Anyone Going to Hold Out for 2nd Gen Devices?

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Given how 7.5 devices are not upgradeable to 8, MS should really consider working with carriers to provide early upgrades. Something tells me sales are going to be soft if they don't create an incentive for more current WP users to upgrade. I plan on waiting until the summer because my upgrade isn't available until then and none of the new devices seem worth buying at full price. If I could get one subsidized, however, I'd pull the trigger.

I bought a Lumia 900 and signed a contract in April and AT&T gave me $100 off through an early upgrade to buy a new 920 and I didn't have to extend my contract to do it, so I'll get an upgrade next year too (if I sign on for 2 more years)

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
To me, I really REALLY want Windows Phone 8 since way better apps will be coming (hopefully), but I will try to hold out for 7.8. I'm on Straight Talk with my Lumia 900, and I will be darned to switch to a contract where I pay $90+/month (after company discount) vs. $45/month for the same service (minus LTE). Add to that that I want to wait for a more powerful SOC. I'm fine with the dual core CPU, but the GPU (Adreno 225) is mad weak and not worth it to shell out full price for outdated hardware IMO (I'm a huge gamer on mobile phones). I pray that 7.8 won't take too long, but I know that won't be the case....

Now, if AT&T would work with me to where my pricing is the same as Straight Talk.....

There aren't even any games yet for Windows Phone that can do anything more with a faster graphics chipset so this is rather pointless.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
OS is still the same. Only kernel is different. Design philosophy and UI and vision hasn't changed.

Although the UI is entirely responsible for what many refer to as the "look and feel" of an operating system, it really has no bearing on how things actually work under the hood. End users tend to dramatically overemphasize it's role (although it certainly is an important role), as it's typically the only part of the OS they directly experience. Overall, the UI is an extremely small part of what makes an operating system "tick"... in terms of functionality as well as in terms of the effort required to "conjure" an OS into existence. In fact, many large and complex operating systems exist that have no user interface at all.

So, in truth, anyone at Microsoft would tell you the exact opposite, namely that WP8 is in fact an entirely new OS, with a thin amount of UI functionality (borrowed from WP7's UI design philosophy) layered on top of it.

Last edited:

jodahav

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
OP, I know exactly how you feel. When HTC and Nokia announced their new devices, I was sure that I would use my upgrade (which is available now) on a WP8 device. As time goes by, I get less excited and interested in them though. I'd also like to wait a bit to see how WP8 plays out before committing to the platform. I may use my upgrade on the next Android Nexus device and just buy a second-gen WP8 device off contract when they're released. I do have high hopes for the platform and look forward to jumping in someday in the near-ish future. :)
Makes sense to buy the nexus phone from the play store and use your upgrade on the WP device...

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have been on Android (VZW) and overdue for an upgrade. I was very excited by WP8 and looking forward to switching. I wanted the 920 but was disappointed when it was ATT only as ATT service in our area is lousy.

I looked at the 8x when it was released but don't really want a phone that is almost the size of a Galaxy SIII but has the screen of a much smaller phone; I am also not too excited about no expandable storage and only 16gb onboard.

So I switched my sights to the Odyssey in hopes it would be a VZW version of the Ativ-S and would have a larger screen, expandable storage etc. Now that turns out to be a 4" free phone.

So now I have to decide if I should wait to see what comes out after the first of the year in hopes we get some other high end WP8 phone like a 920 variant for VZW or go with another high end Android phone and look at WP8.x at my next upgrade.

frageelay

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Want to see what will be at CES in the windows phone variety. Wish Microsoft would put out their own phones and sale them unlocked. I can hope and dream. Waiting to pre-order the surface pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss