Surface phone and its impact.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Until I see a Microsoft confirming the news, I will still buy a ATIV s or a Lumia 920, but I would be pissed off if a Surface phone comes out before next summer...(assuming that the specs are good)

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Until I see a Microsoft confirming the news, I will still buy a ATIV s or a Lumia 920, but I would be pissed off if a Surface phone comes out before next summer...(assuming that the specs are good)

All the next gen Specs are gonna be good. most likely a new resolution and quad core. and bigger storage and much less limitations

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
People. Google has done this before with the Nexus line and nobody moans about that. You shouldn't speculate their business relationship because they finally want to create hardware. Is having choices really this deep?

Since I have no choice but to wait, I will stay tuned to see how this turns out

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
People. Google has done this before with the Nexus line and nobody moans about that. You shouldn't speculate their business relationship because they finally want to create hardware. Is having choices really this deep?

Since I have no choice but to wait, I will stay tuned to see how this turns out
it's not an android nexus, it's a motorola... it's two different situations

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
We're literally months away from S4 Pro.

The current slew if WP8s are debuting at an inconvenient time. That is why HTC has completely refrained from releasing their "high end" WP8 offering.

So wait a couple of months, add 2 cores. This is kind of like Lumia 900 all over again. The current crop of WP8s will obsolete fast.

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
it's not an android nexus, it's a motorola... it's two different situations

So it's different because they choose a single oem to make their phone? No. Just because someone makes the phone for them doesn't make a difference. Its still competition for the rest of the oems that didn't get picked to create a nexus.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
So it's different because they choose a single oem to make their phone? No. Just because someone makes the phone for them doesn't make a difference. Its still competition for the rest of the oems that didn't get picked to create a nexus.
It would have sell more if it was made by Google, a lot of people don't even know that Motorola was bought by Google.

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
All the next gen Specs are gonna be good. most likely a new resolution and quad core. and bigger storage and much less limitations

It would be silly to add a new resolution so soon. If they wanted to add 1080p they should have done it now so that developers wouldn't have to deal with unnecessary hassle again so soon

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Not worried here. Just another choice for consumers to choose from. Besides it'll add that kick in the butt to OEMs to push harder with their offerings, hopefully at least as hard as Nokia's been doing. It also raises the issue that MS probably wouldn't be pushing much app wise as say Nokia and hopefully HTC and Samsung will be.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It would be silly to add a new resolution so soon. If they wanted to add 1080p they should have done it now so that developers wouldn't have to deal with unnecessary hassle again so soon

I doubt we have any idea what the kernel is written for. It may have 1080p capability but not being used at this point. As mentioned before, WP is vector based and can scale relatively easily.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
dream scenario: Microsoft unveils a Surface phone when they do their WP8 launch and we find out that it was the reason behind much of their secrecy.

Anyway back on topic, I don't think most people would have guessed that MS was working on a Tablet (surface) so a handset isn't so far fetched.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If this phone is as good as the Surface tablet is ( slick, sexy, great materials, best of it's class, light,top of the line specs, innovative , sexy, sexy, sexy) then WOW.

Hype...levels...rising.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Why would ms buy Nokia? Nokia is not doing that great. There is no point to buy a potentially sinking ship. If Nokia goes down, ms doesn't have to care since they have other partners.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

Nokia was still making a 1.5 billion$ profit in it's latest Q and had the lead in smartphone sales before Elop announced they would adopt WP and kill Symbian. Oh and a 16 billion dollar bank account.

stephen-elop-is-not-the-trojan-horse-of-microsoft-in-nokia.jpg

Now every other Nokia division is making profit except for smart devices...

edit:

Here are the smartphone sales in 2010. Elop annouced WP adoption in Q1/2011.

1 Nokia . . . . . . 100.3M . . . 34%
2 RIM . . . . . . . . 48.0M . . . 16%
3 Apple . . . . . . .47.5M . . . 16%
4 HTC . . . . . . . 25.0M . . . . 8%
5 Samsung . . . .24.0M . . . . 8%

MS should care since they sank Nokia. Well technically Nokia sunk themselves by choosing MS as a partner.

Last edited:

red grenadine

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Nokia did nothing but sink themselves and let Apple / Samsung dominate. That same breakdown now will show Nokia, RIM, and HTC getting destroyed.

The latter three failed to innovate and got their lunches eaten, as they should have. You can't seriously believe Meego or Android would have saved Nokia.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. I remember people thinking the N9 was going to save Nokia. It was just a passing fad, after a while nobody wanted one.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
dream scenario: Microsoft unveils a Surface phone when they do their WP8 launch and we find out that it was the reason behind much of their secrecy.

Anyway back on topic, I don't think most people would have guessed that MS was working on a Tablet (surface) so a handset isn't so far fetched.

Actually I was thinking of that. But then I think that is unlikely because all signs point to the fact that this will be coming out much later than the launch. But if they announce it that may dramatically shift sales away from their partners some of which are barely staying afloat.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
If MS sells their supposedly coming phone in MS Stores, as is speculated, would they have carrier subsidies? Or would they be outright full priced? I'd be interested in one, but I go for carrier subsidies, so I wouldn't be as interested in a MS phone at full price.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Like palandri and thed, I ain't buying this. I have made this point before: The Smart phone industry is a whole different animal then the tablet industry. I know Microsoft COULD enter the fray, I just do not know WHY they would. Nokia is in much better position to push WP smart phones. They know how to do it. MS could have the Surface Phone produced and marketed so much better by them than by the MS software strong corporation.

What are they going to do... get the executives who pioneered the Kin line to offer suggestions??

Build the Tablets, that is a still developing market with tons of potential. Smart phones are a eat-your-young, established market that is very hard to get your product noticed. Nokia has a worldwide name. Use that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb