Does the Nokia Lumia 920 remind you of this LG

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
It looks a bit like a black and white photo of the 920, beaten with an ugly stick until the blood stopped flowing... :)

Frankly, I think the "this phone looks like the other phone" stuff is overdone. Every touchscreen device will more-or-less resemble every other, due to the basics of design and human physiology. Unfortunately, Apple's patent suit has kicked off all the ridiculous "copycat" claims over really basic and long-established product features and UI.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It looks a bit like a black and white photo of the 920, beaten with an ugly stick until the blood stopped flowing... :)

Frankly, I think the "this phone looks like the other phone" stuff is overdone. Every touchscreen device will more-or-less resemble every other, due to the basics of design and human physiology. Unfortunately, Apple's patent suit has kicked off all the ridiculous "copycat" claims over really basic and long-established product features and UI.
You're right. The patent trolling is absurd.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You're right. The patent trolling is absurd.

Personally, i can completely see Apples POV. They've created a premium product that everyone can recognise.

You just need to look at some of the older Samsung phones, and tablets, to see Samsung have blatantly copied the design, made some small changes, then sold it, knowing there will be people who want an iDevice, can't afford one, so get something that looks almost identical, and is half the price.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The Optimus L3 was announced earlier this year. The 920 is based on the N9, which was announced in June 2011. Why it would remind you of some random LG phone announced half a year after Nokia's reference chassis is beyond me.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
The Optimus L3 was announced earlier this year. The 920 is based on the N9, which was announced in June 2011. Why it would remind you of some random LG phone announced half a year after Nokia's reference chassis is beyond me.
Interesting, I didn't know that, in fact... I didn't know much about Nokia before they took the windows phone ship other than they made tough phones in the past, but now every smartphone is fragile and much NOT be dropped accidentally..

If Apple wasn't suing everybody for basic design phones, tablets and whatever they feel that it might like one of their product, then we wouldn't even talk about that, we would live with the "horrible" truth that a company may have manufactured a phone with round corners too.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Personally, i can completely see Apples POV. They've created a premium product that everyone can recognise.

You just need to look at some of the older Samsung phones, and tablets, to see Samsung have blatantly copied the design, made some small changes, then sold it, knowing there will be people who want an iDevice, can't afford one, so get something that looks almost identical, and is half the price.

You know of course Apple's patent claims in many cases are under "prior art" and as such, are silly. They patented scrolling for god's sake. Not to mention "slide to unlock" - a feature found on a device two years before the iPhone was released. That goes well beyond absurd.

Last edited:

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, I didn't know that, in fact... I didn't know much about Nokia before they took the windows phone ship other than they made tough phones in the past, but now every smartphone is fragile and much NOT be dropped accidentally..
Unfortunately, the market doesn't demand rock solid devices, not to mention that it's pretty hard when you have a huge piece of glass on the front.

The Lumia 800, 900 and 920 are all based on the N9 design, though for the purpose of my argument the 800 would have worked too (it was announced in late 2011).

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)