The camera of the Nokia Lumia 920 is the reason behind its "thickness"

poiman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
lumia920-thickness.jpg

When comparing the upcoming Nokia Lumia 920 specs sheet with the other latest smartphone such as Samsung Galaxy S III or Apple iPhone 5, people criticized about the thickness of Lumia 920. Even though the numbers look big when comparing against its competitors, Lumia 920 is slimmer than Nokia Lumia 800 and Nokia Lumia 900. Its just 10.7 mm thick and the reason behind this thickness must be the camera sensor within it. As you can see in the image above, the camera sensor unit is almost 7mm thick.

This camera module packs Carl Zeiss optics, Optical Image Stabilization, 26mm Focal Length, F2.0 aperture, true 16:9 sensor, BIS and 8.7MP which allows us to take truly amazing photos and videos in any conditions. I think the thickness of the device was justified by Nokia by the features it embodies within it. Other than the camera, Lumia 920 has Wireless charging functionality, Pentaband LTE, NFC, 2000 mAh battery, PureMotion HD+ Display and the ever lasting Polycarbonate unibody design. What do you think?

Source

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Good post and makes sense. I would happily give up some thickness if those quality pictures translate to real world performance.

ahhk22

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I think 4" - 4.3" is the screen size that the mainstream consumer finds desirable today. It's a real shame that most flagship phones from every manufacturer (except apple) are jumbo-sized. I would never ordinarily consider HTC, but I want a windows phone and the 920 is a little big for my taste, so I might end up with the 8X. I actually spend a lot of time before holding the Lumia 900 in the store to consider if it was too big. I convinced myself that it was the upper limit of what I found acceptable, and now I learn that the 920 even goes beyond that in terms of dimensions and weight.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I actually spend a lot of time before holding the Lumia 900 in the store to consider if it was too big. I convinced myself that it was the upper limit of what I found acceptable, and now I learn that the 920 even goes beyond that in terms of dimensions and weight.

I came to similar conclusion. I could barely reach all 4 corners of the 900 with one hand. I usually use my phones one handed, so that's a big deal for me. I feel the 8x (being longer than the 920) will be too big too. The 8s has a great form factor. I just don't want a phone that's so crippled that I have a bad experience with WP8.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I think that Nokia should have redesign the camera sensor to make it smaller, it is a poor excuse on my point of view. Apple would have find a way to make it smaller to make sure that it don't adds any unwanted thickness

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I think that Nokia should have redesign the camera sensor to make it smaller, it is a poor excuse on my point of view. Apple would have find a way to make it smaller to make sure that it don't adds any unwanted thickness

Sometimes when you're *actually innovating* and bringing something new instead of just improving what's already out there, you have to make some concessions to get it to market in a decent timeframe. Instead of sacrificing battery capacity, image quality, build quality, etc, Nokia opted to make a hefty device. I for one would rather have a heavier, more capable device weighing down my pants. I can always tighten my belt.

And even the almighty Apple took two years to shrink their excellent camera module.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Nokia. Damned if they do (make a great camera sensor), damned if the don't (make the phone a tad thicker than the competition). Geezz. They can't win.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Well you usually loose something and win something.

There are low light pictures of Lumia 920 where it simply destroys iPhone 5. Personally could care less that Lumia 920 is 10mm, especially as Lumia 800 owner who knows how the phone is sculpted, it doesn't feel thick at all to me.
Lumia 920 is thinner than Lumia 800 or Lumia 900.

Here btw picture of the pocket camera destroyer 808 PureView sensor compared to competitors 8MP and 5MP sensors.

f51fe_NokiaPureView808_sensor_610x409.png

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

The way I see it Apple is just trying to convince people that they do not need OIS, NFC and Qi charging. Can't say for sure but the supersensitive touch most likely added a bit of extra bulk as well.

I believe that Nokia wanted to show the full package of what can be done today, and this is it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

lol

Do you think they were sitting around saying, "We can make it smaller, but let's not do it!"

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I am not understanding the obsession with thin phones compared to actual features. 11mm or 9mm. Is it really that big of a difference?

I want a phone with a rugged chassis that can whistand a drop and we all know how superior Nokia is in this domain.

So it's not a laptop and a couple of mm or extra grams are not going to make that much of a difference. Oh my wrist hurts from how heavy the 920 is. I am going to buy and S III instead! :D

Let's drop test an iPhone 5 and S III and a 920 and see.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I want features and things I can use on my phone that I will actually use. A thin phone isn't a feature.

Weight is an issue. But really, 65 grams more than average and somehow the phone goes from slim to gargantuan?

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I actually spend a lot of time before holding the Lumia 900 in the store to consider if it was too big. I convinced myself that it was the upper limit of what I found acceptable, and now I learn that the 920 even goes beyond that in terms of dimensions and weight.

I did that as well, and although it is large, there isn't really the choice if you want the nokia apps which I do.
The 820 is crippled by its screen res, Im not buying a next gen phone with last gen screen

I know I will find the phone too heavy IN MY POCKET but I will learn to live with it as a price for having the amazing specs that come with it

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I think 4" - 4.3" is the screen size that the mainstream consumer finds desirable today. It's a real shame that most flagship phones from every manufacturer (except apple) are jumbo-sized. I would never ordinarily consider HTC, but I want a windows phone and the 920 is a little big for my taste, so I might end up with the 8X. I actually spend a lot of time before holding the Lumia 900 in the store to consider if it was too big. I convinced myself that it was the upper limit of what I found acceptable, and now I learn that the 920 even goes beyond that in terms of dimensions and weight.

The Lumia 900, HTC 8x, and Lumia 920 are so close in size that it is negligible.

The 8x is tallest by quite a bit
The Lumia 900 is the thickest by quite a bit
The Lumia 920 is the widest and heaviest

I will repeat this again because I want the message out. DO NOT LOOK AT SCREEN SIZE TO JUDGE THE SIZE OF THE PHONE. It is one factor and not even a good one at that. The most important thing is the physical dimensions. The 4.7 inch Optimus G is smaller than the HTC 8X for example. Not just a little smaller, a lot more.

Last edited:

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site

I would be the happiest guy in the world if Nokia announced a thinner Lumia 920 with only a iphone or HTC level camera. I don't think a camera is a big deal to be honest, as long as it is good.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am not understanding the obsession with thin phones compared to actual features. 11mm or 9mm. Is it really that big of a difference?

I want a phone with a rugged chassis that can whistand a drop and we all know how superior Nokia is in this domain.

So it's not a laptop and a couple of mm or extra grams are not going to make that much of a difference. Oh my wrist hurts from how heavy the 920 is. I am going to buy and S III instead! :D

Let's drop test an iPhone 5 and S III and a 920 and see.

Yes it does make a difference with regards to pocketability.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Do you believe Nokia purposely made it thick? Not saying the camera is the only reason it's that thick, but I'm sure their engineers weren't saying "lets make it a bit thicker... most folks like that" when they were designing it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte