Anyone Going to Hold Out for 2nd Gen Devices?

Big Ang for the WIN

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm sticking with my L710 at least until next spring, maybe even the fall. My carrier (Mobilicity in Canada) doesn't give subsidies in order to keep the monthly fees dirt cheap, so I have to buy my phones outright. I'm looking for mid-range phone at a good price so I don't feel bad about buying a new phone more frequently and I don't feel bad when I drop it accidently and the edges get a little scratched. Plus I prefer a "small" phone with a screen of 3.7-4 inches.

Yes, the new WP8 phones will look great, and the L820 and WP 8S will hopefully be priced aggressively. But nothing about them hardware-wise is compelling enough for me to replace my L710, and there are no WP8-only apps out yet. I love the L920's camera, but the unsubsidized price will probably be $500+ and they probably won't make a version that is compatible with Mobilicity (which uses the same 3G bands as T-Mobile).

So I'll sit back, wait for the WP8 ecosystem to grow, and wait for the L920's Pureview camera to trickle down to the next gen mid-range devices (Lumia 830?).

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It feels more and more to me like HTC hasn't shown their high end phone yet and there is a rumor out there that Microsoft will be releasing their own 'Surface Phone' in early 2013.

Hey Steve, this is what I think:

If you aren't excited about any of the features shipping with the OS, then you really don't need to rush. Until apps come out that make use of the better WP8 hardware you won't be missing anything. Check up on WP8 apps every one or two months and make your decisions based on what you see and like in the marketplace.

The rumor that Microsoft will be releasing their own Surface Phone is BS. Waiting for this is a waste of time. What we can expect in early 2013 is the Surface Pro, but that isn't related to WP8.

HTC hasn't released their flagship device yet, and Nokia is still working on their mid-range devices. Both are due in early 2013, but don't expect any major changes in core hardware... different screen sizes, flash card support, different battery sizes... that sort of thing.

I got a Lumia 920 now, as I'm excited about the software and the OS, but waiting certainly isn't wrong either.

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
I am simply bored with ios and android.

You can't exactly get bored of Android, you can always customize it and completely change it to your liking.

On the other hand, I could see you getting bored of its constant problems and software bugs ;)

scdkad

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Uh I think these devices would be considered 3rd Gen if you ask me..

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I personally can't see the point in waiting.

What will you get for waiting? A couple of extra cores? wireless charging on non-nokia devices?

But in the mean time, poor sales could mean Samsung or HTC give up on WP and just resort to their previous strategy of feeding scraps to WP, and not supporting the devices. Thus by waiting, all you've done is guarantee the device you want never really comes to WP, or comes 12 months too late.

Me, i'm jumping in feet first into WP8 (although im still in the air as to which device), because i want it to succeed, and several of the devices tick enough boxes to make them excellent upgrades to my existing phone.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I personally can't see the point in waiting.

What will you get for waiting? A couple of extra cores? wireless charging on non-nokia devices?

But in the mean time, poor sales could mean Samsung or HTC give up on WP and just resort to their previous strategy of feeding scraps to WP, and not supporting the devices. Thus by waiting, all you've done is guarantee the device you want never really comes to WP, or comes 12 months too late.

Me, i'm jumping in feet first into WP8 (although im still in the air as to which device), because i want it to succeed, and several of the devices tick enough boxes to make them excellent upgrades to my existing phone.

A. Wp8 adds nothing that o need.

B. The hardware adds nothing that I need.

C. It will take at least a few months for apps to populate.

D. I'm going to purchase off contract so it makes sense.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm not signing a contract ever again, so the upgrade factor is irrelevant to me. I'll only wait if I can't afford to buy until the next batch of devices. But since I can net an extra $1000 on my paycheck just by working both weekends, that seems unlikely...

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
A. Wp8 adds nothing that o need.

B. The hardware adds nothing that I need.

C. It will take at least a few months for apps to populate.

D. I'm going to purchase off contract so it makes sense.

In your case i can understand not upgrading, but just those 4 points say to me WP isn't the OS for you.

Fast forward 6 months, gen 2 devices are here, i can't see A or B changing much, so its apps and purchase cost, both of which will be far better on Android.

Thats my perspective anyway. So what are you expecting from Gen 2?

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
SurfaceRT is the first thing on my wish list. And it does not look like my dinosaur will be upgradeable to Win8, so I may be looking at a new desktop before the end of the year. With my tight budget, no WP8 till spring 2012. Upgrade is not available till 1/13, but I usually purchase every year, one on/one off contract, and resell to make up the extra cost.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm done with my crappy carrier. I'll probably get a 710 or a cheap android device now and use it on one of those prepaid carriers and destroy my credit. I just can't keep having crappy service until March.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
SurfaceRT is the first thing on my wish list.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Yup. Me too. At this point the Surface RT is my priority and besides, my phone is still so new that I just can't justify an upgrade.

My money will be better spent on the RT tablet and getting my computers bumped to Windows 8.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I was going to wait to see what HTC had to offer with their flagship WP8 device. In fact in some post somewhere, I posted that I would wait.

But I have changed my mind.

1. I can upgrade now and upgrade ~6 months from now, so I can get WP8 Gen 2 pretty quick. ( Think multiple lines on AT*&T)

2. HTC flagship phone most likely (90%) won't be 1280x768 and more likely 1280x720p like One X and One X+. This resolution is not a 1:1 aspect ratio with current WP7 apps at 480x800, so there will probably be black bars in a 1280x720 display. The 768 display is 1-to-1 with WVGA so there will be no scale problems.

3. I have decided to have a 6 month affair with Nokia to see how they are. HTC is my first love, but they didn't treat me right when they withheld their flagship phone:) If HTC impresses me, then the affair will end.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
OK --

With the confirmation this morning of the likelyhood of an upcoming Microsoft WP8 device, I'm definitely going to just get the 7.8 update and then hang on for a bit and see what shakes out.

This has got to be the most confusing product-line launch I've ever seen...

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
In your case i can understand not upgrading, but just those 4 points say to me WP isn't the OS for you.

Fast forward 6 months, gen 2 devices are here, i can't see A or B changing much, so its apps and purchase cost, both of which will be far better on Android.

Thats my perspective anyway. So what are you expecting from Gen 2?

I prefer the WP OS. 6 months from now we will see this OS come to life. If anything the cost of the 920 and 8x will have pretty big price cuts. What I'm saying is my current wp7 will do everything these new phones will. Might as well keep this HTC trophy running. Lol. I guess I'm not the guy that needs something because it's shinier.

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Now that Microsoft is working on their own high-end phone, I'll definitely be putting off my switch from Android to WP8. The Microsoft phone will get the best support and fastest updates. I wonder what other goodies it will have? I'm looking forward to learning more about it. :)

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
OK --

With the confirmation this morning of the likelyhood of an upcoming Microsoft WP8 device, I'm definitely going to just get the 7.8 update and then hang on for a bit and see what shakes out.

This has got to be the most confusing product-line launch I've ever seen...
These leaks seem fishy. Spock would say it is illogical.

1. Why would Microsoft burn bridges with Nokia and start competing with them?
2. Nokia is the most innovative smartphone maker. (Synaptic touch, 60hz voltage step boost display, Purview "808 and OIS", Qi internal, Clear Black..) Microsoft couldn't compete.

Conclusion. With Nokia Stock at a all time low, Microsoft will not compete against Nokia. Microsoft will buy Nokia. The Microsoft Phone will just be the "Nokia" WP8.

/deduction

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Uh I think these devices would be considered 3rd Gen if you ask me..

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't WP8 second generation?

Anyway, I waited for mango before I got my first windows phone. When I'm ready for a new phone I'll probably wait until the next big os release.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
These leaks seem fishy. Spock would say it is illogical.

1. Why would Microsoft burn bridges with Nokia and start competing with them?
2. Nokia is the most innovative smartphone maker. (Synaptic touch, 60hz voltage step boost display, Purview "808 and OIS", Qi internal, Clear Black..) Microsoft couldn't compete.

Conclusion. With Nokia Stock at a all time low, Microsoft will not compete against Nokia. Microsoft will buy Nokia. The Microsoft Phone will just be the "Nokia" WP8.

/deduction

Again, not the first time this would have been done. Intel has their own branded motherboards cutting into sales of all their OEM partners. Their boards are not usually as fully featured either but cost more most times. This would probably be the same with MS putting out a phone.

I was thinking the same thing. Isn't WP8 second generation?

Anyway, I waited for mango before I got my first windows phone. When I'm ready for a new phone I'll probably wait until the next big os release.

wp8 is second gen windows phone os. Most people here are talking about second gen wp8 devices. That would be the 8.5 OS/phone release. Similar to when the Titan and Focus 2 and 900 came out. All 2nd gen wp7 devices to coincide with the 7.5 OS release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12