Three sizes of HTC WPs coming?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The general rumor round up for VZW is high end HTC, Nokia Lumia 822, and a lowish tier Samsung. The Ativ S is possible too.

I'm glad to hear Verizon is getting a high end WP8, but I'm pretty disappointed it's not going to be a Nokia 920. Hopefully HTC will wow us with their offerings.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've previously said I wouldn't get a Lumia 820, but I'm going to back off of that statement after watching some videos. There are some features from the 920 it doesn't have, but overall it's a pretty nice phone.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I've previously said I wouldn't get a Lumia 820, but I'm going to back off of that statement after watching some videos. There are some features from the 920 it doesn't have, but overall it's a pretty nice phone.
I'm having a tough time getting past the whole no gorilla glass thing to give it a serious look.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm having a tough time getting past the whole no gorilla glass thing to give it a serious look.

That and screen res I just can't go with the 820 on T-MO

The only issues I really have with the 820 are the camera, screen resolution and no gorilla glass. If Verizon doesn't get the 920 I will give serious thought to getting the 820, unless HTC really blows me away with their WP offerings. Samsung isn't really in the discussion for me with the weaker reception of their phones.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Right now, HSPA+ is the best radio option for quad-core. T-Mo is serious about getting bragging rights against the big carriers, so the "Zenith" makes a lot of sense for magenta.

I know I'll get a little bit of pleasure out of saying "yeah, my phone's modem is about as fast as yours, but I have FOUR cores" to all the AT&T and Verizon people out there, and also pointing out that I have uncapped everything for less than half the price of 3 or 4 gigs of data on their network.

But I'm obnoxious that way. :D

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Right now, HSPA+ is the best radio option for quad-core. T-Mo is serious about getting bragging rights against the big carriers, so the "Zenith" makes a lot of sense for magenta.

I know I'll get a little bit of pleasure out of saying "yeah, my phone's modem is about as fast as yours, but I have FOUR cores" to all the AT&T and Verizon people out there, and also pointing out that I have uncapped everything for less than half the price of 3 or 4 gigs of data on their network.

Fortunately for you you're in an area where T-Mobile works. I would love to switch, but their service isn't very good where I'm at, so I'll stick with Verizon.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Don't get me wrong -- you shouldn't have your carrier determine which device you use. If you prefer Big Red, you should be able to get whatever you want. Apple and Samsung have both shown how effective that strategy is.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

Good for T-Mobile, I really want to see them succeed because I think AT&T and Verizon charge too much and I hate how Verizon is forcing people into their shared data plans. T-Mobile's HSPA+ isn't that far behind AT&T's LTE.

Report: T-Mobile’s HSPA+ almost as fast as AT&T’s LTE | RootMetrics

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, a friend visiting me from New York brought his Galaxy Note on AT&T with him.

We did a 4G speed test, head-to-head. My little Radar is limited to HSPA 14.4, his GN has full LTE.

My download stream was 7.6 Mbit/second, upload was 2.2. His downstream was 38 Mbit/second, upstream was 11.1!

HSPA+42 would have made a big difference, and the Radar is getting a little creaky as the "high end Windows Phone on T-Mobile." And I say that as someone who loves his little Radar.

The new stuff cannot come soon enough.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
To be fair, a friend visiting me from New York brought his Galaxy Note on AT&T with him.

We did a 4G speed test, head-to-head. My little Radar is limited to HSPA 14.4, his GN has full LTE.

My download stream was 7.6 Mbit/second, upload was 2.2. His downstream was 38 Mbit/second, upstream was 11.1!

HSPA+42 would have made a big difference, and the Radar is getting a little creaky as the "high end Windows Phone on T-Mobile." And I say that as someone who loves his little Radar.

The new stuff cannot come soon enough.

In some places the LTE network is new enough that there isn't really anyone on it, which is why he's getting such insane speeds. Verizon, on the other hand, just has lots of spectrum.

Let's see what happens when everyone gets the LTE iPhone, and what happens to LTE speeds. I'm not saying the speeds are going to drop off a cliff, but it'll be interesting. To me at least, because I like this kind of stuff.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
True. T-Mo's 28 million users are on a network with as much bandwidth as the AT&T one with 100 million. Should mean lots of freaky-fast speed for Magneta-Men once we get our sexy HSPA+42 WPs. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12