The camera of the Nokia Lumia 920 is the reason behind its "thickness"

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I remember discussions of laptops in the 1990s -- "who needs a laptop under 10 pounds? 10 pounds is nothing! Look at the full features you get... color, stereo speakers, a 486DX/2!"

Anybody selling a 10 lb laptop today would go broke faster than RIM. :D

The whole point of a mobile device is something MOBILE. If it's big, thick, heavy, and loaded with features, it might as well be a tablet (or gawd-help-us, a "phablet"... that word should be banned from the English language).

I understand that people obsessed with tech specs will want the "biggest and best," but the vast majority of users will want something "with plenty of room to grow" that isn't thick, heavy and clunky when compared with other handsets.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
What's thick, heavy and clunky to some people, isn't to others. What's thin and sleek to some, is fragile and cheap feeling to others. Go with what works for ya.

And yes, the word phablet needs to die an ugly death.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The 920 is thinner than other smartphones I have had in the past (G1, HTC Legend, Nexus 1, HD7, 710) so the thickness won't bother me. It's a little heavier than those phones but that won't bother me either.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I remember discussions of laptops in the 1990s -- "who needs a laptop under 10 pounds? 10 pounds is nothing! Look at the full features you get... color, stereo speakers, a 486DX/2!"

Anybody selling a 10 lb laptop today would go broke faster than RIM. :D

The whole point of a mobile device is something MOBILE. If it's big, thick, heavy, and loaded with features, it might as well be a tablet (or gawd-help-us, a "phablet"... that word should be banned from the English language).

I understand that people obsessed with tech specs will want the "biggest and best," but the vast majority of users will want something "with plenty of room to grow" that isn't thick, heavy and clunky when compared with other handsets.

And yet full powered laptops with real graphics cards still manage to sell well in this age of ultrabooks.

****, Apple doesnt only sell tye Macbook Air do they? They also have a real Macbook available.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 920 is not physically massive compared to the SIII and One X. 60g is not comparable to 4kg, unless you're suggesting that we as a species will become incapable of lifting a fifth of a kilogram in the near future.

Faux Carnival

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I don't remember anyone saying that iPhone 3GS is thick.

HT3939--iphone_3gs_dimensions-001-en.png

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
We are in 2012... the iPhone was thin at the time...

It's almost like saying, "Nobody complained about the Samsung Instinct being thick" it was fine at the time... technology moves fast, nanotechnology is around the corner...

So we're just going to keep "progressing" and making phones thinner until their thin enough to give you a cut? I mean, seriously, there has to be a limit somewhere.

Take screens for example, they seem to keep getting larger. Why? My hands aren't getting any bigger tomorrow. If phone screens keep getting larger, they're going to become tablet sized (which is what someone on this board wants, but I don't).

How about cars? Up until recently, every time a model is redesigned, it's dimensions get larger. So the car becomes heavier, sometimes slower, less nimble, harder to park, and less fun to drive. So what used to be a fun car, is sometimes ruined!

Just to show you that the extremes of more/less isn't always better, read this:

Is The iPhone’s Biggest Setback Its Lightweight Form Factor? These Folks Think So - TodaysiPhone.com

Not everyone likes the lightness of the new iPhone.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
So we're just going to keep "progressing" and making phones thinner until their thin enough to give you a cut? I mean, seriously, there has to be a limit somewhere.

Take screens for example, they seem to keep getting larger. Why? My hands aren't getting any bigger tomorrow. If phone screens keep getting larger, they're going to become tablet sized (which is what someone on this board wants, but I don't).

How about cars? Up until recently, every time a model is redesigned, it's dimensions get larger. So the car becomes heavier, sometimes slower, less nimble, harder to park, and less fun to drive. So what used to be a fun car, is sometimes ruined!

Just to show you that the extremes of more/less isn't always better, read this:

Is The iPhone’s Biggest Setback Its Lightweight Form Factor? These Folks Think So - TodaysiPhone.com

Not everyone likes the lightness of the new iPhone.
Sure but Android and iPhone users don't like thick devices, if you want people to switch you gotta offer what people want with a little extra

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I don't have a problem with the size of the 920, just the weight, and not in the hand, but in the pocket, I had a N900, brilliant phone, but I didn't like constantly being aware of it in the pocket.
The N900 was a brick though...
That won't stop me buying a 920 as I have fallen in gadget lust with the possibilities of it, but it won't stop me wishing it weighed 140g ;)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
We are in 2012... the iPhone was thin at the time...
There are heaps of people still uses the 3G/S. None I have met complain about its thickness.

Does Samsung really have nothing going for it apart from making its phones thin, since that's the only talking point you ever have around here? Unless you wear child-sized female skinny jeans, the extra 3mm does not matter. If the iPhone 3GS can't fit in your pocket, you're wearing clothing that's way too small for you. My Omnia fits just fine with form-fitting pants.

There are far more important advances in mobile than making a device thinner. It's a pity you try to discount all of them, then proclaim Samsung stuffing as little innovation as possible into a small chassis as "progress".

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
They have more than thin phones going for them. But thin phones are the craze. Go check out the GS3 on their site if you think thin is all they have.

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I think that Nokia should have redesign the camera sensor to make it smaller, it is a poor excuse on my point of view. Apple would have find a way to make it smaller to make sure that it don't adds any unwanted thickness

That's not necessarily true- the 3rd iPad was thicker and heavier than the iPad 2 because of the higher resolution screen

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I see these types of discussions on camera forums all the time. People want cameras with bigger sensors, longer optical zoon and all the other bells and whistles packed into a small camera. I'm sure the engineers would love to make it as small as possible but certain features take up space.

Just like in this case, I'm sure Nokia could have just popped in a traditional sensor to save on the thickness, but felt that the camera was more important.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss