10-02-2012 02:08 PM
39 12
tools
    Fantastic post Ramrac. The 8X needs to be cheaper than the 920 to compete.
    fingrar likes this.
    09-30-2012 01:19 PM
    @ramrac: You summed it up beautifully. The 8X and 920 aren't direct competitors just because they are the "flagship" models of their manufacturers.

I'd qualify the Ativ S as a competitor for the 920 (not a very good one at that for me) but not the 8X.

This is a bit like the time when Nokia came out with the Lumia 800 - yes, that phone had a great design and everything but it was still underwhelming and it was hard to "upgrade" to it from say, a Samsung Focus. HTC has done well with the design aspect of the phones (really digging the 8S) but there's nothing about the 8X that really stands out and for me, that is a downer. I hate to say this but they need to translate this design onto a phone that packs in more features to be on the same level as Nokia.
    09-30-2012 04:15 PM
    The Ativ S is the same as the 8X or 820, just with a larger but worse quality (Pentile) screen. It's just a SGS3 in a different plastic enclosure, this time one that mimics metal. There is no added value for the customer, it is just ticking boxes. That's the reality of the Asian phone manufacturers, they are just cobbling together the box-ticking off-the-shelf hardware, in an exterior design that they have copied/"been inspired by" someone else who has thought up a successful design and has been daring enough to introduce it, and that's that. They have minimal costs in the design, services, development or customer service departements. A Samsung or HTC is interchangeable with a Huawei, ZTE or any other cheap chinese sweat-shop hardware-cobbler, they are all interchangable and the cheapest ones will stay.

Nokia on the other hand, similar to Apple, is running the old-school business model of trying to offer their customer the best product with the best extra services and added values possible, to offer them the best they can do/make happen. That needs to be communicated better.

Buying a Lumia is like getting a Zune subscription for free, I just found out that the "Nokia Mix Radio" has over 17 Million songs, and you can actually search the Mix Radio and play a song that you want, and it will then fill a Playlist/Mix with songs similar to the one you searched for. Now I also remembered that all the Nokia XPressMusic phones came with a free music downloading service, where you could download music (like in iTunes) for free. THAT is service, that is an offer to your customers.

But the bastardized Android cheepskeet market is only looking at specsheet boxes being ticked and then buys the cheapest thing, regardless of what the manufacturer's made-up name is (ZTE, Huwaei, Samsung, HTC, KCU, JKS, MeePhone, UTH, ZZeidong....whatever), it turned the Smartphone market into the OEM PC market, where people buy their phones like they buy laptops at bestbuy. That way, all companies that actually strive to make great products for their customers, are killed. It's like picking a Brilliance over a BMW, because it has an engine with the same displacement, ticks all the boxes in the extras department, and the front looks kind of similar, so it's good enough...

In my opinion, the S4 processor is so good, that there really isn't a need anymore to run after the latest processor for a 10% performance increase every 6-12 months (I think it's at least 4 times as powerful as the one in the current phones), and it actually makes for a phone to stay, one which you can easily use more than 2 years, and with the specs (Processor, RAM etc) being equally good at all phones because of WP, the time has come to look at WHAT ELSE that phone offers you, and choosing a good companion for the next years, that offers you the most added value and a better experience.

I have bought the cheaper phone so often, that spending "one-night-out" more (50-100) for a phone would've been better than to feel worse-off/behind after just 6 months, and having to buy a new phone at a high price a year later.

At least that's my opinion. I am now looking to find the phone that will be the best companion for me for the next years.

And free, excellent, offline!, navigation (by car, public transport etc) and a free music service that will introduce me to great new music and enhance and widen my music experience, is pretty hard to beat by 0.01mm (I mean seriously...half a centimeter thinner, from say 2.1cm to 1.5cm, is an argument...but between phones that are already only about 1cm thin and often TOO thin to be held in hand comfortably, arguing about 1mm (MILLIMETER!!!!) is so frikking ridiculous and can only take place in the internet...), or the weight of two standard letters or 4 tiny coins... ;)
    10-01-2012 07:28 AM
    I disagree with you on that. The Galaxy S3 is the best phone in the market right now and the ATIV at least expect wise is good deal. It might not bring anything new but it brings the absolute best Samsung has to offer.
    10-01-2012 10:08 AM
    I still don't get what people cream their pants over when it comes to the SGS3. It's none better than the One X, which was available a long time before it. They both have the currently best processor, the S4. Plus, it has a pentile display. With that, it's nothing better than the Lumia 920. I seriously don't see anything that it supposedly has that makes it better than any other same-specced phone, of which there are plenty.
    10-01-2012 08:23 PM
    I still don't get what people cream their pants over when it comes to the SGS3. It's none better than the One X, which was available a long time before it. They both have the currently best processor, the S4. Plus, it has a pentile display. With that, it's nothing better than the Lumia 920. I seriously don't see anything that it supposedly has that makes it better than any other same-specced phone, of which there are plenty.
    Over the Nokia 920 the GS3 has.

Quad-core vs Dual-core (on the international version)
    Bigger screen
    Removable battery
    SD card support
    LED notification
    Lighter
    Thinner

Everywhere you look at it, is a fantastic phone. It didn't destroyed the Android competition by chance.
    10-01-2012 10:30 PM

Bigger screen
    Removable battery
    SD card support
    LED notification
    Lighter
    Thinner

Everywhere you look at it, is a fantastic phone. It didn't destroyed the Android competition by chance.
    Nokia Lumia 920 over GS3
    Wireless Charging
    Puremotion Display
    better PPI
    Pureview Camera
    Sensitive Screen
    better materials (polycarbonate vs Cheap Platic)
    gorilla glass 2

the Nokia Lumia 920 also has a lot as well. so yea... try harder next time man.
    10-02-2012 06:29 AM

This is another thing I don't get.
    It doesn't have an S4 quad-core processor, but an old A9 quad-core. How in the fkuc is that a positive, when that "quad-core" is not faster at reality than the dual-core S4, but uses much more energy? It's like saying having a quad-core "Core2Quad" is better than a dual-core Sandy Bridge. It doesn't make sense. If I had the choice, I would definitely go for the S4 dual-core version of that phone and not for the one with the old A9 and a ridiculously beefed up graphics chip. You had the same old quad-cores before in other devices, it wasn't the first phone with a quad-core A9 as far as I know.

Bigger screen
    Refer to my previous post, there's a graphic in there. The screen isn't bigger, it's just taller. Bigger would mean it's larger in all directions, it isn't.

Removable battery
    SD card support
    LED notification
    Lighter
    Thinner
    Those are all nice to have things, but none of them qualify as elevating it above anything else. My question still stands, what does that Pentile-screened phone have? It has things that the SGS2 didn't have, yes, but what it offers was available before it from other manufacturers. There is still nothing on it that offers more than the hardware specs, nothing that differentiates it or that offers the customer something that others don't. S-Voice? Please...
    As the guy above me summed up, the Lumia 920 offers much more than the SGS3 and is an overall better device.

Hype around the strong "Galaxy S" brand did that, and the fact that people outside the internet don't actually know what Android is, but think that they are buying a "Galaxy Phone", they don't know that a Sony, Motorola, LG or HTC would offer them the same Specs, App selection and operating system.
    10-02-2012 06:42 AM

Bigger screen
    Removable battery
    SD card support
    LED notification
    Lighter
    Thinner

Forgetting the 920 for a moment, there seem to be 2 reasons why people at work have got GS3s, rather than stuff like the One X, or an iPhone 5.

Price, and many people disliking HTC Sense.
    10-02-2012 07:01 AM
    Nokia Lumia 920 over GS3
    Wireless Charging
    Puremotion Display
    better PPI
    Pureview Camera
    Sensitive Screen
    better materials (polycarbonate vs Cheap Platic)
    gorilla glass 2

the Nokia Lumia 920 also has a lot as well. so yea... try harder next time man.
    Those are things that the Lumia has over the GS3 yes but are they better than what the GS3 offers over it?

Removable battery, SD card support, bigger screen vs Higher PPI, Pureview Camera, Sensitive screen.

All of those are great features, I myself prefer the former so I find the ATIV to be a superior Windows Phone 8 over the competition.

Polycarbonate isn't a premium material, is also cheap plastic. Is just a cheap plastic that doesn't looks it's coloring while getting scratch. My 5$ sunglasses are polycarbonate.

I think GS3 also has Gorilla Glass 2 if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know what puremotion display means, seems like a market name like Retina, but the Lumia does have a higher resolution than the GS3, none pentile for the matter so the screen should be superior. But smaller.

Wireless charging is a gimmick that requires you to spend extra money in order to be useful, you can't use your phone while it's charging neither.

Take in mind that the GS3 is also lighter and thinner so is more pocket-able and other great features like LED notification and those little software touches like the fact that the screen won't dim if you are looking at it.

And I don't want to get in there but it runs Android so it has more and better apps.
    10-02-2012 11:18 AM
    Forgetting the 920 for a moment, there seem to be 2 reasons why people at work have got GS3s, rather than stuff like the One X, or an iPhone 5.

Price, and many people disliking HTC Sense.
    The One X is cheaper than the SIII and the SIII costs about what the iPhone does, so that argument doesn't work. The Sense argument stands though. Touchwiz is much less in your face, especially on Android 4.0 phones.

If I were buying one, I'd personally get the One X over the SIII, but I don't like Samsung products. I think the Ativ is a piece of garbage compared to the 8X and the 920.

I still don't see why people think the 920 is so much better than the 8X. I think they are pretty evenly matched, and it will mostly come down to what you want in a smartphone as to which is a better choice for you. I don't see the 920 as being a clearly better phone. Lots of people have pointed out what the 920 has that the 8X lacks, so I'll do the opposite. Here are things the 8X has that the 920 doesn't:

Hardware amplifier
    Dedicated Imaging Chip (faster cam performance)
    More one hand friendly screen (yes phone is larger, but a smaller screen is more one
    hand friendly, and believe it or not, not everyone wants a giant screen)
    Slimmer, lighter design
    Higher DPI screen

I think if HTC releases the Zenith, it could easily beat the 920
    10-02-2012 11:30 AM
    Is mindshare also. Look at a friend of mine, she could get the OneX for 99bucks or the GS3 for 200 bucks. She wanted the GS3 because it was all white as opossed to the One X with was only white on the back.

Simple things like this matter to people.
    10-02-2012 11:38 AM
    OK while we are at it, why not look at durability of the S3 vs the Lumia. When the S3 went up against the iPhone 5, it lost big time. When they tested the Lumia 900, it did much better. The screen never cracked during the test. Only thing that killed the Lumia 900 was water due to an open area because they left the sim card door open during the test.
    Both devices are nice to look at, but having a phone that will not break very easy is a big plus
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdidORzzA1g[/YT]
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M5q5TRuAsY[/YT]
    10-02-2012 01:54 PM
    Those are things that the Lumia has over the GS3 yes but are they better than what the GS3 offers over it?

Removable battery, SD card support, bigger screen vs Higher PPI, Pureview Camera, Sensitive screen.

All of those are great features, I myself prefer the former so I find the ATIV to be a superior Windows Phone 8 over the competition.

Polycarbonate isn't a premium material, is also cheap plastic. Is just a cheap plastic that doesn't looks it's coloring while getting scratch. My 5$ sunglasses are polycarbonate.

I think GS3 also has Gorilla Glass 2 if I'm not mistaken.

I don't know what puremotion display means, seems like a market name like Retina, but the Lumia does have a higher resolution than the GS3, none pentile for the matter so the screen should be superior. But smaller.

Wireless charging is a gimmick that requires you to spend extra money in order to be useful, you can't use your phone while it's charging neither.

Take in mind that the GS3 is also lighter and thinner so is more pocket-able and other great features like LED notification and those little software touches like the fact that the screen won't dim if you are looking at it.

And I don't want to get in there but it runs Android so it has more and better apps.
    well. can't mess with opinions. so if you want the Ativ S fine by me :)
    10-02-2012 02:08 PM
39 12