10-06-2012 06:15 AM
79 1234
tools
    it's not an android nexus, it's a motorola... it's two different situations
    So it's different because they choose a single oem to make their phone? No. Just because someone makes the phone for them doesn't make a difference. Its still competition for the rest of the oems that didn't get picked to create a nexus.
    10-02-2012 04:07 PM
    So it's different because they choose a single oem to make their phone? No. Just because someone makes the phone for them doesn't make a difference. Its still competition for the rest of the oems that didn't get picked to create a nexus.
    It would have sell more if it was made by Google, a lot of people don't even know that Motorola was bought by Google.
    10-02-2012 04:18 PM
    All the next gen Specs are gonna be good. most likely a new resolution and quad core. and bigger storage and much less limitations
    It would be silly to add a new resolution so soon. If they wanted to add 1080p they should have done it now so that developers wouldn't have to deal with unnecessary hassle again so soon
    10-02-2012 04:31 PM
    it's not an android nexus, it's a motorola... it's two different situations
    The Nexus was an HTC made device and the last two have been Sammy. I don't see how Microsoft making their own phone is any different.
    10-02-2012 04:33 PM
    Not worried here. Just another choice for consumers to choose from. Besides it'll add that kick in the butt to OEMs to push harder with their offerings, hopefully at least as hard as Nokia's been doing. It also raises the issue that MS probably wouldn't be pushing much app wise as say Nokia and hopefully HTC and Samsung will be.
    10-02-2012 05:03 PM
    It would be silly to add a new resolution so soon. If they wanted to add 1080p they should have done it now so that developers wouldn't have to deal with unnecessary hassle again so soon
    I doubt we have any idea what the kernel is written for. It may have 1080p capability but not being used at this point. As mentioned before, WP is vector based and can scale relatively easily.
    10-02-2012 05:04 PM
    dream scenario: Microsoft unveils a Surface phone when they do their WP8 launch and we find out that it was the reason behind much of their secrecy.

Anyway back on topic, I don't think most people would have guessed that MS was working on a Tablet (surface) so a handset isn't so far fetched.
    10-02-2012 05:31 PM
    If this phone is as good as the Surface tablet is ( slick, sexy, great materials, best of it's class, light,top of the line specs, innovative , sexy, sexy, sexy) then WOW.

Hype...levels...rising.
    snowmutt and andrewkim789 like this.
    10-02-2012 05:38 PM
    Why would ms buy Nokia? Nokia is not doing that great. There is no point to buy a potentially sinking ship. If Nokia goes down, ms doesn't have to care since they have other partners.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    Nokia was still making a 1.5 billion$ profit in it's latest Q and had the lead in smartphone sales before Elop announced they would adopt WP and kill Symbian. Oh and a 16 billion dollar bank account.

Now every other Nokia division is making profit except for smart devices...

edit:

Here are the smartphone sales in 2010. Elop annouced WP adoption in Q1/2011.

1 Nokia . . . . . . 100.3M . . . 34%
    2 RIM . . . . . . . . 48.0M . . . 16%
    3 Apple . . . . . . .47.5M . . . 16%
    4 HTC . . . . . . . 25.0M . . . . 8%
    5 Samsung . . . .24.0M . . . . 8%

MS should care since they sank Nokia. Well technically Nokia sunk themselves by choosing MS as a partner.
    Last edited by DungMasterFang; 10-02-2012 at 05:50 PM.
    EvanKr and suvastallions like this.
    10-02-2012 05:42 PM
    MS should care since they sank Nokia. Well technically Nokia sunk themselves by choosing MS as a partner.
    Are you suggesting that Nokia wasn't already on a downward trend?
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-02-2012 07:38 PM
    Nokia did nothing but sink themselves and let Apple / Samsung dominate. That same breakdown now will show Nokia, RIM, and HTC getting destroyed.

The latter three failed to innovate and got their lunches eaten, as they should have. You can't seriously believe Meego or Android would have saved Nokia.
    10-02-2012 07:43 PM
    Exactly. I remember people thinking the N9 was going to save Nokia. It was just a passing fad, after a while nobody wanted one.
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-02-2012 07:46 PM
    dream scenario: Microsoft unveils a Surface phone when they do their WP8 launch and we find out that it was the reason behind much of their secrecy.

Anyway back on topic, I don't think most people would have guessed that MS was working on a Tablet (surface) so a handset isn't so far fetched.
    Actually I was thinking of that. But then I think that is unlikely because all signs point to the fact that this will be coming out much later than the launch. But if they announce it that may dramatically shift sales away from their partners some of which are barely staying afloat.
    10-02-2012 07:52 PM
    If MS sells their supposedly coming phone in MS Stores, as is speculated, would they have carrier subsidies? Or would they be outright full priced? I'd be interested in one, but I go for carrier subsidies, so I wouldn't be as interested in a MS phone at full price.
    10-02-2012 11:33 PM
    Like palandri and thed, I ain't buying this. I have made this point before: The Smart phone industry is a whole different animal then the tablet industry. I know Microsoft COULD enter the fray, I just do not know WHY they would. Nokia is in much better position to push WP smart phones. They know how to do it. MS could have the Surface Phone produced and marketed so much better by them than by the MS software strong corporation.

What are they going to do... get the executives who pioneered the Kin line to offer suggestions??

Build the Tablets, that is a still developing market with tons of potential. Smart phones are a eat-your-young, established market that is very hard to get your product noticed. Nokia has a worldwide name. Use that.
    Vallos likes this.
    10-02-2012 11:44 PM
    I think that MS will likely fill a void that is not currently addressed by current OEMs. So it won't necessarily compete directly.

OEMs are making consumer focused phones. Nobody is making a phone targeted at business except for RIM.

If MS makes a good phone with a physical keyboard and great connectivity options with great security, then it would be embraced by the business community without necessarily directly competing against their OEMs.
    I really think this gets at the heart of the issue. By coming out with their own phone Microsoft is still able to assert control for a more refined product while still ensuring the OEMs have power. Especially consider the business/government oriented phone eco system. The average user is not going to care about a mono-chromatic, practical, "anal" secure phone. Wheras in the realm of business having a phone that is almost completely dedicated to security and integration with Microsoft Office and say networking systems, it could be a huge plus towards making the Windows Phone ecosystem extremely versatile and flexible for all types of users.

There could be say the "business windows phones" and the "consumer windows phones". The colors being widely embraced by both HTC and Nokia seem to support this possibility. Regardless of the outcome I think this is a smart and practical move by Microsoft to retain control but also still honor the freedom between them and their partners.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    10-02-2012 11:59 PM
    It also offers a solid small user base for testing new updates (like in Android). Give the update first to Surface phones, see if there's problems and if not, release the update to the rest of the devices. If there's a problem, fix it before releasing for others.
    10-03-2012 12:27 AM
    I think an MS branded phone is the backup plan in case Nokia wants out from their deal with Microsoft. It makes sense because there are rumors that Elop will be on his way out from Nokia, and the rest of the board may want to go with Android instead.

Something just doesn't seem right with Nokia and MS at the moment, especially after the HTC launch and now these rumors.

That's all just speculation on my part but worth a ponder.
    10-03-2012 12:46 AM
    Something had to have happened in the NOKIA/MS relationship for this to even be an options. Could be as simple as low sales and MS saying "Hey, consumers are buying your products so maybe somethings wrong and we can do better"

I think its a good backup plan as Nokia is having financial problems ( caused by S.Elop ) and I am not sure if MS buying Nokia is a good investment. I mean Nokia plans to layoff 13,000 by the end of 2013.

HTC still has 1 foot in/ 1 foot out in the Android World. Samsung is growing fat and content so I wouldn't expect much from them...so where would the innovation come from?
    And add to that, this:

Nokia rumored to be selling main headquarters in Espoo, Finland | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

Honestly, I am worried a bit. But I don't think a giant like Nokia will (should) fall like this. I've got some sweet memories of Nokia in my mind. My first phone was a Nokia, not a smartphone by any chance, but a nice cool and colourful 3310.
    Ah..good old days. Appless and coreless. Thanks Apple and Samsung, respectively, for ruining those days.
    Last edited by XENOPHOS; 10-03-2012 at 02:33 AM.
    snowmutt likes this.
    10-03-2012 02:28 AM
    Something had to have happened in the NOKIA/MS relationship for this to even be an options. Could be as simple as low sales and MS saying "Hey, consumers are buying your products so maybe somethings wrong and we can do better"

I think its a good backup plan as Nokia is having financial problems ( caused by S.Elop ) and I am not sure if MS buying Nokia is a good investment. I mean Nokia plans to layoff 13,000 by the end of 2013.

HTC still has 1 foot in/ 1 foot out in the Android World. Samsung is growing fat and content so I wouldn't expect much from them...so where would the innovation come from?
    Their financial status hasn't stopped Nokia from innovating with their PureView OIS has it? Or is the 920 that underwhelming that MS thought it so bad they had to step in and screw them twice, with HTC first then with their own phone?
    10-03-2012 06:30 AM
    By coming out with their own phone Microsoft is still able to assert control for a more refined product while still ensuring the OEMs have power
    I still don't get it.

Microsoft control the OS, and the chipsets. So there will be little or no difference in software and chipsets between Microsoft, and any other OEM.

Its not like Android where Google release the OS, and then the OEMs rip it apart and put their own front end, drivers, etc on it, leaving it vastly different from the OS that comes from Microsoft.

Only way i can see this working, is the "phone" isn't actually a phone, but a Skype device, so theres only a data connection, and all your calls are routed through Skype (like Google voice)
    10-03-2012 07:47 AM
    Are you suggesting that Nokia wasn't already on a downward trend?
    Well they did manage to set the world record of smartphones sold by a single company in the quarter before the WP announcement and were leading the phone world in device sold by quite a large margin. Symbian was obviously losing some of it's charm, but it's hard to look at it from a north american point of view where Symbian was non-existent.

Exactly. I remember people thinking the N9 was going to save Nokia. It was just a passing fad, after a while nobody wanted one.
    It sold quite well for a phone that was released in very limited markets only and not advertised. Actually both N9 and Lumia 800,710 were launched in q4/2011 and N9 outsold both Lumias combined 3.5x despite the fact that Elop told the media that N9 would be their first and last Meego phone
    andrelamont likes this.
    10-03-2012 02:35 PM
    wasn't this rumor posted by BGR? BGR is right about 0.3% of the time AND hates windows phone (well hates anything but the iphone)
    snowmutt and X0LARIUM like this.
    10-03-2012 03:40 PM
    Well they did manage to set the world record of smartphones sold by a single company in the quarter before the WP announcement and were leading the phone world in device sold by quite a large margin. Symbian was obviously losing some of it's charm, but it's hard to look at it from a north american point of view where Symbian was non-existent.

It sold quite well for a phone that was released in very limited markets only and not advertised. Actually both N9 and Lumia 800,710 were launched in q4/2011 and N9 outsold both Lumias combined 3.5x despite the fact that Elop told the media that N9 would be their first and last Meego phone
    Thats thing...hindsight being 20/20, Nokia was trending down but not like it was crushing as a matter of fact before Elop Q4/2010 they actually showed 7% growth. Q4 of 2009 they were generating 11.2B US dollar/quarter in revenue with a sad symbian/meego products
    10-03-2012 03:54 PM
    For me the big sticking point is that an MS phone wouldn't have Nokia's apps.
    10-03-2012 04:03 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD