09-25-2012 01:01 PM
58 123
tools
    I really hope that Nokia is going to be working hard to get at least a Lumia 920 per carrier, but I can already see more ATIV s than Lumia 920 in Canadian carriers, it is Apple and Samsung all the way up here.
    09-21-2012 08:38 AM
    Y'all know US wise, Samsung had all of their phones on AT&T right? Y'all think this time around is going to be different, with one device?
    09-21-2012 08:45 AM
    Samsung has all their phones on T-Mobile as well.

And their hero phone is available on all four major carriers (the S III).
    09-21-2012 09:45 AM
    During Elop's live Q&A today, someone asked about the 1700mhz being absent on the 920:

Joseph Volpe 4:12 AM

Why doesn't the 920 have 1700 MHz band? (o0260o)

Stephen Elop 4:13 AM

Good question. Again, we made design tradeoffs based on the different consumer and operator interests. We have to be very deliberate about these choices because of the interplay of antennas and other things in the device. We'll keep watching this to gauge demand.

I don't know what to make of that. I would say that he might be implying that it is going to be an exclusive (to AT&T) but the Verizon rumors would say otherwise.

Also, possible that he is implying that a 1700mhz compatible 920 might come along down the road.
    09-25-2012 12:29 PM
    HTC 8X: Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile, but not US Cellular.
    Lumia 920: AT&T exclusive.
    Ativ S: Deafening silence on availability.

Here's a threat. If nobody brings a flagship device to [edit]US Cellular[/edit], I may switch to the Galaxy S3. I don't want to, but I do want nice hardware. US Cellular came out with a very enthusiastic press release about WP8 about how excited they were for the OS and how they were going to market it and promote the **** out of it...and so far, the WP8 OEMs have utterly ignored them. Samsung gave them the Galaxy S3.

If the WP8 OEMs don't branch out beyond the Big Three (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile) with WP8 devices...I'm sure I won't be the only one looking elsewhere.
    If US Cellular wants it THEY have to woo the oems HTC Nokia etc to get it THEY have put their moolah where their mouth is! THEY have to bring it! And they have said they will. And they have built up their nationwide LTE network for WP8 and other devices to use so it should not be a problem.
    09-25-2012 12:54 PM
    I know people at AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile.

AT&T wants Lumia 920s. T-Mobile would LOVE to have the 920, but cannot afford to outbid an AT&T "exclusive." And Sprint doesn't care about anything other than iOS and Android.

Ultimately, there's no reason Nokia couldn't get the 920 on every carrier. They have more financial resources and greater buzz than Palm did when Palm brought the Pre series to Sprint, Verizon and AT&T.
    Nokia I am sure would love to have the device on all four or five major carriers THEY have to want it enough to pay what Nokia wants for the devices! If the carriers wont pay (think Sprint and ...) it wont happen The carriers have to step up and grab it.
    09-25-2012 12:58 PM
    I don't know what to make of that. I would say that he might be implying that it is going to be an exclusive (to AT&T) but the Verizon rumors would say otherwise.
    As I posted in another thread somewhere else, I'm not yet ready to believe the Verizon rumors. As far as I can tell it all comes from one site, using one person as a source. Unless someone else confirms Verizon, I think you might be right about Elop implying an ATT exclusive.
    09-25-2012 12:59 PM
    I did wonder this myself. Maybe they could start sending the heavies round to make/break their deals. :D

I think the consumers need to get aggressive with their carriers. I've pretty much decided I'm ditching O2. They're so far up Apple's behind at the moment, that it's actually effecting the customer service. I phoned them yesterday and got a long pre-recorded message about how to go about upgrading to an iPhone 5. I hung up and went online to see if I could get help (I required a new micro sim). Can you believe that when I was answering questions related to my enquiry, two out of the three options were "I want to upgrade to the iPhone 5" and "I am interested in the iPhone 5. The last option was "None of the above". I was like - WTF is this sh*t?

In the meantime, they don't even stock the Lumia 710 or 900. I won't count on them for Wp8.
    I am so glad I buy my phones unlocked from Carphone Warehouse. They seem keen on WP8 from what I can tell. Buy phone carrier unlocked, pop my 3 SIM in (****, I need to get a micro-SIM!) and away I go.
    09-25-2012 01:01 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD