Here's what happened to the HTC Zenith

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
This is MY prediction of what happened with the quad-core HTC Zenith, titan like device.

Ever since June, Verizon has been itching for the Zenith. Why not? It's probably the best phone next to the lumia (I like both :).

But the S4 Quad-Core wasn't ready. Verizon was notified and they REALLY wanted an HTC windows phone.

So they made a compromise. Now Verizon has the 8X, or the "Accord", if you will.

Will we see the Zenith? OF COURSE. Will we see the Zenith before April? Not a chance.

Although, some android smartphones are just picking up on quad-core, it needs work.

And Verizon wanted a bigger phone, but since they will be getting the ATIV S, which is slightly bigger than the Zenith/Titan III.

I'm guessing that HTC changed their mind and are now reading an HTC Titan III. I have the original Titan, it's one of my favorite phones, aside from reception issue.

So the Titan III probably will be going to AT&T, but the 8X is pretty nice as well.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
You are in luck my friend. HTC just said on an interview (right on this site) that HTC is working on an phone with an even bigger screen.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My theory had been that it was a hold back for the actual launch of WP8 in October. I still half believe this.

My reasoning, "silence speaks volumes".

There is a curious thing that goes on in the tech world. To keep the Tech Press quiet manufacturers have learned that NDAs (Non Disclosure Agreements) are powerful weapons. They let the Tech Press see devices early, and then swear them to silence.

Why do you think everyone had full reviews ready to go on the HTC devices all at the same time?

So, up until the President of HTC started hinting at the Zenith for Nov/Dec, I had been thinking that the press were possibly under NDA on it. I mean, have a look around the net. There is some chatter about the Zenith from enthusiasts, but almost nothing from the blogger sites. To me that says "NDAs".

I think it also makes sense when you look at the 8S. There really isn't much further down market they can take that phone. Nice phone and all, but there isn't much more than can be stripped out to lower it's cost to make another entry level WP8 device.

Having an entry, mid and Hero device is pretty much the norm now. If the 8S is entry, that makes the 8X the mid, so where is the Hero device?

Holding back their Hero device would be a good strategy, and could be used two ways.

First way would be to blow our minds at the actual WP8 launch. Second way would be to have something new to show at CES in January. The CES launch would be well executed if they could do a "show today, buy tomorrow" type launch.

I still think there is an outside chance I'm right about the NDAs. We'll just have to wait a few weeks to find out.

TheNerdlyKnight

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
gwydionjhr thats a great theory but it wouldn't mesh up with Microsoft calling the 8X their signature device. Why make a non hero device the signature device of your line up? I expect we will see the Zenith at some point, but most likely later down the road rather than at launch. That's my two cents though.

gwydionjhr

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the use of the word Signature has been misinterpreted.

MS has "Signature" PCs as well. It doesn't denote "the best" device out there, it's a philosophy of keeping devices free of crap. Think of it akin to Google's Nexus program. More than one manufacturer has made Nexus phones for Google (rumours are there maybe as many as 5 coming out before Xmas, and THAT could be tough on WP8).

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I just feel the quad-core device option will wait until after the initial launch. My guess is MS wants universal hardware to optimize any software updates needed if any problems occur. The Zenith will be a great follow up to the first releases after any problems with WP 8 have been ironed out.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I think the use of the word Signature has been misinterpreted.

MS has "Signature" PCs as well. It doesn't denote "the best" device out there, it's a philosophy of keeping devices free of crap. Think of it akin to Google's Nexus program. More than one manufacturer has made Nexus phones for Google (rumours are there maybe as many as 5 coming out before Xmas, and THAT could be tough on WP8).

Signature devices are available from every manufacturer, and are just a version without bloatware. It's not a matter of choosing one OEM over another.

Here, "signature" means choosing one OEM over another--Microsoft and HTC jointly decided that only HTC would get to use "Windows Phone 8" in the name of the device itself--and it doesn't even mean "no bloatware" (the 8X and 8S come with HTC Hub, for better or for worse...it's not like they're vanilla Windows installations like Signature Windows PCs are).

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently in a few NDA's. I wish I could tell you what they were for (obviously for Windows) because the devices that I'm using will be a hot seller.

I have a blog as well and I can tell you I'm already working on the review. I just can't publish it yet.

I'd bet you're using an "8XL". Probably a model that uses the dual core s4 until the s4 pro (quad core) is ready for market. The Titan's had their time in the sun and it was good.

I wouldn't be surprised if sometime after the New Year's we hear about the 8XL.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Signature devices are available from every manufacturer, and are just a version without bloatware. It's not a matter of choosing one OEM over another.

Here, "signature" means choosing one OEM over another--Microsoft and HTC jointly decided that only HTC would get to use "Windows Phone 8" in the name of the device itself--and it doesn't even mean "no bloatware" (the 8X and 8S come with HTC Hub, for better or for worse...it's not like they're vanilla Windows installations like Signature Windows PCs are).

I think this is only because the HTC devices are the first designed from the ground up for WP8 with MS. The Nokias, as gorgeous as they are, are based on the N9, a phone for Symbian. That doesn't take away the fact that they are nice phones.

The big takeaway seems to be that MS will work with you if you want them to. They are not going to just play faves with Nokia unless it makes sense. Like using Nokia maps on all the WP8 devices - and I'm sure that Nokia is getting some money from MS for that. Nokia Drive is a top notch app and getting it on all the phones is a plus. I think the two big Nokia apps that would be nice to make WP8 features on all devices are Drive and City Lens. Having both be on any Windows Phone would give a big edge to the entire OS.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I am not pleased with HTC and "I" don't see how a lot of people can get excited for their mid-range phone and low range phone. I was expecting the Zenith, now I think I will have to settle for the 920.

Since HTC didn't announce Zenith, it made perfect sense for them to state that the 8X was their signature phone because they don't want consumers to wait. I get it... its business.

But I am fearful that after I get the 920 that the Zenith will go on sale a few weeks later and make my WP8 hardware obsolete in 60 days. I would at least like 6 months of bragging rights.

But honestly, its about resale value in 2 years. No matter what some may say, a quad core phone will sale for more than a dual core phone in 2 years. These dual cores are in the middle of the curve. With the quad cores being at the leading edge. In 18 or so months the curve will move, and the dual cores will be at the trailing edge with quad cores in the middle. That will be the time of my next upgrade, you'll have to excuse me for planning in advance.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I am not pleased with HTC and "I" don't see how a lot of people can get excited for their mid-range phone and low range phone. I was expecting the Zenith, now I think I will have to settle for the 920.

Since HTC didn't announce Zenith, it made perfect sense for them to state that the 8X was their signature phone because they don't want consumers to wait. I get it... its business.

But I am fearful that after I get the 920 that the Zenith will go on sale a few weeks later and make my WP8 hardware obsolete in 60 days. I would at least like 6 months of bragging rights.

But honestly, its about resale value in 2 years. No matter what some may say, a quad core phone will sale for more than a dual core phone in 2 years. These dual cores are in the middle of the curve. With the quad cores being at the leading edge. In 18 or so months the curve will move, and the dual cores will be at the trailing edge with quad cores in the middle. That will be the time of my next upgrade, you'll have to excuse me for planning in advance.
You have seriously disturbed view of technology if you feel Lumia 920 becomes obsolete if other manufacturer will put two more cores in their model.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
1) People should really remember what "obsolete" means before using it in their argument/rant

2) If you have a quad-core that doesn't have a higher clock speed per core, you end up with a slower phone unless something is specifically coded for quad-core

3) you also end up with shorter battery life

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
You have seriously disturbed view of technology if you feel Lumia 920 becomes obsolete if other manufacturer will put two more cores in their model.
Look at what HTC is doing. Dedicated image processor chip, dedicated amplifier tech, wide angle FFC. They are also innovating, maybe even coming close to Nokia.

So with these innovations being on par with close parities with gives and takes, the cores of a phone will greatly affect the resale value.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I see people giving HTC a lot of ****, when they had nothing little wrong.

Wide Angle, low aperture, high pixel count FFC is pretty big. It means the FFC is not longer for putting make up and taking out boogers, is actually useful now.

Amplifier tech means listening to music is a great experience on it.

It takes pictures insanely fast, meaning is easier to capture that moment.

The resolution is insane, one of the highest on the market and with SLCD 2, the pictures on screen will look just fantastic.

I know Nokia brought cool gimmicks like Fatboy and using your screen with a fork but give HTC some credit.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Tech wise not many issues with HTC 8X, besides the 16MB. I just don't like the way the phone looks. And now to see it taller than the 920, even worse. But I still will check one out in person just to make sure. Can't rule it out completely until then.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site

Wide Angle, low aperture, high pixel count FFC is pretty big. It means the FFC is not longer for putting make up and taking out boogers, is actually useful now.

The resolution is insane, one of the highest on the market and with SLCD 2, the pictures on screen will look just fantastic.

I know Nokia brought cool gimmicks like Fatboy and using your screen with a fork but give HTC some credit.

1) Amplifier tech on phones is a joke lol.

2) The RESOLUTION is the same as most flagship phones now.

3) Stop, or stay in the HTC subforums.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site

I don't think anyone is saying HTC hasn't done a good job with the 8X. Just like anything you have to pick your preferences. I prefer what Nokia has done with the 920 over the 8X. Now if I can't get the 920 on my carrier I will get the 8X and not feel let down at all (well the 16Gb is disappointing) and I know I will have a good phone.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

:lol:Such a great post coming from you. Even while putting forward a great device like the HTC X (which it truly is), you still take shots at Nokia.

Awesome.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3