The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
10-20-2012 01:41 PM
72 123
tools
    No, but I'm pretty certain VZW will be getting the 920 or a variation of it.

I've said before, but my source at VZW had said in the past that AT&T will get a 30 day exclusive window with Nokia. VZW is likely to launch the 920 on Black Friday.

The HTC 8X will be the flagship phone for VZW in the first month alongside the ATIV S, the 8S, and possibly a variation of the 820.

But I'm pretty sure that both Nokia phones will be on VZW by December.
    YES!!! that's right!!!!
    10-04-2012 04:15 PM

I've said before, but my source at VZW had said in the past that AT&T will get a 30 day exclusive window with Nokia. VZW is likely to launch the 920 on Black Friday.

The HTC 8X will be the flagship phone for VZW in the first month alongside the ATIV S, the 8S, and possibly a variation of the 820.

What does your source at VZW do? Not trying to troll, but your source being a sales rep vs. working at VZW headquarters vs. a VZW call center makes a big difference as to what info they would have access to.
    10-04-2012 04:24 PM
    What does your source at VZW do? Not trying to troll, but your source being a sales rep vs. working at VZW headquarters vs. a VZW call center makes a big difference as to what info they would have access to.
    Corporate contracts. Negotiates contracts and deployment for larger Verizon customers like Clearchannel, etc. He knows where Verizon is going because he's kept in the loop to prepare his big customers.

They currently are working on a large program to get corporate purchasing and discounting (for BYOD stuff) moved over the WP8 next year. Verizon wants to get business off of iPhone and Android as both cost them a lot of extra money compared to what they believe WP8 will cost.

He nailed the Droid marketing from a few years ago and has said that VZW will do something even bigger for Windows Phone to end the year and begin next year.

He also told me about the LTE lineup last year, the reasons why the Bionic, for instance, took so long to hit and the issues behind the LTE chipset that had problems reseting. He has also said the VZW has been prepping for the WP8 launch for two years and I've seen the memos to back that up.

You can trust me or not, but my source at VZW has helped me a lot over the years (and gotten me plenty of free goodies).

Nokia wanted to reward AT&T for their support earlier this year when the other carriers wanted to just wait until WP8. AT&T was willing to carry the Lumia 900 even though they knew it would not be upgradeable. Getting the 920 first is a thank you to them. Those that "gotta have it" will jump to AT&T.

But expect a HUGE Black Friday Windows Phone push from Verizon with some crazy prices for those who want to go to a VZW store on that day, including early contract discounts and incentives to trade in iPhones and Android devices.
    clavecinist, thed and Mr.Nuron like this.
    10-04-2012 04:36 PM

That's good to hear. Hopefully your source knows what (s)he is talking about. I'll probably wait until December, but if there's no 920 on Verizon at that point then I'm going HTC or Samsung.
    10-04-2012 04:36 PM
    I trust Mr. MacPhisto, so I'm happy to hear his input.
    10-04-2012 04:43 PM
    Hope he's right. Would be a shame to go back to Android.
    10-04-2012 04:46 PM
    Just got info that Verizon will not likely get the 920 but a variation of it with a different number like the 820. I guess the frequencies between the two will be different. May be to prevent people from jumping between carriers with the phone - no idea.

Still hearing that Nokia will be a Black Friday launch for Verizon while HTC and Samsung will be early November. The 8S will be the value phone for the holidays. Might be $49 with a two year contract. The 8X and ATIV S will come in at $199 if the current plan holds ($249 for 32GB on the Samsung).

The current plan calls for the Nokia 822 to launch at $99 and the 92(2?) to launch at $249 due to the 32GB of storage.

BUT expect those prices to be lower for Black Friday possibly through to Cyber Monday online.

The HTC 8S may see its price halved to about $25 with a contract. The 822 may drop to $50. The 16GB 8X and ATIV S down to $149 and the 32GB 92(2?) and ATIV S down to $199.

Those within six months of a VZW contract expiration may be made able to upgrade to WP8 devices with the special pricing that weekend and there will be a sale on accessories for those phones as well (big money maker for VZW).

That's the info I have right now. My guess is AT&T will do something similar, but that's a guess. Regardless, it may be smart to wait until Thanksgiving here in the States to make a decision on what to do. That's what I'll do.
    scottcraft, thed and clavecinist like this.
    10-04-2012 04:59 PM
    Wow MacPhisto, you are really delivering today! That's some juicy news there, thanks for the info!

I'll definitely be waiting until Thanksgiving.
    10-04-2012 05:05 PM
    Are off contract phones released the same day? Gotta keep that unlimited data.
    10-04-2012 05:24 PM
    The question in my mind is... how many more people out there will "wait" for Windows Phone?

Think about the general market.

So far this year, people have heard "Wait for Mango!"

Then "wait for Lumia 900!"

Then "wait for Apollo!"

Now we hear "wait for the official announcement."

Then "wait for carrier availability."

Now, "wait for the phone you want on your carrier."

Every single wait involves a decision point, and there are plenty of large competitors in other ecosystems with compelling devices willing to sing a siren song to convert existing WP users... as well as snatch up all the non-WP users with money to spend today who cannot get the Windows Phone they want, on their terms.

Rule #1 of business is "make it easy for people to do business with you." Telling customers to "have patience, wait a little longer" violates that rule, especially when there are other companies saying "look at all the good stuff we have today! The water's warm, hop in!"

I know a lot of people who want a Lumia 920 on Verizon or T-Mo, and they're not willing to wait or switch to AT&T... instead, they're considering either the HTC option (in a minority of cases) or the Galaxy S III/Note II option (in a majority of cases). In either situation, Nokia loses out... which is why this coy strategy is so silly. They're likely missing out on hundreds of thousands or millions of sales that will take another 24-month contract cycle to get access to again.
    Winterfang and steve_w_7 like this.
    10-04-2012 05:28 PM
    NO. AT&T coverage sucks in southern Oregon, as it does in most places outside of major metro areas. Plus they're expensive.

Nokia is now dead to me. If they won't offer any Lumia models off AT&T, they won't get my business, period.
    10-04-2012 05:30 PM
    Perfect.

MacPhisto outlines a rollout strategy from Verizon -complete with dates and devices. And it sounds like a fairly reliable source to boot. I'm willing to give the benefit of a doubt here.

Now Miller comes in right on cue, and starts his usual whine about how there are no dates, no pricing - even though the exact thing you are whining about has been addressed.

Honest to God, someone could provide a notarized document stating which carrier will get which device on this date and you'd still complain. For God's sake just get an S3 and be done with it already. Clearly, no Windows device will ease your pain so go with something that will make you happy.
    cckgz4 likes this.
    10-04-2012 05:50 PM
    I can already imagine the Microsoft and Nokia conversations.

Balmer: So Nokia, what do you have for Windows Phone?

Elop: Well we improved the specs but kept the same design.

Balmer: That sounds enough for us, You will be the face of Windows Phone yet again, lets put this baby in all carriers.

Elop: Well actually, we will be on AT&T only.

Balmer:You are kidding right? Do you at least have a low end device for Tmobile like before?

Elop: Yeah we have a low end also.

Balmer: Good.

Elop: Is AT&T exclusive though.

Balmer: Well that's...great Nokia. Really great. I'll be going now.

*Later that day*

Balmer: Hey HTC! Here's a Billion dollars. Make a phone like the lumias and have it on all carriers, let's say by November kay?

HTC: $__$
    10-04-2012 05:57 PM
    Corporate contracts. Negotiates contracts and deployment for larger Verizon customers like Clearchannel, etc. He knows where Verizon is going because he's kept in the loop to prepare his big customers.

They currently are working on a large program to get corporate purchasing and discounting (for BYOD stuff) moved over the WP8 next year. Verizon wants to get business off of iPhone and Android as both cost them a lot of extra money compared to what they believe WP8 will cost.

He nailed the Droid marketing from a few years ago and has said that VZW will do something even bigger for Windows Phone to end the year and begin next year.

He also told me about the LTE lineup last year, the reasons why the Bionic, for instance, took so long to hit and the issues behind the LTE chipset that had problems reseting. He has also said the VZW has been prepping for the WP8 launch for two years and I've seen the memos to back that up.

You can trust me or not, but my source at VZW has helped me a lot over the years (and gotten me plenty of free goodies).

Nokia wanted to reward AT&T for their support earlier this year when the other carriers wanted to just wait until WP8. AT&T was willing to carry the Lumia 900 even though they knew it would not be upgradeable. Getting the 920 first is a thank you to them. Those that "gotta have it" will jump to AT&T.

But expect a HUGE Black Friday Windows Phone push from Verizon with some crazy prices for those who want to go to a VZW store on that day, including early contract discounts and incentives to trade in iPhones and Android devices.
    That is cool, and I do believe you. Thats why I asked. Had your answer been "Oh, its my cousin Bob down at their call center/retail store", their input would have had much less (i.e. none) value. However, someone who negotiates corperate contracts with a proven tip track record is a different story.

I think the different number makes sense. They may even tweak a few minor features, slap the name 922 on it, AT&T can still advert the 920 as "exclusivly on AT&T" yet Verizon gets in on the high end action as well.

What I really don't understand is T-Mo getting screwed on the low end device. They have really been a friend of Windows Phone, especially the Lumia 710, even pushing it as one of the best options for their Monthly 4G prepaid plans.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    10-04-2012 06:06 PM
    Perfect.

MacPhisto outlines a rollout strategy from Verizon -complete with dates and devices. And it sounds like a fairly reliable source to boot.
    So rumors are now news? Wonderful!

Now Miller comes in right on cue, and starts his usual whine about how there are no dates, no pricing - even though the exact thing you are whining about has been addressed.
    Yes. Sorta like how T-Mobile was getting the Lumia 910 in March of 2012. And how T-Mobile was getting the HTC OneX+ starting in late September.

Before that, HP was releasing the Pre II on AT&T and T-Mobile in 2010... and the Pre 3 on every major carrier in August of 2011.

All those release dates were met right on schedule (not).

Honest to God, someone could provide a notarized document stating which carrier will get which device on this date and you'd still complain. For God's sake just get an S3 and be done with it already. Clearly, no Windows device will ease your pain so go with something that will make you happy.
    It's just this attitude that, if it continues institutionally, will ensure Windows Phone will fail. In a competitive market, most people who want actual dates, times, devices and easy availability will "shut the **** up and go elsewhere with their whining."

Then YOU will come in and whine with questions like:

1) Why isn't my bank making an app for Windows Phone?

2) Why the heck isn't my favorite web site rendering right on Windows Phone?

3) My carrier keeps steering people away from Windows Phone and to Android/iOS... why?

4) How come I cannot get a Windows Phone at my local carrier store and have to order it from their web site?

5) How come Gmail doesn't work with my phone after the latest update? Why isn't Google moving to fix it?

6) How come Facebook's latest feature update still isn't out for my phone, eight months after it was announced?

7) Where are all of you? Why aren't any of you posting anymore? Hello?
    Last edited by brmiller1976; 10-04-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    10-04-2012 07:04 PM
    That is cool, and I do believe you. Thats why I asked. Had your answer been "Oh, its my cousin Bob down at their call center/retail store", their input would have had much less (i.e. none) value. However, someone who negotiates corperate contracts with a proven tip track record is a different story.

I think the different number makes sense. They may even tweak a few minor features, slap the name 922 on it, AT&T can still advert the 920 as "exclusivly on AT&T" yet Verizon gets in on the high end action as well.

What I really don't understand is T-Mo getting screwed on the low end device. They have really been a friend of Windows Phone, especially the Lumia 710, even pushing it as one of the best options for their Monthly 4G prepaid plans.
    I have to wonder if the T-Mobile strategy will be rethought with the Metro stuff. The big thing about that is it gives T-Mobile spectrum for their LTE rollout and bits of an already active LTE network.

I have a feeling that the phones will hit T-Mobile, but that AT&T will end up with an exclusive Nokia window at launch which is what VZW has basically said.

Now, my guess is that AT&T thinks that the Nokia phones, especially the 920, are flagship devices and I think they will aggressively push that the 920 is the best phone on the market (and I would agree with this assessment based on what I've seen here and elsewhere). So they will hope that those who see the MS launch event stuff online and have to have one will switch over.

Do not expect Verizon to trumpet the Nokias until after launch week. I'd guess the same thing goes for T-Mobile. VZW is getting a kickback for its silence - and I'd guess (be sure to see that when I say "guess" it is my own conjecture, nothing from a source here) that AT&T is giving something to Nokia to get the exclusive window.

What I do know is that Verizon is also giving something to get it. They want it badly. A bunch of the corporate people were given a demonstration of the Lumia 920 by Nokia and they were apparently blown away by it. My source was not there to see it, but his boss was and the word was the VZW people felt this phone could be a game changer if marketed correctly between the NFC, wireless charging, the camera tech on it, and the mapping. Nokia showed them the JBL wireless charging speaker system too. Expect those to be in Verizon stores (betcha AT&T will carry them too).

VZW's excited. Despite issues with Android, they are glad it has grown. They love the WP8 experience and potential. Above all, they are hoping for Android and WP8 to together dwarf iOS. They HATE Apple. Apple has been trying to use threats with the iPhone to try and force Verizon to pay them or AppleTV settop boxes on FiOS.

I'd guess AT&T is getting similar threats over U-Verse.

Windows Phone is an out. Microsoft has been very good to Verizon. FiOS already has some Xbox capability and with VZW and Verizon working together more and more (the Vodaphone shares of VZW have caused some issues in the past) that will likely expand with some functionality built into Smartglass. But the relationship has been a good one and Microsoft has been a partner that is concerned about Verizon being profitable on their end. In short, they have not been demanding like Apple has been.

VZW is very interested in doing as much damage to iOS as possible. Until iPhone becomes just a phone like everything else, they won't be happy.

Another guess, but I'd bet AT&T and T-Mobile are in the same place. Only Sprint is not there because of their crazy up front payment, but Sprint is very poorly run right now.
    lancguy likes this.
    10-04-2012 07:25 PM
    Sprint has also been burnt by "alternative OSes" several times in the past.

They lost bucketloads on the Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre. Management is probably pushing for "known quantities" as a result.

Plus, the Arrive had a very high return rate. While it's unfair to judge WP on just one device, the Arrive wasn't exactly setting the world on fire, and adding several other handsets to the mix wouldn't have been economical.
    10-04-2012 07:50 PM
    No way not for the any device the bottom line is the $$$ every month.NO sorry Nokia. I'll get the 8x
    Winterfang likes this.
    10-04-2012 07:51 PM
    I can't believe Nokia had the balls to ask people to wait and send comparison charts to other phones. Then don't have it on every carrier.

Hey Nokia this isn't Europe. People won't just buy the phone in full and use it on any carrier they want.
    10-04-2012 07:54 PM
    Sprint is their own worst enemy. Not everything is their fault but most is self inflicted. My wife has an arrive and it's been great. But being gun shy from before they had a quick trigger, even though the users love it and it's reviewed great. I've had them for 14 years with really no complaints service wise. But it's fact they aren't even thinking about a WP8 right now and messages once a week to buy an iphone that has me leaving.
    10-04-2012 07:57 PM
    Sprint worked hard to convert early Android users, and the Metro UI was too different for them... hence a flood of returns.

They also had a terrible pricing strategy for the Arrive... initial price out the gate was $299 on contract! And it didn't have WiMax when Sprint was pushing everyone to WiMax.
    10-04-2012 08:01 PM
    Like I said, a lot is self inflicted. Though I will say when we bought my wife's arrive. They were very nice in the store and said they didn't have any. Didn't try to sell us anything else and said if she bought one online they would transfer her contacts and set it up for her. I asked the guy any news on wP8 and he said no, but said he wish they would say something, he'd like to see it and try it. Not the usual response from a salesperson about WP at all.
    brmiller1976 likes this.
    10-04-2012 08:05 PM
    That's good to hear. Hopefully your source knows what (s)he is talking about. I'll probably wait until December, but if there's no 920 on Verizon at that point then I'm going HTC or Samsung.
    That almost makes sense. I would not be shocked if this was part of the original Lumia 900 deal where AT&T said they would carry a soon to be obsolesced device if they also get first rights to the successor.
    10-04-2012 09:18 PM
    I've been a att user since it was known as cingular and prior to that known as pacbell.
    10-04-2012 09:21 PM
    I am very happy that it is comeing to AT&T since that is who I have, but for everyone else.... I do wish the 920 wasn't exclusive. I think in the long run this will also effect total overall sales or potential sales and market share. I think that Nokia needs to look this over and re-evaluate this.
    10-06-2012 07:31 PM
72 123