09-26-2012 07:18 AM
71 123
tools
    I don't remember anyone saying that iPhone 3GS is thick.

Click to view quoted image
    We are in 2012... the iPhone was thin at the time...

It's almost like saying, "Nobody complained about the Samsung Instinct being thick" it was fine at the time... technology moves fast, nanotechnology is around the corner...
    Last edited by Simon Tupper; 09-24-2012 at 09:15 AM.
    09-24-2012 08:47 AM

It's almost like saying, "Nobody complained about the Samsung Instinct being thick" it was fine at the time... technology moves fast, nanotechnology is around the corner...
    So we're just going to keep "progressing" and making phones thinner until their thin enough to give you a cut? I mean, seriously, there has to be a limit somewhere.

Take screens for example, they seem to keep getting larger. Why? My hands aren't getting any bigger tomorrow. If phone screens keep getting larger, they're going to become tablet sized (which is what someone on this board wants, but I don't).

How about cars? Up until recently, every time a model is redesigned, it's dimensions get larger. So the car becomes heavier, sometimes slower, less nimble, harder to park, and less fun to drive. So what used to be a fun car, is sometimes ruined!

Just to show you that the extremes of more/less isn't always better, read this:

Is The iPhone’s Biggest Setback Its Lightweight Form Factor? These Folks Think So - TodaysiPhone.com

Not everyone likes the lightness of the new iPhone.
    09-24-2012 12:16 PM
    So we're just going to keep "progressing" and making phones thinner until their thin enough to give you a cut? I mean, seriously, there has to be a limit somewhere.

Take screens for example, they seem to keep getting larger. Why? My hands aren't getting any bigger tomorrow. If phone screens keep getting larger, they're going to become tablet sized (which is what someone on this board wants, but I don't).

How about cars? Up until recently, every time a model is redesigned, it's dimensions get larger. So the car becomes heavier, sometimes slower, less nimble, harder to park, and less fun to drive. So what used to be a fun car, is sometimes ruined!

Just to show you that the extremes of more/less isn't always better, read this:

Is The iPhone’s Biggest Setback Its Lightweight Form Factor? These Folks Think So - TodaysiPhone.com

Not everyone likes the lightness of the new iPhone.
    Sure but Android and iPhone users don't like thick devices, if you want people to switch you gotta offer what people want with a little extra
    09-24-2012 01:31 PM
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I don't have a problem with the size of the 920, just the weight, and not in the hand, but in the pocket, I had a N900, brilliant phone, but I didn't like constantly being aware of it in the pocket.
    The N900 was a brick though...
    That won't stop me buying a 920 as I have fallen in gadget lust with the possibilities of it, but it won't stop me wishing it weighed 140g ;)
    09-24-2012 01:40 PM
    Yes it does make a difference with regards to pocketability.
    It's not that thick.. It's slightly big if you are used to tiny apple phones I guess.
    09-24-2012 07:14 PM
    Thanks!
    09-24-2012 09:32 PM
    There are heaps of people still uses the 3G/S. None I have met complain about its thickness.

Does Samsung really have nothing going for it apart from making its phones thin, since that's the only talking point you ever have around here? Unless you wear child-sized female skinny jeans, the extra 3mm does not matter. If the iPhone 3GS can't fit in your pocket, you're wearing clothing that's way too small for you. My Omnia fits just fine with form-fitting pants.

There are far more important advances in mobile than making a device thinner. It's a pity you try to discount all of them, then proclaim Samsung stuffing as little innovation as possible into a small chassis as "progress".
    cckgz4 likes this.
    09-24-2012 10:04 PM
    They have more than thin phones going for them. But thin phones are the craze. Go check out the GS3 on their site if you think thin is all they have.
    09-24-2012 10:22 PM
    I think that Nokia should have redesign the camera sensor to make it smaller, it is a poor excuse on my point of view. Apple would have find a way to make it smaller to make sure that it don't adds any unwanted thickness
    That's not necessarily true- the 3rd iPad was thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 because of the higher resolution screen
    09-24-2012 11:38 PM
    I see these types of discussions on camera forums all the time. People want cameras with bigger sensors, longer optical zoon and all the other bells and whistles packed into a small camera. I'm sure the engineers would love to make it as small as possible but certain features take up space.

Just like in this case, I'm sure Nokia could have just popped in a traditional sensor to save on the thickness, but felt that the camera was more important.
    09-25-2012 12:56 AM
    You sure about that? Click to view quoted image
    Lumia 900 is thin from side but from center its 11.5 inch. While Lumia 920 is unform from the edge its center is 10.7 inch which is littlebit thinner than Lumia 900
    09-25-2012 12:59 AM
    Another broken record discussion
    09-25-2012 01:49 AM
    They have more than thin phones going for them. But thin phones are the craze. Go check out the GS3 on their site if you think thin is all they have.
    What does the GS3 do to genuinely excite? It's a great device, but it's not great because it innovates. It's a bunch of carefully measured advances at zero risk, pretty much like the iPhone 5... but uglier.
    PappesHartley likes this.
    09-25-2012 05:38 AM
    Lumia 900 is thin from side but from center its 11.5 inch. While Lumia 920 is unform from the edge its center is 10.7 inch which is littlebit thinner than Lumia 900
    11.5 mm not inches
    09-25-2012 06:15 AM
    Better to have a solid camera and reasonably thick phone, then having a thinner phone with vulnerable hardware. And you can't have everything without sacrificing something.
    09-25-2012 04:09 PM
    What does the GS3 do to genuinely excite? It's a great device, but it's not great because it innovates. It's a bunch of carefully measured advances at zero risk, pretty much like the iPhone 5... but uglier.
    what a terrible post. The Galaxy 3 is a fantastic device all around, no reason to be so bitter.
    09-25-2012 07:06 PM
    what a terrible post. The Galaxy 3 is a fantastic device all around, no reason to be so bitter.
    He didn't say it was a terrible device - just ugly.
    AngryNil likes this.
    09-25-2012 08:13 PM
    Hey. Some people like Salma Hayek. Some prefer Kate Moss.
    09-25-2012 09:07 PM
    Brush up on your reading comprehension before trying to get back at me :]
    09-26-2012 05:26 AM
    Brush up on your reading comprehension before trying to get back at me :]
    I find more and more people reading carefully worded posts in sound bites, like; GS3.....not great.....uglier. Disturbing really. And the reason for threads turning into flame wars. Don't worry though. At least one person for your point.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    09-26-2012 07:14 AM
    The carma is f-ing sick. Just watch some videos compaired to the iphone and gal. iii, it blew the out of the water!!! That phones is so high end its amazing! I hope someone makes a slide blu tooth keyboard case for it like the iphone has.
    09-26-2012 07:18 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD