Anyone Going to Hold Out for 2nd Gen Devices?

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
i was damned and determined to get a WP8 device by Black Friday. i am on a regional carrier (CDMA), and in addition to hardly ever getting any new phones, most of the ones they DO get are Motorola, which I am fed up with.

my contract ends at the end of November, and i figured that Verizon would be all-in with Nokia and I'd be set to jump over to them. it seems like rumors of the 920 have been circulating forever now, and i just kept holding out hope that VZW would have it or a variant of it by the time my contract ends.

as of right now, it does not look like that is going to happen. i do like the 8X, in some ways even more than the 920, especially the looks...but i have been drooling over the idea of the PureView and image stabilization, not to mention the exclusive Nokia apps, so while it may not be 2nd gen devices i'm waiting on, i do plan on at least holding off until after the first of the year to see what rumored devices are being mentioned for VZW.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
To me, I really REALLY want Windows Phone 8 since way better apps will be coming (hopefully), but I will try to hold out for 7.8. I'm on Straight Talk with my Lumia 900, and I will be darned to switch to a contract where I pay $90+/month (after company discount) vs. $45/month for the same service (minus LTE). Add to that that I want to wait for a more powerful SOC. I'm fine with the dual core CPU, but the GPU (Adreno 225) is mad weak and not worth it to shell out full price for outdated hardware IMO (I'm a huge gamer on mobile phones). I pray that 7.8 won't take too long, but I know that won't be the case....

Now, if AT&T would work with me to where my pricing is the same as Straight Talk.....

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's my problem...

I'm due for a hardware upgrade, but the more time that has passed since the handsets were introduced, the less excited I'm getting to upgrade.

I might just grab the 7.8 update and hold out for 2nd gen devices. We all saw what happened with the Mango handsets (Titan/Titan II).

It feels more and more to me like HTC hasn't shown their high end phone yet and there is a rumor out there that Microsoft will be releasing their own 'Surface Phone' in early 2013.

Microsoft working on its own Windows Phone 8 smartphone? | Mobile content industry news | Mobile Entertainment

For those two reasons alone, I'm more inclined to wait it out a bit.

Anyone else feeling the same way, or is it just me???

Well, personally, I am waiting because my dad -- who is buying my Sprint Epic Touch 4G -- can't until the new year, and since that's the case I am waiting until my taxes come. (I'm using that money to buy out my contract to go to ATT). Now, if by that time MS shows some freaking amazing device with a better camera, wireless charging, better screen and bigger battery -- then I'll probably wait. If they don't, then the Lumia 920 for me. I know by Oct 2013 my phone will be out of date. Thus is the life of buying technology. However, considering my first "marketable" phone I bought (meaning it had a name, and not a model number) was the Samsung Upstage, and I bought it for $149. That phone had less features and wasn't even a smartphone, and the Lumia 920 is a smartphone, with loads more features, and it's the same price. I really don't think I will complain if MS or Nokia or Samsung or HTC releases an uber-phone for $199 or more (on contract).

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
OP, I know exactly how you feel. When HTC and Nokia announced their new devices, I was sure that I would use my upgrade (which is available now) on a WP8 device. As time goes by, I get less excited and interested in them though. I'd also like to wait a bit to see how WP8 plays out before committing to the platform. I may use my upgrade on the next Android Nexus device and just buy a second-gen WP8 device off contract when they're released. I do have high hopes for the platform and look forward to jumping in someday in the near-ish future. :)

The Nexus 4 is sold off contract. So go ahead and buy it, then get the next WP8 devices. It's really not a bad buy (the NExus 4).

A444

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have been holding off getting a new phone for a couple months waiting for WP8. I may break down and get an 8X but am more likely to pick up a Nexus 4 and wait for the next series of phones. The 920 interested me a lot but not nearly enough to switch to AT&T. I would switch to Sprint or a regional before I would go with AT&T.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
As much as it pains me I will wait a long time and may come into the WP 8 game late. I dont have the patience to go through the motions with Microsoft and the updates. For the amount of time everyone waited for WP 8. The phone should have very little problems, instead people can't wait for the features that should have been on the mobile OS already.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking the same thing. Isn't WP8 second generation?

Anyway, I waited for mango before I got my first windows phone. When I'm ready for a new phone I'll probably wait until the next big os release.

GEN 1: HD7, focus, LG, Dell venue pro Mozart, trophy

GEN 2: Radar, titan, titan 2, focus s, focus flash, lumia 710, lumia 800, lumia 900.

GEN 3: Lumia 920, ativ s, 8x, 8s, lumia 820

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
GEN 1: HD7, focus, LG, Dell venue pro Mozart, trophy

GEN 2: Radar, titan, titan 2, focus s, focus flash, lumia 710, lumia 800, lumia 900.

GEN 3: Lumia 920, ativ s, 8x, 8s, lumia 820

Wrong, different OS. What you call Gen 3 are the first generation of WP8.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a good spot really I can upgrade my device now if I want to. And when the second gen comes out hand that device to my wife and take her device and upgrade it for me. =)

slpaige

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm waiting until the 2nd Gen devices or next summer since that's the earliest I can upgrade. Hopefully some new devices will be announced earlier in the year next year.

GreekboyD

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I am simply bored with ios and android. The wp8 seems to be a good alternative to keep me occupied for a while. I will get a 920 as soon as possible. 2nd gen wp device or not will have to depend on the experience I get from the 920...

This is me exactly and the very reason I'm looking for a 1 year contract.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Wrong, different OS. What you call Gen 3 are the first generation of WP8.

Exactly. New phones are 3rd gen windows phone devices. But they are 1st gen WP8 devices. Both describe the same thing in a different way. I think describing them by OS device gen is more descriptive. Very hard to determine what a 1st gen wp is vs a 2nd gen. since phones came out between the originals and mango so which gen were they? Apple has 1st gen devices and 2nd gen devices. Their 1st gen is the new form. The 2nd gen is just the upgraded hardware and has usually has a letter after the number, or an extra letter in the case of the 3gs.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm probably going to skip this generation for the Surface phone or wait until some of these devices are cheap unlocked.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Skipping WP8 was unthinkable to me prior to today as I assumed I'd either have a Lumia 920 or know the exact date.

But with each passing day and my general happiness with the Lumia 900 as a free device from AT&T that's a serious upgrade from my HTC Arrive on Sprint.....I'm considering skipping for real.

Not out of any juvenile spite to Nokia, HTC, AT&T, Verizon or Microsoft for completely fumbling the launch of the 8X and Lumia 920 in America. But rather because those devices have been aging since they were announced months ago, and if I'm going to drop $149 on a phone, I want it to be on the state-of-the-art.

The Lumia 920 is losing that appeal with each passing day. The HTC 8X already lost it by being a repackaged version of the One X which was introduced in, what, March?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99