Surface phone and its impact.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Thats the thing isn't it.

WP8 might not look that brilliant on its own, but if i can buy a game on my WP8, and i'm entitled to that game (without buying it again) on Tablet, PC & Console, it'll be a big step better than iOS.

Even better if all these apps use Skydrive to sync (as Microsoft have already shown), so i can just start stuff on one device, and keep moving and continuing on other devices. It would be even better, if i could have different versions of a game intercommunicating, so i have the phone, console and tablet versions, all slightly different, but using the same saved game files.

I can already do this sort of stuff with some apps (like Sky Wallet), but i want more of it.

It still has a ways to go.

My point is, this is the direction the industry is moving. Just think, 4 years ago you wouldn't have these expectations. But since things are moving to being a war of ecosystems, there are a bunch of new things you want from a future phone. Things that something not tied to a strong ecosystem could possibly do.

That's why MeeGo was going nowhere, and it was smart to use Windows Phone.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Nokia doesn't have a large patent portfolio. Neither does Motorola. Furthermore, these aren't even useful patents because they'remostly FRAND. The difference is Google had a nonexistent portfolio so it paid for Motorola.

Now Microsoft, on the other hand, has a huge patent portfolio. It's dictated the direction of computing for years and years. Benefits from Nokia's portfolio would be marginal/nonexistent.

That's why Apple doesn't hardball Microsoft like it goes after Android OEMs. Ut knows it cannot win.

Haha, you got to be kidding me...

Overall mobile patents:

1.Nokia !!!
2.Samsung
3.Alcatel-Lucent
4.Ericcson
5.Microsoft
6.IBM
7.Sony
8.NEC
9.Motorola
10.Qualcomm

OEMS:
"Nokia might be losing its overall device market share and its smartphone share is dropping like a rock but its patent portfolio is strong as ever. Samsung, Sony, NEC, and Motorola wrap up the top five listings."

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
OEMS:
"Nokia might be losing its overall device market share and its smartphone share is dropping like a rock but its patent portfolio is strong as ever. Samsung, Sony, NEC, and Motorola wrap up the top five listings."

Did you read your own list? NEC and Sony and Moto are not top 5.

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't like dabbling in speculation often, but my Spider Sense is tingling. Call me crazy, but I don't think the MSP (Microsoft Surface Phone) will run WP8.

Just a hunch, but I think when the MSP comes out sometime next year, it will be poised to steal BB10 thunder. We already know now what WP8 is about, no thunder there.

So Microsoft will do something new. It will run Windows 8 RT on the phone. Since Windows 8 can already emulate Windows Phone 8, all Windows Phone apps will run on the phone. However it will be Windows 8 RT that runs W8RT apps aswell. Couple this with similar hardware ports RT tablets have now, and you have yourself a game changer.

/Speculation

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
RT runs on basically the same hardware as WP so I see no reason to not be able to put RT on all phones upcoming.

Also, RT is not a game changer. Its the same as ipad OS vs iPhone OS. They are so very very close its hard to tell them apart. A few menu options and slight app appearance changes is all.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Did you read your own list? NEC and Sony and Moto are not top 5.

Did you read my post? It clearly states "overall mobile patents" before the list and "OEMs" before the quote.

Here is the OEM patent list:

1 Nokia
2 Samsung
3 Sony
4 NEC
5 Motorola
6 RIM
7 Siemens
8 LG
9 Fujitsu
10 Hitachi

Obviously Nokia has the largest patent portfolio of OEMs too.

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
That helps. Where does apple fall on that OEM list as they are the one doing most of the court battles.

I need to check Apple's ranking later, but it only has 1000+ mobile patents versus Nokia's 11 500+. Apple pays Nokia 10$ for every Iphone sold.

Edit: Apple mostly has superficial and design patents within the US patent system(which allows some ridiculous things) and many of it's patents could be invalidated by prior art.

Last edited:

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
They are very protective of their little 1000 app portfolio I guess.

$10 for every iphone? Wow, what patents of Nokia's does the iPhone use?

DungMasterFang

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
They are very protective of their little 1000 app portfolio I guess.

$10 for every iphone? Wow, what patents of Nokia's does the iPhone use?

Wireless data, speech coding, security, encryption, wiping gestures on a touchscreen(Yup, Nokia had touchscreen tech since the 90's),on-device application stores,multitasking, data synchronization, positioning, call quality,Bluetooth accessories, and so on.

Wiping gesture patent(a summary of it) by Nokia from 1996: (Apple tried to patent this in 2007 :blush:)

"A display driver suitable for use with touch sensitive displays, and responsive to a wiping motion across the touch sensitive display, is disclosed. Upon detecting a wiping motion across a touch sensitive display the display driver responds by displaying a subsequent page of information which is in sequential correspondence with the page of information displayed when the swipe motion was made. Criteria for determining whether or not a swipe or wiping motion is intended or not are disclosed, and there is provided a description of a flow chart for a method of operation suitable for implementation via a micro-processor. The touch sensitive displays may be used in hand held devices such as mobile telephones."

Nokia is the innovator of mobile devices. You can not make such device without using Nokia's IP.

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Nokia doesn't have a large patent portfolio. Neither does Motorola. Furthermore, these aren't even useful patents because they'remostly FRAND. The difference is Google had a nonexistent portfolio so it paid for Motorola.

Now Microsoft, on the other hand, has a huge patent portfolio. It's dictated the direction of computing for years and years. Benefits from Nokia's portfolio would be marginal/nonexistent.

That's why Apple doesn't hardball Microsoft like it goes after Android OEMs. Ut knows it cannot win.

Read something and try again, friend. Every smartphone on the planet uses Nokia patents.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
If the Surface phone does come to fruition what would prevent Nokia from being a/the mfg. partner? Nokia presumably has excess capacity and knows (high end) mobile hardware, and Microsoft presumably would be looking to compete with the iPhone. Sure - NOK wouldn't have the same margins as a proprietary phone, but I think at this point MSFT isn't looking for a highly profitable device, but instead a device that would drive adoption of the Windows Phone platform, so NOK could hopefully eek a moderate profit out of it. Just my $.02.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The Surface phone would need the whole keyboard thing. I am trying to convince my lass to go onto Windows Phone, but she DESPISES touch-screens. I could perhaps convince her with a keyboarded model, but a pure touch-screen slab like the Lumias? That is one way to go to an early grave...

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
It seems that Nokia makes more money from the Apple royalty payment than from the Lumia sales. So Nokia could collect some royalty from Microsoft phone as well on top of the license fee for Nokia Maps.
Nokia already collects a cool 1b from Microsoft per annum to remain friends.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss