I am not sure what to say

I mean this is the work WP8/OEM and MS have to find hard against. It wont be easy and calling them names won't change anything. Dismissing them as being stupid won't solve the problem...

Jimmy Kimmel showed the iPhone 4S to random people on the street, passing it off as the iPhone 5...
    Seriously, just throw in the flag. who can compete against this!!! :-)
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rdIWKytq_q4[/YT]

Forget spec wars and fancy new HW features...just somehow, someway get more people like this who will be excited about the Brand New Nokia 710 or Samsung Focus or even...HTC Surround

Enjoy :-)
    Big Supes likes this.
    09-13-2012 11:08 AM
    I don't even know what to say about this. It just shows how truly it is just the name that people go to. It is APPLE it is the best.
    09-13-2012 11:38 AM
    As if there was any question as to why most apple buyers are Sheeple.
    09-13-2012 11:45 AM
    Don't buy the iPhone 5. The production of it requires huge amounts of dihydrogen monoxide, which is also used in nuclear reactors, illicit drug manufacture and the cultivation of GMO crops...
    phirefly likes this.
    09-13-2012 12:00 PM

I mean. I don't even know what to say. Like seriously I really don't. They have the same phone in the other hand and they can't even tell its the same which is absolutely horrifying. Heck why does Apple even improve their phones no one even can tell if the screens are the same size.
    09-13-2012 12:17 PM
    I'd remind everyone that a mere 10 years ago, Microsoft was the brand that was "best," and Apple was a weirdo brand for creatives who want to show how "different" they are. These situations are not insurmountable. Google's success with Android, despite Android's many failings, illustrates this well.
    a5cent likes this.
    09-13-2012 12:49 PM
    Don't buy the iPhone 5. The production of it requires huge amounts of dihydrogen monoxide, which is also used in nuclear reactors, illicit drug manufacture and the cultivation of GMO crops...
    Yeah, I know what you mean about that Dihydrogen Monoxide. But I think I will be ok. I usually have some around everyday. lol.;)
    09-13-2012 02:03 PM
    I'd remind everyone that a mere 10 years ago, Microsoft was the brand that was "best," and Apple was a weirdo brand for creatives who want to show how "different" they are. These situations are not insurmountable. Google's success with Android, despite Android's many failings, illustrates this well.

I agree! WP8 fans can be called wp8Sheep in a few years if MS spends a lil more on marketing + using different ad agency + persistence.

"Pound the message into users head."

"Hey...what u thing about the new Lumia 955 (shows users 920)" #DreamBig
    09-13-2012 02:10 PM
    How dare people call them iSheep! I mean, they're just a very special kind of consumer. :D
    09-13-2012 02:25 PM
    Apple is still basically a niche brand. I have not worked in an office yet that had more apple than windows computers and I am in design.
    09-13-2012 06:41 PM
    I've worked in the chemical and automotive industries. There were zero Macs in either company.
    09-13-2012 07:01 PM
    In PCs, Apple remains insubstantial. In mobile, different story.
    09-14-2012 01:20 AM
    It's sad but this is reality.

Still, for the laughs they probably didn't show the footage when people aren't fooled. And this gives me some hope. Some.
    09-14-2012 02:14 AM
    I'd remind everyone that a mere 10 years ago, Microsoft was the brand that was "best," and Apple was a weirdo brand for creatives who want to show how "different" they are.
    Microsoft was never cool, no one ever went crazy for a Windows launch (okay, maybe not no one, but comparatively speaking).
    09-14-2012 05:34 AM
    Microsoft was never cool, no one ever went crazy for a Windows launch (okay, maybe not no one, but comparatively speaking).
    When Windows 95 lauched people were lining up to get the product...it was crazy!! We were proud to wear a Windows 95 t-shirts (...well...at least I was ) Bumper stickers and etc were put on my book covers for school and etc. Of course MS's salesman took all of that fan love and produced crappy products afterwords which soured the love fest

09-14-2012 08:21 AM
    Thats insane and awesome. Computers dont draw that sort of crowds anymore. Dude in the hat with 2 boxes of 95 looks just like the typical apple fan walking out of an apple store on launch day.
    09-14-2012 09:03 AM
    When Windows 95 lauched people were lining up to get the product...it was crazy!! We were proud to wear a Windows 95 t-shirts (...well...at least I was ) Bumper stickers and etc were put on my book covers for school and etc. Of course MS's salesman took all of that fan love and produced crappy products afterwords which soured the love fest
    As I recall, several Anti Trust infractions followed shortly thereafter, which stymied Microsoft's creativity. Glad that's done with. The sleeping giant has woken. Look out.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    a5cent likes this.
    09-14-2012 09:21 AM
    I remember those days. All the Apple magazines complained about Zombie Stupid Sheep buying Microsoft and how whacked it was to stand in line for a tech product. Oh, the irony. :)
    a5cent likes this.
    09-14-2012 10:24 AM
    A good marketing campaign can do wonders, especially one that is aggressive.

One major problem with Windows Phone is that still pictures don't do it justice. So shots of a WP8 device with Live Tiles displaying info versus Android and iOS devices just stoically doing nothing speaks volumes. Put that on web and TV ads. Call that ad "It's Alive" with a simple voiceover: "Windows Phone 8 lets you see what's going on without having to even open an app" - and it works for Windows 8 PCs and tabs too. And at the end simply have a voice that says: "Icons are sooo last century".

Then focus on individual expression with the Start screen in a different ad - showing variations compared to android and iPhones with just icons grids: "Windows Phone 8 lets you express yourself. What's most important to you? Each Start screen is an expression of the person who owns it. You're more than just a grid of icons." Call that one "It's You".

The key is simply touting important parts of the interface and user experience while putting down the other guys for being stuck in a rut and failing to innovate.

Make yourself hip and make them uncool. The iPhone is ripe for mockery and once it loses its chic edge, the sales will stumble. Give people something exciting and let them know it frees them to let the device do what they wish for it to do, not the other way around.
    sconrad308 likes this.
    09-14-2012 07:57 PM
    This would be a great marketing campaign. You should seriously send it to MS. They can never have to many good ideas.

A good marketing campaign can do wonders, especially one that is aggressive.

One major problem with Windows Phone is that still pictures don't do it justice. So shots of a WP8 device with Live Tiles displaying info versus Android and iOS devices just stoically doing nothing speaks volumes. Put that on web and TV ads. Call that ad "It's Alive" with a simple voiceover: "Windows Phone 8 lets you see what's going on without having to even open an app" - and it works for Windows 8 PCs and tabs too. And at the end simply have a voice that says: "Icons are sooo last century".

Then focus on individual expression with the Start screen in a different ad - showing variations compared to android and iPhones with just icons grids: "Windows Phone 8 lets you express yourself. What's most important to you? Each Start screen is an expression of the person who owns it. You're more than just a grid of icons." Call that one "It's You".

The key is simply touting important parts of the interface and user experience while putting down the other guys for being stuck in a rut and failing to innovate.

Make yourself hip and make them uncool. The iPhone is ripe for mockery and once it loses its chic edge, the sales will stumble. Give people something exciting and let them know it frees them to let the device do what they wish for it to do, not the other way around.
    09-14-2012 08:01 PM
    When Windows 95 lauched people were lining up to get the product...it was crazy!! We were proud to wear a Windows 95 t-shirts (...well...at least I was )
    Was the random neighbour across the street also lining up? I think Apple has pulled in even the most non-techie people, which is what I'm talking about.
    09-14-2012 08:25 PM
    This would be a great marketing campaign. You should seriously send it to MS. They can never have to many good ideas.
    Any idea how to contact them?

It's been an obvious route to me for awhile. I'm convinced that it will only take getting WP8 in people's hands for it to be huge but you need to present it properly.

Even in web advertizing, you need to have any WP screens shown on banners or in ads actually showing the Live Tiles in motion. Firstly, it catches the eye. But it also displays the point. Static pictures make it look like it is only goofy looking, non-shiny 2D icons. People need to know its more.

Same for Windows 8. When I sat in front of the RTM and had the Live Tiles flashing, I fully realized how innovative the concept was. Email, FB, News, Stocks, Quotes, Pictures, and so much more that flashed at me, giving me so much info WITHOUT EVER HAVING TO OPEN A THING!

So it is on the Phone too. And the customization does reflect your interests, not just with the apps you have up first. The size of each tile is a reflection of things too.
    09-14-2012 08:33 PM
    Any idea how to contact them?

It's been an obvious route to me for awhile. I'm convinced that it will only take getting WP8 in people's hands for it to be huge but you need to present it properly.

Even in web advertizing, you need to have any WP screens shown on banners or in ads actually showing the Live Tiles in motion. Firstly, it catches the eye. But it also displays the point. Static pictures make it look like it is only goofy looking, non-shiny 2D icons. People need to know its more.

Same for Windows 8. When I sat in front of the RTM and had the Live Tiles flashing, I fully realized how innovative the concept was. Email, FB, News, Stocks, Quotes, Pictures, and so much more that flashed at me, giving me so much info WITHOUT EVER HAVING TO OPEN A THING!

So it is on the Phone too. And the customization does reflect your interests, not just with the apps you have up first. The size of each tile is a reflection of things too.
    I can see it on TV now...have a split screen one is a "Popular OS" which is a iOS looking knock off OS just for the ad and WP on the other side. And then just a quick narrative be like "Want to check the weather? And have the one other one side flipping through pages of apps to open the weather app and the WP just has it there and do that with like 3-4 different things like stock, news, appointments all while all the other tiles are doing their flipping and what not. That should get people interested.

Heck even better sit there and be like "Want to get a quick look at all the stuff for the day?" And just show a timer clock and the live tiles zooming into each one showing the important information while the one of the left fumbles around opening app closing apps going to the next one. All while the timer is going and then after like 20 seconds or whatever just cut it off and wrap up the ad.
    Last edited by pjs37; 09-14-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    09-14-2012 08:44 PM
    I can see it on TV now...have a split screen one is a "Popular OS" which is a iOS looking knock off OS just for the ad and WP on the other side. And then just a quick narrative be like "Want to check the weather? And have the one other one side flipping through pages of apps to open the weather app and the WP just has it there and do that with like 3-4 different things like stock, news, appointments all while all the other tiles are doing their flipping and what not. That should get people interested.

Heck even better sit there and be like "Want to get a quick look at all the stuff for the day?" And just show a timer clock and the live tiles zooming into each one showing the important information while the one of the left fumbles around opening app closing apps going to the next one. All while the timer is going and then after like 20 seconds or whatever just cut it off and wrap up the ad.
    Brainstorming on it a bit, I thought not of a split screen, but three phones on screen with a WP8 device in the center, iPhone to the left, Android device to the right.

"Life is more than a grid of icons. Things are always happening, always changing. Windows Phone is alive, like you. You can see what's going on without ever opening an app."

At this point the Android and iPhone "look" at each other, shake, fall on their backs and their screens go dark. As the camera pans out, WP8 device still in the center, we see headstones spring up by the fallen phones, both etch with RIP in the arch and iPhone or Android underneath. While we see the tombstones in the camera, we hear the voiceover: "Icons are sooo last century."

The screen then fades to black with a Windows logo and Windows Phone 9 printed underneath. We then here the voiceover do a new tagline for WP8 that is printed on the screen as well: "Windows Phone 8: It's Just Better".

Then the next ad. Same setup - iPhone and Android with WP8 in center. That WP8 screen will change based on the voiceover for the ad - would be wise to filter through the different colors and models of WP8 devices all featuring different Start Screens.

Voiceover: "Windows Phone knows that you're an individual. Maybe you like music (music tile prominent), maybe you like texting (texting tile, etc), maybe you like taking pictures, or maybe you're a gamer. Any way you like it, we know that you're more than just a boring grid of icons - you're you and your phone should express that!"

This time the WP8 shoves the other two phones out of frame and stands alone. We fade out to the same new tagline and logo with the "It's Just Better" voiceover.

Those are my more developed ad concepts.
    09-14-2012 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD