11-15-2012 01:56 PM
108 12345
tools
    my plan
    Get 1st generation > sell it > get surface phone
    10-03-2012 04:03 PM
    I had a bad experience with my L800. It was just 5 month old and only stayed in my hands in 2 months total..1 month in transit, 2 mos. in NCC..I'll wait for your hands on experinces posted on the forums while waiting for 2nd gen WP8 devices..

I have paid a full price for a working device but I fell as is if I am just a beta tester.
    10-04-2012 12:29 AM
    Difference is Google PARTNERS with a new OEM for each Nexus line. They didn't make the Gnex. Samsung did. LG (someone correct me if I'm wrong about it being LG) made the Nexus One, or Nexus S, whichever... HTC will make the next Nexus device(s), etc. Google doesn't build the device, they just don't allow the OEM partner to skin it or add bloat.
    HTC made the first nexus

Anyhow, it doesn't matter if they partnered with someone, they singled out one OEM out of the vast choices of other OEMS that weren't able to create a nexus device. It was another competing item for the public to choose.
    10-04-2012 02:42 AM
    I'm going to hold out till CES. I am not going to beta test the first wave of WP8! Will let you guys pour in with reviews first ;)

Plus looking back at history 7.5 > 7.0 or 7.1

I think MSFT will push out the not-so-ready WP8 this Ocotber and the real deal that "should have been in WP8" will all follow on with WP8.5 devices - Got my Titan and didn't have to worry about no copy and paste etc. kind of rants. I think probably WP8.5 is going to do the same. I have high expectations, I am bound to be disappointed with WP8. With WP8.5, I'll be happy and dandy! :D
    10-04-2012 07:03 AM
    Yup. Me too. At this point the Surface RT is my priority and besides, my phone is still so new that I just can't justify an upgrade.

My money will be better spent on the RT tablet and getting my computers bumped to Windows 8.
    My L900 was only purchased this year on No Commitment, so updated to WP7.8, it will definitely last me well into next year and even beyond, if need be.

Biggest priority is a WP8 tablet - preferably the Surface Pro, then a new WP8 handset. I can't get handsets via contract, so as usual, i have to buy it No Commitment.

So, to answer the OP, yes, i am going to hold out for the next gen WP8.
    10-04-2012 08:25 AM
    Up until a day ago I would have said no...but now I am thinking i'll wait but...

...only if v7.8 comes in a timely manner. You see I have a 900 and I asked myself whats wrong with it? Nothing...yes there are wants but nothing I would be willing to give up my AT&T $200 phone allotment. I would hate to buy a new phone under contract and then have to pay out-of-pocket ($500+) for a phone I really want.

The fall 2012 batch of phones aren't that much different the 900 to me...heck even the 920 looks the same.

I guess I am at the dreaded point of being content and that sux. Again the 7.8 must come quickly thought or my itch to be equal w/others will grow again.
    10-04-2012 08:40 AM
    Although the black matte L920 looks nice, the WP8 ecosystem is largely unproven in terms of apps, so I will wait until Year 2.

I am also waiting to see if MS releases an own-brand phone. I'm not sure if Nokia will succeed with the 920/820, so I won't risk getting it right away.
    10-04-2012 08:45 AM
    Yeah, unless we hear of some awesome WP8 launch apps (apple always has a few for each big release) I will have no problem waiting for a surface phone.
    10-04-2012 10:31 AM
    Difference is Google PARTNERS with a new OEM for each Nexus line. They didn't make the Gnex. Samsung did. LG (someone correct me if I'm wrong about it being LG) made the Nexus One, or Nexus S, whichever... HTC will make the next Nexus device(s), etc. Google doesn't build the device, they just don't allow the OEM partner to skin it or add bloat.
    HTC made the first Nexus, Samsung has made the last two Nexus phones, it is unknown who, if anybody, will make the next one.
    10-04-2012 12:04 PM
    Probably.

I have a Lumia 900 and I haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to go out and spend $4-600 on a new phone.

If Nokia had made the 920 the same size and weight as the 900 or even a bit lighter and smaller, but with the same resolution, that would have been damn close though.

I'll hold out and hope that Nokia comes to their senses and realizes that not every premium phone customer wants to carry a giant 5 lb roof tile in their pocket.

Make a non-cheapo 820 sized phone with better than 800x480 resolution and you'll earn more of my business, Nokia. Until then, I'll stick with what I've got and go for the 7.8 upgrade.
    10-04-2012 01:58 PM
    I'm just waiting for a 5" or greater WP8. I may be waiting a while sadly.
    10-04-2012 02:04 PM
    I'm going to hold out for the Gen 2 devices, but right before I get one, I'm gonna see what the rumors are about the Gen 3 devices, so I may hold out for those, but by that time I will probably just get a Gen 4 device....
    Mystictrust and tampacoder like this.
    10-04-2012 02:05 PM
    I might as I am hoping for something with a larger screen, something like the Galaxy Note. A phone like that would serve me well so that I would not have to carry a phone and a tablet or notebook. I know that size is not for everyone but I am hopeful that there will be a W8 phone of that size.
    10-04-2012 03:48 PM
    I'll be waiting for whatever is comming out next year when my upgrade eligibility is ready. I didn't pick up my current phone until last November, so I have awhile to wait.
    10-04-2012 08:10 PM
    And they didnt do it when android was just starting out, and even then there were still questions raised. Might have had a different effect if they had done it when the first android device, the G1 was released.
    That too.
    10-04-2012 10:03 PM
    newer versions will always keep coming. I don't see any gen 2 devices until at least summer 2013.
    I agree. I've had friends and colleagues who were (mostly cheap) and always held out another generation for upgrading their PC's. I understood on doing that if you didn't need one but one guy absolutely needed a computer and just said "Man those core 2 duo's will be out next year I can hold on to my P4 (First Gen).
    Cracks me up. I get that feeling though, I'm carrying around a Lumia 900 and I'm going to be upgrading to a 920 after just a few short months.
    10-04-2012 10:44 PM
    No matter when you buy your phone, there will be something cooler out in 6-12 months. No way around that. So I'm upgrading as soon as I'm due for an upgrade (March 2013).
    I feel as though AT&T should offer an early upgrade for any Lumia 900 owner for $150 to get a 920. We should be forced to wait another 12 months. This would be an excellent goodwill gesture.
    10-05-2012 12:40 AM
    Was thinking about just waiting to see what comes to fruit in regards to the surface phone.

but probably will just go with the 920. I might even just hold off from the 920 till december just to see if anyting happens or just to get it cheaper around black friday. my brother isn't expecting my 900 until december anyways haha.
    10-05-2012 02:38 AM
    I made a little bit of a mistake and got an Android phone. I can upgrade again in July so I`ll be 2nd gen.
    10-05-2012 12:26 PM
    I feel as though AT&T should offer an early upgrade for any Lumia 900 owner for $150 to get a 920. We should be forced to wait another 12 months. This would be an excellent goodwill gesture.
    I paid $99 for my phone and THEN got that $99 reimbursed by Nokia, even though I haven't had a single problem with it. So I got the BEST phone I've ever owned for FREE. I'm more than satisfied.
    rdubmu likes this.
    10-05-2012 06:05 PM
    I paid $99 for my phone and THEN got that $99 reimbursed by Nokia, even though I haven't had a single problem with it. So I got the BEST phone I've ever owned for FREE. I'm more than satisfied.
    Me too, I got my L900 for free and no problems. But I think it's in Nokia's interest to get everyone on Windows Phone 8 for obvious reasons.
    10-05-2012 06:12 PM
    I've been eligible for an upgrade since July 2011 and have had the TP2 and Arrive since then. I'm probably going to go Note2 when Sprint releases it and by the time I come up for an upgrade again, there will probably be WP10 devices out there with quad cores and large screens. Then I'll decide whether to come back. I'll wait and watch from the outside while Sprint decides what they want to do over the next couple years.
    10-05-2012 06:40 PM
    There is no way I'm waiting. I won't even wait a month after whatever Verizon gets out first. I need a new phone asap, my Trophy is driving me nuts. Terribly slow camera, daily bouts of lagginess and random resetting of apps to their newly installed state. I can't tell you how many times I've had to redo the locations in my weather apps. I'm ready for a new device.

My contract isn't up til next year, so I'll be paying full price for this one and will then take a look at what's available next year too.
    10-06-2012 01:28 AM
    Yeah, I cancelled my pre-order from Best Buy. I'm gonna do the 7.8 to my Quantum and hold out into next year a ways and see what happens with the phones and the whole eco system. There are things I don't really like about where it's heading, but, keeping my mind open at all times.

Going to be really hard to not buy a W8 tablet/convertable though, thinking the HP Envy x2.
    10-31-2012 04:27 PM
    Technology will keep improving. Chances are when the next gen of devices comes out, there will be better things on the horizon. So no, I will not hold out for the next gen, but I will wait a few months until prices drop on the 920.
    10-31-2012 04:34 PM
108 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD