09-26-2012 08:18 AM
71 123
tools
    I think 4" - 4.3" is the screen size that the mainstream consumer finds desirable today. It's a real shame that most flagship phones from every manufacturer (except apple) are jumbo-sized. I would never ordinarily consider HTC, but I want a windows phone and the 920 is a little big for my taste, so I might end up with the 8X. I actually spend a lot of time before holding the Lumia 900 in the store to consider if it was too big. I convinced myself that it was the upper limit of what I found acceptable, and now I learn that the 920 even goes beyond that in terms of dimensions and weight.
    Your opinion is what it is but its not what most oems think the optimum size is right now because most devices are 4.3 and above and given that the mfgers are gauging and planning devices on what they see the majority of people want that's what they believe will sell the most and thats where they put their money.
    09-23-2012 04:45 PM
    I don't see what is so cool about the Lumia... Wireless charging? mkay...so you have to leave it on the changer, don't move it, because it wont charge! Pure View camera? personnaly I never take pictures at night... and I think it's good but not revolutionary since you sacrifice space to make it fit.... and NFC is in most phones... Super sensitive touch, cool but i wouldnt type with cloves anyway, my fingers would be way too big, I would have to remove the gloves... so... overall I don't see why it's creating such a buzz...
    Thanks for your opinions. Other have theirs as well and if you dont like it thats cool others do including me but I'm still open to other oems as well for now.
    09-23-2012 04:48 PM
    We get it. Buy another phone and quit ruining the buzz for those that do like it. Go homer up the samsung forum. Thanks.
    09-23-2012 05:04 PM
    Yes it does make a difference with regards to pocketability.
    You have a point there but non-tight pants are no problem. I never have any problems with my current 900.
    09-23-2012 06:31 PM
    You have a point there but non-tight pants are no problem. I never have any problems with my current 900.
    So are you saying only hipsters with skinny jeans will have a problem? ;)
    09-23-2012 06:42 PM
    Women.
    09-23-2012 07:50 PM
    As has been said already... The 920 is thinner than the 900! There haven't been that many complaints about the 900 so I doubt it will be an issue. Weight is another issue and we will see how it feels in the hand.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express
    09-23-2012 08:43 PM
    Women.
    Most women carry a bag or purse
    09-23-2012 08:57 PM
    Hey, not all of us have 45-inch waists and need an automobile to go more than a quarter-mile! :D
    09-23-2012 09:18 PM
    As has been said already... The 920 is thinner than the 900! There haven't been that many complaints about the 900 so I doubt it will be an issue. Weight is another issue and we will see how it feels in the hand.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

You sure about that?
    09-23-2012 09:55 PM
    I don't see what is so cool about the Lumia... Wireless charging? mkay...so you have to leave it on the changer, don't move it, because it wont charge! Pure View camera? personnaly I never take pictures at night... and I think it's good but not revolutionary since you sacrifice space to make it fit.... and NFC is in most phones... Super sensitive touch, cool but i wouldnt type with cloves anyway, my fingers would be way too big, I would have to remove the gloves... so... overall I don't see why it's creating such a buzz...
    Have fun with your Samsung. We all understand you care about thinness and nothing else.
    09-23-2012 10:26 PM
    My Quantum is 175.8g. My preteen daughter's Pantech Swift is 177.5g. The Lumia 920 is 185g. Never once did I think my Quantum was too heavy, nor my daughter hers. It's hard to imagine the weight of the Lumia 920 making a big difference to anyone except whiners.
    09-23-2012 10:29 PM
    I think it's a little too thick and heavy but if Verizon gets it in early November when the 8x comes out, I will have a 920 no doubt

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    09-23-2012 10:48 PM
    The 920 feels like the second coming of the N95; a device that's heftier than it's peers because it's packed with tech. I have a feeling that it's successor will be more svelte given the feedback (read: complaints) it gets. Personally, I'm not happy with the idea of carrying a device that's bigger and heavier than the Galaxy Nexus that I already use. My hope is that we see more high-end features move to phones with smaller screens.
    09-23-2012 11:33 PM
    Size is very comparable to galaxy nexus, little thicker in middle and little heavier.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    09-24-2012 12:01 AM
    Where can you sign up for this trial program?
    Here ya go:

Trial a Nokia – Nokia Conversations
    09-24-2012 12:47 AM
    I remember discussions of laptops in the 1990s -- "who needs a laptop under 10 pounds? 10 pounds is nothing! Look at the full features you get... color, stereo speakers, a 486DX/2!"

Anybody selling a 10 lb laptop today would go broke faster than RIM. :D

The whole point of a mobile device is something MOBILE. If it's big, thick, heavy, and loaded with features, it might as well be a tablet (or gawd-help-us, a "phablet"... that word should be banned from the English language).

I understand that people obsessed with tech specs will want the "biggest and best," but the vast majority of users will want something "with plenty of room to grow" that isn't thick, heavy and clunky when compared with other handsets.
    09-24-2012 01:06 AM
    What's thick, heavy and clunky to some people, isn't to others. What's thin and sleek to some, is fragile and cheap feeling to others. Go with what works for ya.

And yes, the word phablet needs to die an ugly death.
    09-24-2012 01:22 AM
    The 920 is thinner than other smartphones I have had in the past (G1, HTC Legend, Nexus 1, HD7, 710) so the thickness won't bother me. It's a little heavier than those phones but that won't bother me either.
    09-24-2012 01:42 AM
    I remember discussions of laptops in the 1990s -- "who needs a laptop under 10 pounds? 10 pounds is nothing! Look at the full features you get... color, stereo speakers, a 486DX/2!"

Anybody selling a 10 lb laptop today would go broke faster than RIM. :D

The whole point of a mobile device is something MOBILE. If it's big, thick, heavy, and loaded with features, it might as well be a tablet (or gawd-help-us, a "phablet"... that word should be banned from the English language).

I understand that people obsessed with tech specs will want the "biggest and best," but the vast majority of users will want something "with plenty of room to grow" that isn't thick, heavy and clunky when compared with other handsets.
    And yet full powered laptops with real graphics cards still manage to sell well in this age of ultrabooks.

****, Apple doesnt only sell tye Macbook Air do they? They also have a real Macbook available.
    09-24-2012 02:13 AM
    The Lumia 920 is not physically massive compared to the SIII and One X. 60g is not comparable to 4kg, unless you're suggesting that we as a species will become incapable of lifting a fifth of a kilogram in the near future.
    09-24-2012 06:30 AM
    Google galaxy S III drop test and see for yourselves what happens.
    09-24-2012 06:33 AM
    My preteen daughter's Pantech Swift is 177.5g.
    What is this sorcery?

Oh wait, it's a reality check. Thanks :]

Now I wonder, what did women ever do about flip phones?
    09-24-2012 06:35 AM
    Google galaxy S III drop test and see for yourselves what happens.
    The same would happen to a Nokia 920, smartphones were not made to be dropped...
    09-24-2012 07:33 AM
    I don't remember anyone saying that iPhone 3GS is thick.

AngryNil likes this.
    09-24-2012 09:11 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD