Anyone Going to Hold Out for 2nd Gen Devices?

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
These leaks seem fishy. Spock would say it is illogical.

1. Why would Microsoft burn bridges with Nokia and start competing with them?
2. Nokia is the most innovative smartphone maker. (Synaptic touch, 60hz voltage step boost display, Purview "808 and OIS", Qi internal, Clear Black..) Microsoft couldn't compete.

Conclusion. With Nokia Stock at a all time low, Microsoft will not compete against Nokia. Microsoft will buy Nokia. The Microsoft Phone will just be the "Nokia" WP8.

/deduction

I think I just ate my words. From the article on the first page of WPCentral.

I just didnt think Microsoft would want to compete against Nokia. It didnt make since with all the innovations Nokia had.

If, this is true. I eat my words. Can I have something to drink with that Microsoft?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
These leaks seem fishy. Spock would say it is illogical.

1. Why would Microsoft burn bridges with Nokia and start competing with them?
2. Nokia is the most innovative smartphone maker. (Synaptic touch, 60hz voltage step boost display, Purview "808 and OIS", Qi internal, Clear Black..) Microsoft couldn't compete.

Conclusion. With Nokia Stock at a all time low, Microsoft will not compete against Nokia. Microsoft will buy Nokia. The Microsoft Phone will just be the "Nokia" WP8.

/deduction

so do you think google burns bridges when they create Nexus phones?

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Definitely not holding out - it's the holiday season! I'll probably wait a few weeks before getting a WP8, after I read/watch reviews of each of the phones.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am in a similar bind. The Lumia 920 might be too huge to be pocketable, especially with a case. I hated my previous HTC products and the Ativ S is pretty much the same as my current phone except it runs Windows Phone 8 instead.

I am tempted to try WP8 because I am tired of both IOS and Android(I even had a BB at one point) but I might not have an option that I am solid with.

If neither of those three shake my doubts about them in the next few weeks, I might have to get a Lumia 800 for cheap and wait it out.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
so do you think google burns bridges when they create Nexus phones?

Difference is Google PARTNERS with a new OEM for each Nexus line. They didn't make the Gnex. Samsung did. LG (someone correct me if I'm wrong about it being LG) made the Nexus One, or Nexus S, whichever... HTC will make the next Nexus device(s), etc. Google doesn't build the device, they just don't allow the OEM partner to skin it or add bloat.

AndroidJay

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I plan on upgrading right away when Verizon gets either the Lumia 920 or the HTC 8X. First choice of course is the Lumia because of all the apps and the amazing camera and screen. Plus it is very durable, which is a plus in my line of work. The 8X has a very good camera and is also beautiful to look at.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
What I'm hoping for is that there won't be a "2nd Gen". For WP8, lets do away with these silly release schedules and release phones when new hardware (CPUs, displays, etc.) becomes available.

All these release schedules mean is that we'll always be playing catch up to Android. Lets see the Titan III/HD8 in 3 months when all the other S4 Pro phones launch. NOT SUMMER 2013.

ListenUpGuys

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm waiting. The launch lineup is uninspiring and none of the devices fit what I'd want from an upgrade. The 8X is probably the closest, but I like the 920's camera.

As a minimum, I'd want something small and fast with a great camera and an LED to indicate that I should check the screen (ala Blackberry or X1).

I do not want NFC, wireless charging, LTE or a sealed-in battery.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Difference is Google PARTNERS with a new OEM for each Nexus line. They didn't make the Gnex. Samsung did. LG (someone correct me if I'm wrong about it being LG) made the Nexus One, or Nexus S, whichever... HTC will make the next Nexus device(s), etc. Google doesn't build the device, they just don't allow the OEM partner to skin it or add bloat.

And they didnt do it when android was just starting out, and even then there were still questions raised. Might have had a different effect if they had done it when the first android device, the G1 was released.

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site
I had a bad experience with my L800. It was just 5 month old and only stayed in my hands in 2 months total..1 month in transit, 2 mos. in NCC..I'll wait for your hands on experinces posted on the forums while waiting for 2nd gen WP8 devices..

I have paid a full price for a working device but I fell as is if I am just a beta tester.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site

HTC made the first nexus

Anyhow, it doesn't matter if they partnered with someone, they singled out one OEM out of the vast choices of other OEMS that weren't able to create a nexus device. It was another competing item for the public to choose.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to hold out till CES. I am not going to beta test the first wave of WP8! Will let you guys pour in with reviews first ;)

Plus looking back at history 7.5 > 7.0 or 7.1

I think MSFT will push out the not-so-ready WP8 this Ocotber and the real deal that "should have been in WP8" will all follow on with WP8.5 devices - Got my Titan and didn't have to worry about no copy and paste etc. kind of rants. I think probably WP8.5 is going to do the same. I have high expectations, I am bound to be disappointed with WP8. With WP8.5, I'll be happy and dandy! :D

cj-m

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Same here

Yup. Me too. At this point the Surface RT is my priority and besides, my phone is still so new that I just can't justify an upgrade.

My money will be better spent on the RT tablet and getting my computers bumped to Windows 8.

My L900 was only purchased this year on No Commitment, so updated to WP7.8, it will definitely last me well into next year and even beyond, if need be.

Biggest priority is a WP8 tablet - preferably the Surface Pro, then a new WP8 handset. I can't get handsets via contract, so as usual, i have to buy it No Commitment.

So, to answer the OP, yes, i am going to hold out for the next gen WP8.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Up until a day ago I would have said no...but now I am thinking i'll wait but...

...only if v7.8 comes in a timely manner. You see I have a 900 and I asked myself whats wrong with it? Nothing...yes there are wants but nothing I would be willing to give up my AT&T $200 phone allotment. I would hate to buy a new phone under contract and then have to pay out-of-pocket ($500+) for a phone I really want.

The fall 2012 batch of phones aren't that much different the 900 to me...heck even the 920 looks the same.

I guess I am at the dreaded point of being content and that sux. Again the 7.8 must come quickly thought or my itch to be equal w/others will grow again.

aniym

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Although the black matte L920 looks nice, the WP8 ecosystem is largely unproven in terms of apps, so I will wait until Year 2.

I am also waiting to see if MS releases an own-brand phone. I'm not sure if Nokia will succeed with the 920/820, so I won't risk getting it right away.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, unless we hear of some awesome WP8 launch apps (apple always has a few for each big release) I will have no problem waiting for a surface phone.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

HTC made the first Nexus, Samsung has made the last two Nexus phones, it is unknown who, if anybody, will make the next one.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Probably.

I have a Lumia 900 and I haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to go out and spend $4-600 on a new phone.

If Nokia had made the 920 the same size and weight as the 900 or even a bit lighter and smaller, but with the same resolution, that would have been damn close though.

I'll hold out and hope that Nokia comes to their senses and realizes that not every premium phone customer wants to carry a giant 5 lb roof tile in their pocket.

Make a non-cheapo 820 sized phone with better than 800x480 resolution and you'll earn more of my business, Nokia. Until then, I'll stick with what I've got and go for the 7.8 upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077