"Surface Phone" - Is HTC making it?

baileystein

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I started thinking a minute ago.

Microsoft won't be making their own phone this year-not a chance. I spoke with an employee and he quickly dismissed the fact of a surface phone launching with Windows Phone 8.

But...what about HTC?

Remember the leaked roadmap? Where's Zenith? It isn't here since the quad-core chip isn't ready yet.

Microsoft already proved to us that they aren't worried about giving HTC "Windows Phone" branding.

So, what if Microsoft is planning a "nexus like" device exclusively with HTC?

The possibility seems high. Samsung took HTC's Nexus spot. Where does HTC go?

My predictions:
-If the lumia does not sell well, (as a jab at Nokia) Microsoft may just release "Surface Phone" by HTC this year.
-If everything goes well then they might forget about it
-If they do it though, it will most likely be unlocked on windowsphone.com

Just speculation.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
1. The rumors say MS is being super secrative about the Surface phone. Just because it's not launching day 1 doesn't mean its not coming soon. Just because your source doesn't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist (unless your source is really high up in MS)
2. The quad core chip is ready. LG announced a phone running the S4 pro last week
3. I think MS already gave HTC the closest to that status we will see at launch by giving them the Signature status and Windows Phone 8 branding.

Joelist

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
I suppose it's possible that MS is planning to use the Surface name as a kind of analogue to Android's Nexus. In other words such a device has the OS with no OEM or carrier modifications and all updates are direct from MS.

The thing is, WP already is more or less "pure" on all devices because MS doesn't permit skinning. As such a Nexus like device does not have as much value. So unless getting OS updates direct from MS is valuable then using Surface in this manner is probably a non starter (especially as MS earlier stated that while WP8 updates will primarily come through the carriers they also will be available direct from MS for those who want to do the download - install using a tether to a computer method.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
As long as we are speculating here is what I think Microsoft is up to with this phone thing. I think Microsoft isn't making a Surface phone at all. I think they are making an XBOX companion phone complete with built in Skype for VOIP to use as your home phone. It will have a complete controller interface so you can use it as the controller for your XBOX. It may or may not have a sim card slot my bet is it will. In my mind its a low end device so the younger crowd can afford it.

Yes it will be a Windows Phone 8 device

There you go my speculation.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
q

Man, if there was a Surface Phone announcement alongside the Windows Surface release, I'd wait.

That is what they don't want to happen to there partners if I buy a device now and MS comes out with a surface device that is good on specs and good looking AND NOT EXCLUSIVE!!! to any one carrier I'll buy it.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Please, don't wait to buy a WP8 on your carrier. HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Huawei or whatever, pick up something good when it's available. Otherwise, WP won't get another chance :(

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Please, don't wait to buy a WP8 on your carrier. HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Huawei or whatever, pick up something good when it's available. Otherwise, WP won't get another chance :(

As soon as I can afford it I plan to buy a Nokia Lumia 820 but if this Surface phone matches the concepts I've seen I will be extremely interested in trading in the Lumia for a Surface Phone.

For anyone curious, THIS is the concept that grabbed my attention (not posted by me originally)

patent-wp7accessories.jpg

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Let me speculate a little too...

I think, and this is a term borrowed (again) from advertising, that it will cannibalise all other OEM's business.

I don't know what to expect from the Surface Phone, but I am happy assuming it will have the most high end specs along with a Vanilla flavour of WP OS ...

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Lol.

Why would Microsoft make a phone...after making the Surface...and have HTC make it? That kind of eliminate the entire point.

And Microsoft won't have any phone out anytime within the next 8 months. I guarantee it.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Lol.

Why would Microsoft make a phone...after making the Surface...and have HTC make it? That kind of eliminate the entire point.

And Microsoft won't have any phone out anytime within the next 8 months. I guarantee it.

Whoa! Do you work there? You have a strong mouth.

Bkr11

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Lol.

Most tech companies are fabless and don't actually manufacture their own devices (i.e. Foxconn for Apple) so a Surface branded phone manufactured by a partner does make sense. I don't know about HTC, but NOK does have manufacturing resources...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99