What the Tech | 820 = $99, 920 = $149

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
That's a good point, and I'd never really considered it before. Seems reasonable that if we pay full price we'd get about $25 deducted from our bill, right? :dry

Although, you originally bought a phone at subsidized rate for a 2 year contract... so really, you're still paying for the original phone subsidy during that time, even if you pay full price for a new phone at your own discretion. I guess that's probably why.

In other words, my $25/month savings idea only works if you're outside the 2 year contract and don't want to engage in a new contract.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Does it even matter? The bulk of the cost is in the plan.

The 820 and 920 are rather alike, actually. I don't see much of an incentive to buy the 920 if the 820 is much cheaper.

They aren't that much alike.

820 doesn't have pureview
way lower battery capacity
low resolution (is still decent though)
NO GORILLA GLASS ( terrible decision)
5Mega pixel camera (it seems that it's not going to be any better than the 710)
Lower screen size

If you see it that way is just a 710 with a bigger screen and better processor, not even close to the high end 920.

Is like the 820 is the Blaze4G while the 920 is the GS3. It does have an SD card slot but the max capacity is 32gig so you will get 40 maximum.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The carriers with the widest coverage in the US don't have different prices for plans with unsubsidized phones.

So basically, you're paying the price of a subsidizing plan whether you get a phone or not.

THIS. This is why I would never, ever, ever, EVER (thank you Taylor Swift for getting that stuck in my head) buy an unsubsidized phone.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
THIS. This is why I would never, ever, ever, EVER (thank you Taylor Swift for getting that stuck in my head) buy an unsubsidized phone.
I have to or else I lose unlimited data. I still come out ahead in the end. 150-200 phone investment + 120+ a month for two years or 650-700 phone investment and 80 a month for two years. 2,620 vs 3,080.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
What are the chances that the price of the Nokia Lumia 920 will fall to $150 or even $100 around Black Friday/Thanksgiving time on Amazon and other places for AT&T upgrades (not new account)? The 920 will be steal at those prices.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
What are the chances that the price of the Nokia Lumia 920 will fall to $150 or even $100 around Black Friday/Thanksgiving time on Amazon and other places for AT&T upgrades (not new account)? The 920 will be steal at those prices.

I expect this...I remember back in 2010 when I bought the Samsung Focus for $199 and then have amazon wireless(?) offer the same phone for 1 penny(?)

I will buy my next phone during this time period. Plus by then some reviews on how the HW is performing should be out by then by real day-2-day users.

*as mentioned, for certain carriers it makes no difference if u buy your phone outright or from them so the $200 means very little to your monthly bill. However, it will allow me to take the $200 and buy other stuff that I would not normally be able to buy due to house rules :mad:

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I still think the Lumia 920 will be cheaper than the iPhone 5. Just a perfect way for Nokia to undercut Apple and really entice folks to consider WP8

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss