Cyan is back! Its offical | AT&T will have 920 820

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Not much more to add
tweeted from @joebelfiore

It’s official: The Nokia Lumia 920 & 820 are coming to AT&T

You’re going to be able to get the Lumia 920 in-store in Red, Black and White, and through direct order (i.e., online) in Yellow and Cyan.

Guess it doesn't hurt to have Jessica Alba sporting cyan! Hey Nokia its your branding color, so run with it!
article-0-155635a4000005dc-62_468x674.jpg
article-2212563-15574d88000005dc-877_224x583.jpg

hmm what about matte gray? Is the cyan matte?

Last edited:

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but according to AT&T, it is exclusvie to them. If that's the case I hope they crash and burn. :) Here's hoping the ATIV comes to Verizon.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, but according to AT&T, it is exclusvie to them. If that's the case I hope they crash and burn. :) Here's hoping the ATIV comes to Verizon.

:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

WTH? Nokia sales were extremely low for the 900 so their plan B is to keep doing what they been doing? Verizon has 94.2 million subscribers, t-mobile has 33.168 million subscribers and the best plan/idea is to say nope, we don't wanna sale our products to you

There gotta be a quote somewhere where it says those who don't know their history are bound to repeat them SMH. I am an At&T subscriber but I know the best plan is to get these phone in as many hand and carriers as possible.

Its hard to sale something that customers can't see or PURCHASE!

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i think it is a given that the ATIV S is coming to Verizon, perhaps as an exclusive. Verizon and Samsung have been in bed a long time cause of android....and **** the Ativ S might just sell more than the 920 because of their size.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
:shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

WTH? Nokia sales were extremely low for the 900 so their plan B is to keep doing what they been doing? Verizon has 94.2 million subscribers, t-mobile has 33.168 million subscribers and the best plan/idea is to say nope, we don't wanna sale our products to you

There gotta be a quote somewhere where it says those who don't know their history are bound to repeat them SMH. I am an At&T subscriber but I know the best plan is to get these phone in as many hand and carriers as possible.

Its hard to sale something that customers can't see or PURCHASE!

Nokia actually sees their US sales as encouraging. They liked what happened with AT&T promoting the Lumia 900. Remember, they're coming from the perspective of re-entering a market that they were largely non-existant in. Mindshare becomes even more important than actual units sold. (not that units sold aren't important) AT&T and T-Mobile created mindshare for the Lumia series through strong marketing campaigns.

They were more disappointed with European sales.

Even though in pure numbers, Europe did much more, Nokia felt that it should have been signifcantly higher.

There also was a lot of stuff going on behind the scenes that we're not privy to. Negotiations that didn't go as well as they'd like.

They saw that non-exclusivity made it difficult to get carriers to promote their products. And for carriers, it makes sense to spend your marketing dollars promoting products that you can't but at your competitor's shop.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
They saw that non-exclusivity made it difficult to get carriers to promote their products. And for carriers, it makes sense to spend your marketing dollars promoting products that you can't but at your competitor's shop.

And I also want to add, just because VZW has more subscribers what guarantee is there that more of those subscribers would get the 920 in the first place? Worst thing that could happen is that VZW gets it and do what they did with the Trophy, put in in the back of the store and tell people "WP is crap". At&t has shown with the 900 they are willing to promote it, now all that remains is to see if WP8 can match up to the hardware and make it truly competitive. Then they'll have no problem moving units.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
From what what was said earlier was that there will be a Nokia 922 or something like that for the Verizon folks. It will be the 920 just with CDMA chips instead. I don't think it will be for the launch, but it might be early next year at least.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
And I also want to add, just because VZW has more subscribers what guarantee is there that more of those subscribers would get the 920 in the first place? Worst thing that could happen is that VZW gets it and do what they did with the Trophy, put in in the back of the store and tell people "WP is crap". At&t has shown with the 900 they are willing to promote it, now all that remains is to see if WP8 can match up to the hardware and make it truly competitive. Then they'll have no problem moving units.
Who says Verizon won't promote it? AT&T promoted it because Nokia/MS paid them a ton of money. They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Verizon has shown with the 8X (and probably the ATIV) that they are willing to carry WP8, so that can't be the issue.

Also, Verizon pushes all the updates out to the Trophy, unlike AT&T, who if I'm not mistaken still has not released the Tango update.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
From what what was said earlier was that there will be a Nokia 922 or something like that for the Verizon folks. It will be the 920 just with CDMA chips instead. I don't think it will be for the launch, but it might be early next year at least.

If they are going to go through the effort of redesigning the inside of the phone they might as well make a new product line for Verizon and give them (cough) exclusive right to this new 9X0 phone...problem solved.

Sorry for showing emotions early as I just want NOKIA to do well with the sales...and as a side effect WP8 doing well.

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

The bigger question is: why is anybody still using CDMA?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Who says Verizon won't promote it? AT&T promoted it because Nokia/MS paid them a ton of money. They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. Verizon has shown with the 8X (and probably the ATIV) that they are willing to carry WP8, so that can't be the issue.

Also, Verizon pushes all the updates out to the Trophy, unlike AT&T, who if I'm not mistaken still has not released the Tango update.

As you stated, "They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts."

Carriers likely want something unique about the little known phone they are offering in order to pour their own marketing dollars into it. The biggest unique thing that can help in negotiating with a carrier is exclusivity. With exclusivity, a carrier may agree to pour quite a bit into increasing the mindshare of your product because they know that in order to get that product you have to go to that particular carrier.

You don't really get the real benefits of being available on multiple carriers until AFTER you already have a significant mindshare.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Seriously? Verizon's CDMA network is by far the best network in the United States. Nothing comes close to their 3G coverage. Obviously not as many options globally as GSM there are still plenty of CDMA countries out there.

Countries Where Any Verizon Wireless Phone Will Work

It's not "the best" because it's CDMA. It's because they've built more infrastructure to support their network. But CDMA has the limitation of not being able to use voice and data simultaneously.

LTE is a GSM based technology that will be replacing this over time.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
CDMA is used by many local carriers as well. More than I thought.

The inside of the phone is not redesigned, its an antenna change. Soc has CDMA modem in it so just need the hardware.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
CDMA is used by many local carriers as well. More than I thought.

The inside of the phone is not redesigned, its an antenna change. Soc has CDMA modem in it so just need the hardware.

Most local carriers use Sprint's spectrum. So they have to use CDMA.

What many people don't know is that Sprint has far more spectrum that both Verizon and AT&T.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

I cant comment on who got paid since I was not part of that discussion. But claiming at&t only promoted the 900 because they were paid makes no differene because Verizon would be the same way. Either way, Verizon carrying a phone doesnt mean they will be behind it. Dont forget they claimed they wanted WP only if it had LTE yet they didnt carry the 900 or Titan II even though both had it. So being at&t exclusive really isnt surprising.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It's not "the best" because it's CDMA. It's because they've built more infrastructure to support their network. But CDMA has the limitation of not being able to use voice and data simultaneously.

LTE is a GSM based technology that will be replacing this over time.

Simultaneous voice and data over 3G has been around since the Blunderbolt launched. My GS3 also does it. I don't think every phone has it, it is up to the device maker to include it. That feature plus their coverage makes CDMA the best. :) :) Well, until I finally get LTE hopefully by the end of the year.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hahahaha AT&T exclusive? Oooh I better start making that embarrasing Sig so Big Supes, I might win the bet.

But yeah, wasn't verizon looking to get all three big Windows Phones?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb