Switching from AT&T to Verizon - YEP!

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Although I do love AT&T's phone selection (that has always been awesome), but I'm switching to Verizon.

With today's leak holds out to be true, I will be one happy guy.

I HATE AT&T. People keep saying, "Phones over service". Not for me, no. I have to sit in EDGE coverage and I have to drive at least 35 miles to get 3G even.

My home coverage is terrible. I barely get a bar.

Not to mention when I go out and there's no Wi-Fi. What am I suppose to do with a phone that keeps saying cannot connect.

Anyways-Verizon has made an exclusive partnership with a local carrier to put 4G LTE up within the next month or so.

My town's population is 1,873. But yet they are putting up LTE. How weird.

It's also came into my mind-a local carrier offers UNLIMITED data (that will work with LTE :D) and it's only $35 per month, but they don't have any good phones.

My home connection is advertised as 12mbps and I get 16.66mbps. With EDGE I get 2 kbps.

Anyways, I've been on hold for at least 20 minutes with AT&T. Time to switch.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem when I lived just outside of a major metro in Louisiana. No service at all from AT&T even though I was on the edge of their coverage map. At the time, I had been with Sprint previously so I just switched back. Then, when we moved to rural Tennessee, we had no coverage from Sprint either and made the switch to Verizon and had great network access even in the middle of nowhere. So far, I have an unlimited data plan and they haven't tried to take it away. As long as that stays the same, I will probably stick with big red.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is all about the network and they want to have the whole thing LTE by the end of next year, including in the rural areas. When they bought Alltel, they became the top dog in more rural and lower population areas.

Verizon has always been all about creating the best network first and foremost. Apple went to them first with the iPhone because of the network, but VZW wanted to treat Apple like any other phone manufacturer and they didn't like that. AT&T was losing people due to their network and were pretty desperate to stop the bleeding, so they went with the exclusivity and it did help them, but their network was exposed and they have been forced to upgrade it somewhat. But they can't touch Verizon. No one can.

VZW also has the spectrum to kick up LTE to its top end - and they plan on it. They have plans to take their full network to the 300 megabit per sec download speeds. That's really what the spectrum issues are about. Verizon was the only major carrier that planned for LTE deployment properly. AT&T and others will have LTE, but their LTE won't kick as fast as VZW's in the next few years.

The key with Verizon is that they have always had a vision and operated by it, THE NETWORK. Your phone needs a great network to fully utilize its abilities. Without a great network, even the best phone is sunk. So Verizon's first priority has been and will be their network.

And now that they are getting all three flagship WP8 devices and they get great Android devices too, they have great phones to run on a great network.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I've thought about switching back to AT&T from Verizon, especially not knowing if the 920 would be coming to Verizon, but in the end I can't do it. Overall in the area I live the two carriers are pretty equal (except no LTE on AT&T), but at my house and where I work AT&T doesn't work that well. That's why I'm excited about the HTC 8X. I hope the Lumia comes to Verizon, but if not I know we will still be getting a top WP.

Hammered Pizza

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
How high-end do you need your phone to be? If you could 'cope' with the Lumia 820, HTC 8S, or the Huawei (likely to be well-specced but relatively low-cost) - then buy it outright. Microsoft Stores should sell them unlocked, though other routes (direct from carrier, Amazon, other sites online) are available. May even mean you can do without the horrible carrier branding and bloat on the handset.

The amount you save over the length of a 2 year plan will comfortably cover the cost - and you get your unlimited data too - great for music streaming / navigation.

lancguy

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Providing Verizon get's the L920, I'm switching from T-Mobile to Verizon. I get 3 bars at my house but no bars inside my workplace that is 1 mile away. If it weren't for the Wi-Fi that I can connect to at work I'd be totally screwed at work. I did a check on Verizon and every where I go to in my area is LTE! T-Mo isn't going to get the L920, and I'm not thrilled with the 8x after I did a lot of reading on the L920. Even if they did get the L920 I have no idea when LTE is going to hit my area (I'm hardly a major metropolitan area).

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I could never switch from T-mo to Verizon. The idea of quadrupling my phone bill and having to reduce my data usage to fit a tiny data cap -- just to get a particular phone -- is just unnatural.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I could never switch from T-mo to Verizon. The idea of quadrupling my phone bill and having to reduce my data usage to fit a tiny data cap -- just to get a particular phone -- is just unnatural.

Some of us don't have the option of considering T-Mobile for service, or at least service that works. Where I'm at it's pretty much Verizon or AT&T. Verizon works best at my house and my job so that's who I'm with.

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Well obviously if you don't get service coverage where you live or work is a good reason to change. If I only got 1 bar at home I wouldn't stay with a company for more than a few days.

I'm surprised about the 20 minutes on hold. I have never been on hold for more than a couple minutes calling AT&T. I also have always found their customer service to be very good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism