said is that RAM capacity plays almost no role in determining computational performance, which is what we have been discussing so far in this thread. Of course RAM has other specs (like bandwidth and latency) which do have an impact on computational performance, but you won't find that information on any consumer accessible smartphone spec-sheet (unfortunately).

I would recommend you look at it this way:

Computer technology is complicated. Really really complicated. If you aren't a software engineer or design integrated circuits, then you can safely assume you have no snowball's chance in **** of really understanding how hardware specs impact performance (or very vaguely at best). Under these circumstances, your only chance of determining what you are getting for your hard earned cash is to measure a devices performance using real apps and games (or benchmarking apps if that is all we've got).

It's not that specs don't matter. It's that most of us have no chance of correctly interpreting them. Furthermore, those specs you see on consumer oriented spec-sheets don't even list 1% of the specs you would need to accurately judge performance... the notion you could is nothing short of ridiculous.

Measuring performance is simply a much more reliable way of getting that information... much more reliable than trying to guess how a device might perform based on very sparse consumer oriented spec-sheets.
    HeyCori likes this.
    09-09-2012 08:57 PM
    Agreed.

All this talk about specs vs performance doesn't belong in a thread about specs vs performance.

But to get back on topic...how about them 49ers?
    Is that even needed like come on... I gave my opinion and you guys act like smart asses.

I have a Windows 7 PC, I recently had to change my graphic card and add 2gb of RAM to play Battlefield on it, now tell that I did not need to up the specs on my PC because Windows 7 is so great and wont crash...

Specs are essential no matter which OS... There is HD games on Android and iOS that requires higher specs... WP7 was mid-range, no matter how stable it is, it was not good enough to runs big games and do real multitasking. Now WP8 devices are around the corner and they have higher specs and oh SURPRISE, real multitasking is coming...

Specs are essential..
    09-09-2012 09:00 PM
    I agree.
    Like I said. Specs are one piece of the puzzle. Software is the other piece.
    09-09-2012 09:01 PM
    I have a electronics engineering degree. I've been part of the initial design, prototype, testing, and released product, I understand how it works. I've agree when it's a mixture of both specs and performance.
    I find that statement neither convincing nor do I think it proves anything in that form:

a) What is your definition of ****ty
    b) On what do you base your assessment that it would be ****ty

As Winning Guy mentioned, I never said specs don't matter. What I said is that RAM capacity plays almost no role in determining computational performance, which is what we have been discussing so far in this thread. Of course RAM has other specs (like bandwidth and latency) which do have an impact on computational performance, but you won't find that information on any consumer accessible smartphone spec-sheet (unfortunately).

I would recommend you look at it this way:

Computer technology is complicated. Really really complicated. If you aren't a software engineer or design integrated circuits, then you can safely assume you have no snowball's chance in **** of really understanding how hardware specs impact performance (or very vaguely at best). Under these circumstances, your only chance of determining what you are getting for your hard earned cash is to measure a devices performance using real apps and games (or benchmarking apps if that is all we've got).

It's not that specs don't matter. It's that most of us have no chance of correctly interpreting them. Furthermore, those specs you see on consumer oriented spec-sheets don't even list 1% of the specs you would need to accurately judge performance... the notion you could is nothing short of ridiculous.

Measuring performance is simply a much more reliable way of getting that information... much more reliable than trying to guess how a device might perform based on very sparse consumer oriented spec-sheets.
    09-09-2012 09:03 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD