09-27-2012 11:48 PM
112 12345
tools
    I call bull on this article. Strong colours and WP standards are all that's copied here. And as someone said, the colours are different, albeit SOME overlap. Are Nokia SERIOUSLY trying to say "If it isn't Nokia, it's only allowed to be Black/White". By that tone, should Apple sue EVERYBODY for having black/white phones. See what this is devolving into?
    No Nokia isn't seriously trying to say anything, because the story is BS.
    09-25-2012 12:07 PM
    No Nokia isn't seriously trying to say anything, because the story is BS.
    I know, hence why my first sentence said "I call bull on this", but if they were, then my point woulda made even more sense.
    09-25-2012 12:39 PM
    Nokia plans to take a legal recourse against HTC...dayum! Never saw that coming...

http://www.pc-tablet.com/6648-nokia-...ied-lumia-820/

Sent from my XT910 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    09-25-2012 12:48 PM
    09-25-2012 12:55 PM
    http://m.gsmarena.com/nokia_may_file...-news-4854.php

09-25-2012 12:55 PM
    Ridiculous. Petty. Stupid. Way to go Nokia - you just made my mind up for me.

**Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express**
    09-25-2012 12:56 PM
    Hard to blame them at some level. When you look at the Lumia 820 right next to the HTC 8X, they look almost identical. Only the colors are really different.
    Residing likes this.
    09-25-2012 01:12 PM
    It's not true... it's a fake article again... how is it a copy? I seriously hope that Nokia is smarter than that...

HTC could buy Nokia... Seriously Nokia is a small fish in the ocean...
    Last edited by Simon Tupper; 09-25-2012 at 01:27 PM.
    09-25-2012 01:17 PM
    This was discussed yesterday to. We don't know, Nokia should take action, we are expacting them to do so but we don't know if they are going to do it... Perhaps they choose not to, and just leave htc with a warning. But again we don't know if Nokia gonna let it pass
    09-25-2012 01:22 PM
    Hard to blame them at some level. When you look at the Lumia 820 right next to the HTC 8X, they look almost identical. Only the colors are really different.
    far from identical... only because the front of the phone is similar? come on the edges are not the same, the speaker is different, all I see is that they both have a screen and there is a front facing camera (ARRR damn HTC!)? Maybe they should have made it with small bumps on the screen?

How far can you stretch that copying claim?
    09-25-2012 01:23 PM
    Keep in mind that WP8 is designed to promote the colored shells. Its not just Nokia/HTC that will have the colored backs---every WP8 device should get them.
    WP7 was just as colorful as WP8 is. But LG, Dell, HTC, Samsung, etc...none of them went with brightly-colored polycarbonate cases for their WP7 phones. Nokia did with the Lumia 800 and Lumia 900, and suddenly everyone realized it looked fantastic when combined with the OS. It's only in retrospect that people say "it was so obvious that you should use brightly-colored polycarbonate with Windows Phone."

Nokia WAS an innovator here. Not worth suing over IMO, but they're the one that planted this design seed.
    eharris560 and phatboy66 like this.
    09-25-2012 01:25 PM
    far from identical... only because the front of the phone is similar? come on the edges are not the same, the speaker is different, all I see is that they both have a screen and there is a front facing camera (ARRR damn HTC!)? Maybe they should have made it with small bumps on the screen?

How far can you stretch that copying claim?
    Hard to know how far they can or will stretch the copying claim. My thoughts are primarily looking at the two phones from the front. Nokia was obviously there first in terms of the colored unibody shell on previous versions of the Lumia. If you put the 820 and the 8x side by side facing towards you, they are nearly identical. Obviously there are other differences when looking at different parts of the phone.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    09-25-2012 01:28 PM
    I don't see how this is bad news.

It's REALLY simple not to get sued.

COME UP WITH YOUR OWN DESIGN IDEAS.

That's it.

I'm not sure why some Asian companies *Samsung* *cough* *HTC* *cough* can't seem to understand that deliberately ripping off the design and style of your competitors MIGHT just invite some retaliation.

Anyone who doesn't see that Samung deliberately ripped off the iPhone and that HTC is clearly trying to ride the coattails of the Lumia 800/9xx popularity is in denial or just being willfully ignorant.

COME UP WITH YOUR OWN DESIGNS AND YOU WON'T BE SUED.

Nokia cannot afford not to defend itself relentlessly here. I don't blame them one bit.

That said, I think HTC did one thing better than Nokia here. They made the 8X a reasonable size with a 4.3" screen and a reasonably light weight AND gave it a high res 720p screen.

Nokia has disappointed me a bit by making the 920 even bigger and heavier than the 900. I consider myself pretty loyal to Nokia and I still believe they make the best Windows phones, but until they introduce a Win8 phone with high resolution that is the same size or SMALLER and LIGHTER than my 900, I'm not really yearning to buy a new phone.

Luckily I have almost a year and a half until my contract is up. I'll be patient, but I really hope Nokia does not forget there is an audience for premium phones that aren't stupid-sized like a Samsung Android monstrosity and which don't get increasingly heavy with every new iteration.

Nokia, PLEASE don't make us choose between a decontented 800x480 budget model that fits in the pocket comfortably and a 5 pound phablet phone with all the bells and whistles. :dry
    09-25-2012 01:32 PM
    What Nokia are you comparing the 8x to? The 8x has the high res screen so does the 920. The 820 is the one nokia is "supposedly" claiming was copied.

The samsung lawsuit was unfounded to me. Apple targeted samsung and had to pay off judges or something. Nothing about the handsets in the lawsuit look like a iP4. Only similarity is that they are rectangles with rounded corners from front view. Apple is square from the side, samsungs have curves.
    09-25-2012 01:51 PM
    The samsung lawsuit was unfounded to me. Apple targeted samsung and had to pay off judges or something. Nothing about the handsets in the lawsuit look like a iP4. Only similarity is that they are rectangles with rounded corners from front view. Apple is square from the side, samsungs have curves.
    Nobody was paid off. Certainly not the judge...the jury was the one who found for Apple, not the judge. Regardless, it sounds like you're not very familiar with the subject matter of the lawsuit. It was a LOT more complex than comparing exterior cases.
    09-25-2012 01:55 PM
    Nobody was paid off. Certainly not the judge...the jury was the one who found for Apple, not the judge. Regardless, it sounds like you're not very familiar with the subject matter of the lawsuit. It was a LOT more complex than comparing exterior cases.
    Whatever the courts were paid off. Judges determine what is admissible for the jury to hear. Lawsuit included DESIGN. Exterior case is part of the DESIGN.

There were also two design patents Samsung willfully violated (No. 667 and 305) and one unwillfully (No. 087), according to the verdict. Patents 667 and 087 cover the exterior of the iPhone. Somehow, Apple was able to patent and successfully defend a claim to phone that are rectangular with rounded edges and rounded backs. That's essentially the look of iPhones before the iPhone 4, as can be seen in the sketch from the patent below. The last patents the simple way icons are square-gridded out on an iPhone screen.
    I thought it was the 4 apple was suing about, so my mistake, but the case design patents are one that just about every single phone besides the 4 violates. And again, apple is patenting something they did not invent. Grids of icons had been around for a few years already. Just a case of apple throwing its weight around and forcing the courts to listen to them and rule for them. Believe what you want if you think the courts are unable to be swayed by corporations like apple.
    09-25-2012 02:06 PM
    Whatever the courts were paid off. Judges determine what is admissible for the jury to hear. Lawsuit included DESIGN. Exterior case is part of the DESIGN.
    If you have ANY evidence that corruption was involved, ANY WHATSOEVER, you should point at it. What you are describing is a very, very serious crime. It's one thing to call people idiots, but what you are alleging is a criminal conspiracy involving major felonies committed by both an Article III judge and a major corporation.

If you have any evidence of this, any whatsoever, you should point to it. Otherwise you're accusing people (including a federal judge) of committing felonies with nothing whatsoever to back you up. Which falls somewhere between "weaksauce" and "libel."

Believe what you want if you think the courts are unable to be swayed by corporations like apple.
    This wasn't a big corporation versus a mom-and-pop shop. Apple and Samsung are both multinational tech giants. Saying that Apple won because it's a big corporation is kind of baffling.
    09-25-2012 02:31 PM
    Nokia may file a lawsuit seeking a ban on HTC WP 8X - GSMArena.com news

I wonder if this thread could be the "online gossip" the artical is sighting.....
    09-25-2012 02:34 PM
    really, so all of you people support IP theft? Then PLEASE go to Android where you will be welcomed with open arms by thieves.

HTC aped Nokia's designs and they know it. The fact that Microsoft aided in this is a slap to the face of Nokia and their partnership. Nokia got married to MS and the OS and then MS turned around and got a ***** to dress up as Nokia....plain and simple.
    PREACH ON. If a company wants to use another company concepts. Ask and pay the fees they want.
    09-25-2012 03:01 PM
    If Nokia sues HTC over the design, then Apple should sue Nokia, since Nokia lifted the design from the iPod. Then perhaps Jesus can sue apple, since Apple took the colors out of his color palette.
    09-25-2012 03:04 PM
    What Nokia are you comparing the 8x to? The 8x has the high res screen so does the 920. The 820 is the one nokia is "supposedly" claiming was copied.

Unfounded??? Samsung had documentation stating that Apple design would be easy to copy. Also wasn't Samsung caught destroying evidence? Now
    I see why Palm CEO refused to use the competitors phones.
    09-25-2012 03:27 PM
    If Nokia sues HTC over the design, then Apple should sue Nokia, since Nokia lifted the design from the iPod. Then perhaps Jesus can sue apple, since Apple took the colors out of his color palette.
    Which iPod are u referring to?
    09-25-2012 03:29 PM
    In the end it's probably going to be the new Firefox Mobile OS that wins. It does everything through the Firefox browser, and no other mobile OS does that. :D
    09-25-2012 03:35 PM
    WP7 was just as colorful as WP8 is. But LG, Dell, HTC, Samsung, etc...none of them went with brightly-colored polycarbonate cases for their WP7 phones. Nokia did with the Lumia 800 and Lumia 900, and suddenly everyone realized it looked fantastic when combined with the OS. It's only in retrospect that people say "it was so obvious that you should use brightly-colored polycarbonate with Windows Phone."

Nokia WAS an innovator here. Not worth suing over IMO, but they're the one that planted this design seed.
    Nokia just took the already colored N9 and make the 800. Lets not act like it was made for the ground up with Windows Phone in mind because it wasn't. Nokia took a design they already had and made a WP version the same as every other oem. With the exception of LG.
    Last edited by Winterfang; 09-25-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    09-25-2012 03:59 PM
    And then Jews should sue Jesus for stealing the Old Testament. It'll be awesome. MOAR LAWSUITS 4 EVERYONE!!!!!!!111
    09-25-2012 04:01 PM
112 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD