Slowdown in New Apps?

lee.eubanks

Mar 22, 2012
Visit site
It seems that marketplace has really stalled. Are devs just waiting for the SDK to publish new apps?

If so, does anyone think the Microsoft secrecy with the SDK could really hurt app growth? If I were an app developer, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be waiting with baited breath to develop for Windows Phone--until they show great market share. I just don't get this move by Microsoft. They were really on a roll getting new, GOOD apps.

I'm hoping there's some killer feature they're trying to protect to warrant all this.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I look through the new apps from time to time and though I don't wish to offend developers, boy are some of them cringe-worthy. Most apps and games that are decent are picked up by a Windows Phone site, so I don't feel that losing a few of the "average developers" is such a huge blow.

I loved Ryan Lowdermilk's rant on the latest Windows Developer Show (though that was more related to Windows 8). Microsoft developers need to up their game, there simply aren't enough "indie" developers who are creating polished experiences. People are making their careers with awesome apps on iOS, but most Microsoft developers aren't even giving themselves the chance to do so on Windows Phone.

That said, I'll probably have to eat some humble pie when I look into developing for WP8. For myself, I'm definitely waiting for the SDK before deciding what I want to do, and whether native is worth it (at the cost of possibly limited portability and lost support of WP7).

Maybe the new secret is that they will fix the Zune software, because that thing sucks.
It's quite widely praised, and we already know that Windows 8 will have more native support of Windows Phone devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99