10-20-2012 02:41 PM
72 123
tools
    I'd never ever switch to AT&T. I don't care if they have the entire WP line exclusive or not, I would simply not go to AT&T. The service is terrible, their rates are just horrible, and their customer service is based on "Screw the Customer". I had them once, and had such a bad experience with them I will never ever go back. T-Mobile has been good to me, but I'm tired of ify coverage and poor selection of devices. I'm happy to go with Verizon, but they need to get all the flag ship devices before the end of the year to make it worth my while.
    10-06-2012 09:42 PM
    Just got info that Verizon will not likely get the 920 but a variation of it with a different number like the 820. I guess the frequencies between the two will be different. May be to prevent people from jumping between carriers with the phone - no idea.

Still hearing that Nokia will be a Black Friday launch for Verizon while HTC and Samsung will be early November. The 8S will be the value phone for the holidays. Might be $49 with a two year contract. The 8X and ATIV S will come in at $199 if the current plan holds ($249 for 32GB on the Samsung).

The current plan calls for the Nokia 822 to launch at $99 and the 92(2?) to launch at $249 due to the 32GB of storage.

BUT expect those prices to be lower for Black Friday possibly through to Cyber Monday online.

The HTC 8S may see its price halved to about $25 with a contract. The 822 may drop to $50. The 16GB 8X and ATIV S down to $149 and the 32GB 92(2?) and ATIV S down to $199.

Those within six months of a VZW contract expiration may be made able to upgrade to WP8 devices with the special pricing that weekend and there will be a sale on accessories for those phones as well (big money maker for VZW).

That's the info I have right now. My guess is AT&T will do something similar, but that's a guess. Regardless, it may be smart to wait until Thanksgiving here in the States to make a decision on what to do. That's what I'll do.
    That makes me feel so much better now. My contract is up in November for T-Mobile and I can keep my pricing without renewing until I switch over. My deadline was always the end of the year when the special offer with my company ends. I can wait until black Friday it gives me more time to save up for the phone, charging pad, and JBL speaker I want. And if they don't get the 920(2) then I can still switch to the 8x and get the same deal.

I trust the information because it makes total sense with the push towards WP. And the information I got from an in-store salesmen gives me hope, she thought they would have a Nokia phone, but didn't know which one.
    10-06-2012 09:58 PM
    That is cool, and I do believe you. Thats why I asked. Had your answer been "Oh, its my cousin Bob down at their call center/retail store", their input would have had much less (i.e. none) value. However, someone who negotiates corperate contracts with a proven tip track record is a different story.

I think the different number makes sense. They may even tweak a few minor features, slap the name 922 on it, AT&T can still advert the 920 as "exclusivly on AT&T" yet Verizon gets in on the high end action as well.

What I really don't understand is T-Mo getting screwed on the low end device. They have really been a friend of Windows Phone, especially the Lumia 710, even pushing it as one of the best options for their Monthly 4G prepaid plans.
    T-Mo can't afford to get the high end devices. From the looks of it, Nokia phones are charging a premium. $600-$700 off contract and that's a lot of money for T-Mo to subsidize. They don't even have any version of the iPhone and the only high end Droid that they have is the Galaxy SIII. They specialize in mid and low end phones that matches their plans and customer base. Their recent merger announcement doesn't bode well either for getting high end devices. They will end up being one of the largest non-contract providers in the nation.
    Last edited by lancguy; 10-06-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    10-06-2012 10:05 PM
    AT&T made windows phone what it is, if it wasent for them I dont know if we would have made it to this point. They were the mayjor phone company to pust WP7 when it came it, and thx goodness it pay off, and is now is the 3rd largest phone OS. Remember that all. I have AT&T for years now, I dont think I ever had one dropped call. They are not bad at all for the most part.
    PappesHartley likes this.
    10-06-2012 10:47 PM
    Perfect.

MacPhisto outlines a rollout strategy from Verizon -complete with dates and devices. And it sounds like a fairly reliable source to boot. I'm willing to give the benefit of a doubt here.

Now Miller comes in right on cue, and starts his usual whine about how there are no dates, no pricing - even though the exact thing you are whining about has been addressed.

Honest to God, someone could provide a notarized document stating which carrier will get which device on this date and you'd still complain. For God's sake just get an S3 and be done with it already. Clearly, no Windows device will ease your pain so go with something that will make you happy.
    Bingo. And what's even more hilarious is that they feel that they are doing this ranting for the SAKE of windows phone.

Anyhow, I'm on AT&T and I'm not getting the 920
    10-07-2012 01:26 AM
    I switched to AT&T 3+ years ago because I decided I wanted to have access to good phones. Though the coverage in my area is pretty much equal. If I lived somewhere with poor ATT coverage I could see why this would suck. Verizon has equally ****ty data plans now so that's also a wash.

I'd never ever switch to AT&T. I don't care if they have the entire WP line exclusive or not, I would simply not go to AT&T. The service is terrible, their rates are just horrible, and their customer service is based on "Screw the Customer". I had them once, and had such a bad experience with them I will never ever go back. T-Mobile has been good to me, but I'm tired of ify coverage and poor selection of devices. I'm happy to go with Verizon, but they need to get all the flag ship devices before the end of the year to make it worth my while.
    See, you are on the other side. I was with Verizon, they tried to **** me over with their horrible plans and customer service, so I left for AT&T.
    10-07-2012 01:51 AM
    Honestly, when you look at the plans for both AT&T and Verizon, they run about the same. Especially their Everything Share plans.

It's gonna be a tough call for me. I really want the Lumia 920, but I am a T-Mobile user. I'm not sure how fast T-Mobile is gonna be in re-speccing their 3G network, and how fast they are gonna be with rolling out their LTE. On top of that, it would mean buying the phone outright. My contract ends in February, but it will be interesting to see where they are at that point by the time things settle down.

Otherwise, I am headed to Verizon.
    10-07-2012 02:25 AM
    I have equal coverage on AT&T and VZW (T-Mobile and Sprint aren't good here). However, I have a FAN discount from AT&T, so that is the deciding factor.
    10-07-2012 02:31 AM
    Yes i am switching from Sprint to ATT.
    10-07-2012 06:47 AM
    Actually ATT reminds me of Rogers up here. Rogers customer service stinks to high heaven and I've had bad reception in the past so it will be a quarter past never when I'll get on board with them again. Also they are the 920 exclusive here and sounds like they are getting the Ativ and 8X as well.

That doesn't leave much for the other carriers - the trend is the Ativ will be available everywhere. As much as I find Samsung's devices uninspiring, you gotta love how they can bring their products to market.
    10-07-2012 09:48 AM
    AT&T made windows phone what it is, if it wasent for them I dont know if we would have made it to this point. They were the mayjor phone company to pust WP7 when it came it, and thx goodness it pay off, and is now is the 3rd largest phone OS. Remember that all. I have AT&T for years now, I dont think I ever had one dropped call. They are not bad at all for the most part.
    Not one dropped call in years? Really?
    I've been on AT&T for 4 years and Ive gotten plenty of dropped calls and I've lived in fairly urbanized areas (outskirts of Milwaukee and Las Vegas)

Maybe it's because my only 2 phones have been Samsung? Haha.
    10-07-2012 02:22 PM
    T-Mo can't afford to get the high end devices. From the looks of it, Nokia phones are charging a premium. $600-$700 off contract and that's a lot of money for T-Mo to subsidize. They don't even have any version of the iPhone and the only high end Droid that they have is the Galaxy SIII. They specialize in mid and low end phones that matches their plans and customer base. Their recent merger announcement doesn't bode well either for getting high end devices. They will end up being one of the largest non-contract providers in the nation.
    Considering Tmobile just announced that the Galaxy S3 was thier best selling phone ever, I would bet that will change things.
    10-07-2012 03:46 PM
    I've created a Facebook page so that hopefully we can all coordinate or frustration in hopes that our discontent and excitement for this phone doesn't go unnoticed. Check it out if you get the chance:

Lumia 920 on Verizon | Facebook

I know it wont change anything but at least we can show Nokia and Verizon that we want this phone enough for them to do whatever is necessary to make some sort of deal in the future.
    10-07-2012 05:01 PM
    10-07-2012 06:10 PM
    Any mobile carrier that wants it just needs to have the right amount of money to make Nokia make it happen!
    10-07-2012 11:11 PM
    I am considering switching. My friend has a iPhone 4S on AT&T and be gets a much better signal anywhere we go than I do with my Trophy on Verizon. Plus AT&T seems to be the only carrier that 100% supports WP. If they didn't have a good signal there is no way I would switch but since they actually have better service I see no reason not to switch.
    10-07-2012 11:27 PM
    If Apple and its large coffers and army of lawyers couldn't get out of their agreement with AT&T what makes you think Nokia can?

I think at this point the best anyone can do is hope its a short one or go with an HTC phone they aren't that bad.
    10-08-2012 09:26 AM
    HEK NO! I will never pay those crooks any money ever again!
    10-08-2012 09:56 AM
    I came here through a link from this forum https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/882524 and I have to say that I appreciate the info here. I noticed that someone else posted a link just above for a petition that they found.

I'd like to share a poll that I created: VerizonWP7 > Home

I spoke with an Executive Assistant from Verizon's Southeast Region offices in Alpharetta, GA, about 45 minutes from me, this morning, and told her about the poll, and told her that it only had about 500 responses at that point, though I realize that to Verizon that's a small number, I'm a nobody with no name recognition and no way to get it out other than twitter, and she stopped me right there and said that no, 500 voices is a lot of voices, and she appreciates that, and will take a look. She will be passing this info on.

That's the short story here, but the longer version is here: https://community.verizonwireless.co.../882431#882431
    and here:
    Looking at Nokia

So who knows. Maybe the determination was already made before I ever started anything, but the woman that I've talked with at Verizon's exec office here several times over the past year and a half has given me the impression that they want to listen. That doesn't mean I think they really are, as their silence lately has sure seemed anti-consumer, and has caused a lot of us to light torches and grab pitch forks, but if Mr. MacPhisto's information proves true, then perhaps there was a reason for their silence. Not that I like it any better, but at least we'll end up with what we wanted.

In the mean time, if you could go to my survey, answer the three questions (if you are/want to be a Verizon customer), and pass along the link on twitter/facebook, I'd appreciate it. Verizon has at least one executive that is aware of that poll, and WILL be taking a look at it. Let's give them as much data to look at as we can. I just checked a minute ago, and I'm up to 584 votes, and that's in less than 4 days, for a nobody like me. Not bad, I'd say. Help me out. Thanks!
    10-08-2012 03:26 PM
    I came here through a link from this forum https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/882524 and I have to say that I appreciate the info here. I noticed that someone else posted a link just above for a petition that they found.

I'd like to share a poll that I created: VerizonWP7 > Home

I spoke with an Executive Assistant from Verizon's Southeast Region offices in Alpharetta, GA, about 45 minutes from me, this morning, and told her about the poll, and told her that it only had about 500 responses at that point, though I realize that to Verizon that's a small number, I'm a nobody with no name recognition and no way to get it out other than twitter, and she stopped me right there and said that no, 500 voices is a lot of voices, and she appreciates that, and will take a look. She will be passing this info on.

That's the short story here, but the longer version is here: https://community.verizonwireless.co.../882431#882431
    and here:
    Looking at Nokia

So who knows. Maybe the determination was already made before I ever started anything, but the woman that I've talked with at Verizon's exec office here several times over the past year and a half has given me the impression that they want to listen. That doesn't mean I think they really are, as their silence lately has sure seemed anti-consumer, and has caused a lot of us to light torches and grab pitch forks, but if Mr. MacPhisto's information proves true, then perhaps there was a reason for their silence. Not that I like it any better, but at least we'll end up with what we wanted.

In the mean time, if you could go to my survey, answer the three questions (if you are/want to be a Verizon customer), and pass along the link on twitter/facebook, I'd appreciate it. Verizon has at least one executive that is aware of that poll, and WILL be taking a look at it. Let's give them as much data to look at as we can. I just checked a minute ago, and I'm up to 584 votes, and that's in less than 4 days, for a nobody like me. Not bad, I'd say. Help me out. Thanks!
    Finally, someone who doesn't complain. Thanks for taking the time to do this. You are not a nobody. You are talking the talk, and walking the walk. Thanks.
    10-10-2012 05:30 PM
    In a WPCentral poll a few weeks ago, a large majority of users said that they would go with the 920 when it came out.

This poll took the question of whether or not your current provider would carry the 920 out of the equation.

Now that it looks like the 920 will be EXCLUSIVE to AT&T, does that change your answer?

Will you be willing to switch carriers to AT&T to get the 920 or will you stick with your current provider and get the next best thing?

I voted for the 920 in the poll, but I'm currently with t-mobile and will NOT be switching to AT&T to get the 920.
    YES!
    I am switching without a second thought. T-mo service is spotty at best. Not to mention I have friends and family who have been with AT&T for years with no problems whatsoever.
    10-15-2012 09:33 AM
    Yes and waiting for the 920!
    10-20-2012 02:41 PM
72 123