iPhone now or wait for WP8?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I recommend waiting till WP8 hits and watch reviews and bugs and everything that comes with launch.

The Iphone 5 is not going to get anyway and is not getting any cheaper, so take your time.

ahhk22

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I went to sign the contract for my pre-ordered iPhone 5, but one unit after another had tiny nicks and scratches and I told them I didn't want it anymore after the third unit. I probably wouldn't have looked so closely to notice if I hadn't read about this issue on cnet, and the guy must have thought I was being a pain in the ***. After playing around with the device, I have to say I found it altogether unexciting. The user interface is now way too familiar and the lightness and thinness of the device has the effect of making it feel cheaper than the 4S, although it is probably a marvel of engineering. To part with that kind of money, I want to feel a sense of excitement about having a new toy but that feeling was just lacking. I will suffer for a few weeks until the Lumia 920 arrives.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I went to sign the contract for my pre-ordered iPhone 5, but one unit after another had tiny nicks and scratches and I told them I didn't want it anymore after the third unit. I probably wouldn't have looked so closely to notice if I hadn't read about this issue on cnet, and the guy must have thought I was being a pain in the ***. After playing around with the device, I have to say I found it altogether unexciting. The user interface is now way too familiar and the lightness and thinness of the device has the effect of making it feel cheaper than the 4S, although it is probably a marvel of engineering. To part with that kind of money, I want to feel a sense of excitement about having a new toy but that feeling was just lacking. I will suffer for a few weeks until the Lumia 920 arrives.

So you'll be getting the 920 officially now?

wilks7

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
i have been waiting for a bit now for the new wp on verizon now i get an email for the iphone 4 8gb for free on big red....tempting but i will wait it out

Dileu

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I, like many others, would probably advise you wait. I swap between iPhones and WP7 devices, liking them both for their own merits and differences.

One of the things I do find annoying as a Mac owner though is that any DRM content you have in iTunes is not going to sync and work on your WP device. That's fine for most music bought since Apple stripped off the DRM, but not so great for any older song content, or for films and TV programmes.

By the way, there are Office-compatible programmes for iOS devices that work with cloud services such as SkyDrive, Dropbox etc. That need not put you off getting an iPhone. But like any mobile device (including the Office apps on WP7), there are going to be features not available in the mobile versions that are available in the desktop counterparts, so it's worth investigating that side of things further.

As for the camera - check out lots of photos that people take if this is important to you - Flickr's Camera Finder is useful for that. Mere specifications never tell the whole story, and a lot of the quality of photos comes from the in-phone processing that goes on. For example, the photos from my Lumia 800 aren't quite as good as those from my former phone, the iPhone 4s, despite them both being 8mp devices with decent lenses - in the case of the Lumia, a branded lens at that.

Of course, that would involve waiting a little while for people to start posting in substantial numbers to Flickr, but hey, the Lumia 920 may drop a bit in price in the meantime, you never know.

Either way, iPhone 5 or Lumia 920, they'll both be great devices and I'm jealous you get to have either :)

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

Could u kindly link those articles u read on CNET?
Thanx!

Edit: got it. Its all over the net.. hehehe..
Sent from my XT910 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Yes, i think so! I would prefer a 4.3" high end device, but am not a fan of HTC. It's a shame you have to go with a jumbo phone to get the top specs in the current market.

True, though I think quite a bit of the thickness of the 920 is due to the camera sensor. If it is as great as it looks when it comes to photo and video then the extra size may be worth it. The sensor might also crowd out some of the other bits and force a larger phone.

I'm still deciding which one to get, but my HTC Trophy has done well for me on Verizon. I look forward to holding each device and making a choice. It's just nice to have a choice now with Windows Phone on Verizon. After having Windows Phone 7.5, going to another phone OS just isn't an option. It's an incredible mobile OS that's just getting better with WP8.

Aykazu

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
True, though I think quite a bit of the thickness of the 920 is due to the camera sensor. If it is as great as it looks when it comes to photo and video then the extra size may be worth it. The sensor might also crowd out some of the other bits and force a larger phone.

I'm still deciding which one to get, but my HTC Trophy has done well for me on Verizon. I look forward to holding each device and making a choice. It's just nice to have a choice now with Windows Phone on Verizon. After having Windows Phone 7.5, going to another phone OS just isn't an option. It's an incredible mobile OS that's just getting better with WP8.
You seem to be very concerned about the Lumia 920's size and people here say that the 8X would suit you, well I have to disagree on that one. You see there really is not that much difference in Lumia 920 and HTC 8X in terms of size, in weight yeah there is. But size:

8X: Height: 5.21 inch, Width: 2,61 inch, Thickness; 0,4 inch

920: Height: 5.11 inch, Width: 2,79 inch, Thickness: 0,42 inch

So to be perfectly honest they are very much the same in terms of size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers