Will the 8X get nokia transit?

chillblue68

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The 8x has the exact design I want but the 820 has a removable battery and nokia transit. I literally need these things to survive and go where ineed to go where I live(san francisco). Does anyone know if the 8x is getting the whole suite of nokia maps? or just drive. Because if the later is the case... than ive got to go with the lower end 820

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure non-Nokia devices are limited just to Nokia maps via Microsoft's licensing deal. If you want Nokia Transit and Nokia Drive, you'll need a Nokia device.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
The first line in the OP said he needed Nokia Transit. As far as I know that app is only for the Lumia line.

I am not familiar with the Nokia maps since currently android user...until w8 hits. That doesn't seem to smart with google maps having added transit this summer and now ios has as well. I have no use for transit but I would think you would want the platform to have a universal map/drive transit app that auto comes on the phones /shrug

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I think there is almost zero chance of this happening. I don't know why there is any confusion here. Nokia drive was talked about as being 'available' to other OEM's. I don't think it will be for free, and I don't think HTC will pay. In the end, you are SOL.

Nokia provides mapping data for Bing Maps. Whatever it is, it's likely HTC users will get only very base functionality from Nokia. I do think Nokia should sell these apps in the store though, but smarter people than I probably know why they don't.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to dig up this old thread but is there any new news on Nokia transit coming to the 8X?

Nokia transit isn't for sure coming.

Also Nokia Drive will remain Nokia exclusive if HTC doesn't want to license it, though even so Nokia will keep Nokia Drive+ for itself with its own features.

Nokia provides mapping data for Bing Maps. Whatever it is, it's likely HTC users will get only very base functionality from Nokia. I do think Nokia should sell these apps in the store though, but smarter people than I probably know why they don't.

As Nokia owns Navteq that is now world largest map provider, it's more of their business to provide the back-end data across all kind of devices and services.

Again, anybody (like Microsoft for example) is able to license the needed mapping data from Nokia or example TomTom (Apple uses them). They just need to build the services and software around it themselves, like any other company. It's not really Nokia's business to provide the back-end and the finished software package. Especially as the OS isn't their own and they are there to sell devices.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to dig up this old thread but is there any new news on Nokia transit coming to the 8X?

No. It isn't coming to HTC devices. I also don't understand where this misinformation is coming from. Its been explained in many places, for example here (includes a link to a blog post from Nokia).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs