11-15-2012 02:56 PM
108 1234 ...
tools
    I personally can't see the point in waiting.

What will you get for waiting? A couple of extra cores? wireless charging on non-nokia devices?

But in the mean time, poor sales could mean Samsung or HTC give up on WP and just resort to their previous strategy of feeding scraps to WP, and not supporting the devices. Thus by waiting, all you've done is guarantee the device you want never really comes to WP, or comes 12 months too late.

Me, i'm jumping in feet first into WP8 (although im still in the air as to which device), because i want it to succeed, and several of the devices tick enough boxes to make them excellent upgrades to my existing phone.
    10-02-2012 04:19 AM
    I personally can't see the point in waiting.

What will you get for waiting? A couple of extra cores? wireless charging on non-nokia devices?

But in the mean time, poor sales could mean Samsung or HTC give up on WP and just resort to their previous strategy of feeding scraps to WP, and not supporting the devices. Thus by waiting, all you've done is guarantee the device you want never really comes to WP, or comes 12 months too late.

Me, i'm jumping in feet first into WP8 (although im still in the air as to which device), because i want it to succeed, and several of the devices tick enough boxes to make them excellent upgrades to my existing phone.
    A. Wp8 adds nothing that o need.

B. The hardware adds nothing that I need.

C. It will take at least a few months for apps to populate.

D. I'm going to purchase off contract so it makes sense.
    10-02-2012 10:08 AM
    I'm not signing a contract ever again, so the upgrade factor is irrelevant to me. I'll only wait if I can't afford to buy until the next batch of devices. But since I can net an extra $1000 on my paycheck just by working both weekends, that seems unlikely...
    10-02-2012 10:17 AM
    A. Wp8 adds nothing that o need.

B. The hardware adds nothing that I need.

C. It will take at least a few months for apps to populate.

D. I'm going to purchase off contract so it makes sense.
    In your case i can understand not upgrading, but just those 4 points say to me WP isn't the OS for you.

Fast forward 6 months, gen 2 devices are here, i can't see A or B changing much, so its apps and purchase cost, both of which will be far better on Android.

Thats my perspective anyway. So what are you expecting from Gen 2?
    10-02-2012 10:26 AM
    SurfaceRT is the first thing on my wish list. And it does not look like my dinosaur will be upgradeable to Win8, so I may be looking at a new desktop before the end of the year. With my tight budget, no WP8 till spring 2012. Upgrade is not available till 1/13, but I usually purchase every year, one on/one off contract, and resell to make up the extra cost.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    10-02-2012 10:59 AM
    I'm done with my crappy carrier. I'll probably get a 710 or a cheap android device now and use it on one of those prepaid carriers and destroy my credit. I just can't keep having crappy service until March.
    10-02-2012 10:59 AM
    SurfaceRT is the first thing on my wish list.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro
    Yup. Me too. At this point the Surface RT is my priority and besides, my phone is still so new that I just can't justify an upgrade.

My money will be better spent on the RT tablet and getting my computers bumped to Windows 8.
    10-02-2012 11:55 AM
    The Surface is the only Tablet besides the Ipad that makes me drool.
    10-02-2012 12:03 PM
    I was going to wait to see what HTC had to offer with their flagship WP8 device. In fact in some post somewhere, I posted that I would wait.

But I have changed my mind.

1. I can upgrade now and upgrade ~6 months from now, so I can get WP8 Gen 2 pretty quick. ( Think multiple lines on AT*&T)

2. HTC flagship phone most likely (90%) won't be 1280x768 and more likely 1280x720p like One X and One X+. This resolution is not a 1:1 aspect ratio with current WP7 apps at 480x800, so there will probably be black bars in a 1280x720 display. The 768 display is 1-to-1 with WVGA so there will be no scale problems.

3. I have decided to have a 6 month affair with Nokia to see how they are. HTC is my first love, but they didn't treat me right when they withheld their flagship phone:) If HTC impresses me, then the affair will end.
    10-02-2012 12:45 PM
    OK --

With the confirmation this morning of the likelyhood of an upcoming Microsoft WP8 device, I'm definitely going to just get the 7.8 update and then hang on for a bit and see what shakes out.

This has got to be the most confusing product-line launch I've ever seen...
    10-02-2012 12:55 PM
    In your case i can understand not upgrading, but just those 4 points say to me WP isn't the OS for you.

Fast forward 6 months, gen 2 devices are here, i can't see A or B changing much, so its apps and purchase cost, both of which will be far better on Android.

Thats my perspective anyway. So what are you expecting from Gen 2?
    I prefer the WP OS. 6 months from now we will see this OS come to life. If anything the cost of the 920 and 8x will have pretty big price cuts. What I'm saying is my current wp7 will do everything these new phones will. Might as well keep this HTC trophy running. Lol. I guess I'm not the guy that needs something because it's shinier.
    10-02-2012 01:13 PM
    Now that Microsoft is working on their own high-end phone, I'll definitely be putting off my switch from Android to WP8. The Microsoft phone will get the best support and fastest updates. I wonder what other goodies it will have? I'm looking forward to learning more about it. :)
    10-02-2012 01:29 PM
    OK --

With the confirmation this morning of the likelyhood of an upcoming Microsoft WP8 device, I'm definitely going to just get the 7.8 update and then hang on for a bit and see what shakes out.

This has got to be the most confusing product-line launch I've ever seen...
    These leaks seem fishy. Spock would say it is illogical.

1. Why would Microsoft burn bridges with Nokia and start competing with them?
    2. Nokia is the most innovative smartphone maker. (Synaptic touch, 60hz voltage step boost display, Purview "808 and OIS", Qi internal, Clear Black..) Microsoft couldn't compete.

Conclusion. With Nokia Stock at a all time low, Microsoft will not compete against Nokia. Microsoft will buy Nokia. The Microsoft Phone will just be the "Nokia" WP8.

/deduction
    10-02-2012 01:58 PM
    Uh I think these devices would be considered 3rd Gen if you ask me..

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't WP8 second generation?

Anyway, I waited for mango before I got my first windows phone. When I'm ready for a new phone I'll probably wait until the next big os release.
    10-02-2012 02:04 PM

2. Nokia is the most innovative smartphone maker. (Synaptic touch, 60hz voltage step boost display, Purview "808 and OIS", Qi internal, Clear Black..) Microsoft couldn't compete.

Conclusion. With Nokia Stock at a all time low, Microsoft will not compete against Nokia. Microsoft will buy Nokia. The Microsoft Phone will just be the "Nokia" WP8.

/deduction
    Again, not the first time this would have been done. Intel has their own branded motherboards cutting into sales of all their OEM partners. Their boards are not usually as fully featured either but cost more most times. This would probably be the same with MS putting out a phone.

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't WP8 second generation?

Anyway, I waited for mango before I got my first windows phone. When I'm ready for a new phone I'll probably wait until the next big os release.
    wp8 is second gen windows phone os. Most people here are talking about second gen wp8 devices. That would be the 8.5 OS/phone release. Similar to when the Titan and Focus 2 and 900 came out. All 2nd gen wp7 devices to coincide with the 7.5 OS release.
    10-02-2012 02:09 PM

/deduction
    I think I just ate my words. From the article on the first page of WPCentral.

I just didnt think Microsoft would want to compete against Nokia. It didnt make since with all the innovations Nokia had.

If, this is true. I eat my words. Can I have something to drink with that Microsoft?
    10-02-2012 02:16 PM

/deduction
    so do you think google burns bridges when they create Nexus phones?
    10-02-2012 03:46 PM
    I'm just waiting for a 5" or greater WP8. I may be waiting a while sadly.
    10-02-2012 04:45 PM
    Definitely not holding out - it's the holiday season! I'll probably wait a few weeks before getting a WP8, after I read/watch reviews of each of the phones.
    10-02-2012 10:12 PM
    I am in a similar bind. The Lumia 920 might be too huge to be pocketable, especially with a case. I hated my previous HTC products and the Ativ S is pretty much the same as my current phone except it runs Windows Phone 8 instead.

I am tempted to try WP8 because I am tired of both IOS and Android(I even had a BB at one point) but I might not have an option that I am solid with.

If neither of those three shake my doubts about them in the next few weeks, I might have to get a Lumia 800 for cheap and wait it out.
    10-02-2012 10:51 PM
    so do you think google burns bridges when they create Nexus phones?
    Difference is Google PARTNERS with a new OEM for each Nexus line. They didn't make the Gnex. Samsung did. LG (someone correct me if I'm wrong about it being LG) made the Nexus One, or Nexus S, whichever... HTC will make the next Nexus device(s), etc. Google doesn't build the device, they just don't allow the OEM partner to skin it or add bloat.
    10-03-2012 11:37 AM
    I plan on upgrading right away when Verizon gets either the Lumia 920 or the HTC 8X. First choice of course is the Lumia because of all the apps and the amazing camera and screen. Plus it is very durable, which is a plus in my line of work. The 8X has a very good camera and is also beautiful to look at.
    10-03-2012 12:07 PM
    What I'm hoping for is that there won't be a "2nd Gen". For WP8, lets do away with these silly release schedules and release phones when new hardware (CPUs, displays, etc.) becomes available.

All these release schedules mean is that we'll always be playing catch up to Android. Lets see the Titan III/HD8 in 3 months when all the other S4 Pro phones launch. NOT SUMMER 2013.
    steve_w_7 likes this.
    10-03-2012 12:41 PM
    I'm waiting. The launch lineup is uninspiring and none of the devices fit what I'd want from an upgrade. The 8X is probably the closest, but I like the 920's camera.

As a minimum, I'd want something small and fast with a great camera and an LED to indicate that I should check the screen (ala Blackberry or X1).

I do not want NFC, wireless charging, LTE or a sealed-in battery.
    10-03-2012 04:21 PM
    Difference is Google PARTNERS with a new OEM for each Nexus line. They didn't make the Gnex. Samsung did. LG (someone correct me if I'm wrong about it being LG) made the Nexus One, or Nexus S, whichever... HTC will make the next Nexus device(s), etc. Google doesn't build the device, they just don't allow the OEM partner to skin it or add bloat.
    And they didnt do it when android was just starting out, and even then there were still questions raised. Might have had a different effect if they had done it when the first android device, the G1 was released.
    10-03-2012 04:48 PM
108 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD