HTC 8X - $199 - ATT/TMO contract price

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Trust me when I say that most people don't have $100 invested in apps. The mean number of apps downloaded per user is in the single digits and Android users don't even pay for their apps.

Even for those who buy apps, such as myself, $100 is an outlandishly high number. You're referring to a 0.001% right now.(There should actually be even more 0's but I'm being conservative.)

yes I realize almost no one will have spent that much. Even if it is more like $20 having to spend $100 more on the flagship and then having to buy all your apps again could be a deal breaker for many. Especially ios users, where a much larger % pay for apps and there are popular, high selling apps costing $10+ (iMovie for example). If someone has been an ios user for 2.5 years or so (when the iPhone 4 launched) its wouldn't have been unreasonable for them to have $60 in apps. The amount is admittedly less for Android users, but I think windows phone has a better shot at luring ios users than android users, at least at the high end, which is the phones being discussed.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
It's not that outrageous. I had spend like 30 dollars on Windows Phone apps and I had being on the ecosystem a bit more than a year. Iphone users from the first one through 5, easily had use 100 bucks.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
It's not that outrageous. I had spend like 30 dollars on Windows Phone apps and I had being on the ecosystem a bit more than a year. Iphone users from the first one through 5, easily had use 100 bucks.

I think people who have had the iPhone since the App Store launched could easily have spent $100. In about a year I spent $40ish on Windows Phone. The only thing is that the iPhone really took of with the 4 (the 3GS was pretty successfull, but not like the 4 was). And this is really important, because the 4 had an 18 month run as the top iPhone, and people who bought it 6 months to a year into its run are coming up for upgrade. If they are underwhelmed by iPhone 5, I think Windows Phone will be the #1 choice. Someone who has been in iOS two years could easily have spent $50-60. I spent like $20 in 4 months. These iPhone 4 customers, I believe, are Windows Phone 8's biggest shot at rapid growth. To win them, undercut the iPhone 5 and out preform it. Make it worth their time to switch.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I never understood the whole "I have $100 in apps" argument from users as to why they cannot switch platforms. The same users who worry about $100 will turn around and pay Verizon $189 a month for service that T-Mobile sells for $59.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
not a chance. Carriers tried that price already when lte was new. They couldn't move lte equipped, high end flagship android devices at $249-$299. If the 920 is more than $199 on contract, it will be DOA. Even at $199 it will be a tough sell when put up against the iPhone 5 and the Galaxy S III. Not because it's a worse phone or its not worth as much. It in face probably should cost more than either one. But it falls short in one "spec", and this happens to be the one "spec" your average, uninformed customer cares about most. App count. There are still bug names missing. Many bank apps, Mint.com, Rovio's newest titles, Instagram, and Google apps. Customers care about these and other absent apps. A customer is going to say why should ibpay the same for this phone when it can't use app x, y, and z that I use now. Plus there needs to be financial incentive to get people to switch eco systems. People have been using ios since 07 and android since 08. People could have $100 easily invested in apps. Some people many times that. If someone looks at a phone and says, well its $100 less, so I can use some of that to rebuy all my apps and still come out on top, its a much more enticing proposition then saying, I have to spend $100 extra to get this phone and rebuy all my apps (if they are available) on top of that.

Cool... The less expensive the better. I'm just saying coming from the iPhone world I'm okay with paying $299 for a premium phone. :)

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Let's not get delusional, the Galaxy S3 exist. Remember that Windows Phone 8 is competing for the Third place, and Microsoft is fine with that.

I know t
Hat, but I think that windows phone is more sillier to iOS than android is, and would bemore appealing to iOS fans than android would.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs