MS Working w/Huawei for Surface Phone | Rumor Tip

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Take this purely as rumor

This is a super interesting #tip: Microsoft is apparently working with Huawei & Mediatek for Surface phone & is hiring camera engineers now.
source

So who is the MS_Nerd? He was an insider/tip guy who has decided to focus his life on other areas, but at one point I thought he was a reliable tipster....of course tracour wasnt around so I would have like to have seen how reliable he was. Click through his tumbler account and make up your own mind. The MS nerd

At one point Huawei was supposed to have a Sept 25th event
windows-phone-8-huawei.jpg

Huawei to introduce multiple Windows Phone offerings
Huawei Ascend W1 Windows Phone 8 device to be unveiled on 25 September? - Pocket-lint
Huawei cell phone or using MediaTek chips – Huawei, MediaTek chip | drivers house

Another tweet
"Another #tip: Nokia & Samsung will be allowed to use NovaThor & Exynos SoCs respectively for the Blue update."
source

Last edited:

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, he did miss with the WP8 update, but Huawei and MS? I wouldn't put it pass MS to do their own Nexus lineup, what with the Zune, mouses and keyboards proving MS has some chops in hardware design. Still, colour me skeptical.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Why would Microsoft pick someone else to make their phone? And of all companies, freaking Huawei. If they are indeed making a "surface phone", I'm pretty sure they'd be doing it themselves.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, he did miss with the WP8 update, but Huawei and MS? I wouldn't put it pass MS to do their own Nexus lineup, what with the Zune, mouses and keyboards proving MS has some chops in hardware design. Still, colour me skeptical.

I'm lazy...what did he say about the WP8 update? :D

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Why would Microsoft pick someone else to make their phone? And of all companies, freaking Huawei. If they are indeed making a "surface phone", I'm pretty sure they'd be doing it themselves.

1 reason...time to market.

I'm 1/2 in/half out...for my beloved zune 30gb (wipes tear ) Toshiba made the first edition then MS took over. They could to the same again....if true. I would guess foxconn or some equivalent would just get handed the design specs and voila

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Huawei knows how to build very high end specs at very low costs. Their design chops are "meh."

If Microsoft brings Surface design and Huawei brings high-end hardware at a low cost, it could set a new watermark for what's possible with phone design.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
MS_Nerd is a person who used to "leak" Microsoft related material, though he is more of a good rumour aggregator. He's been wrong in past.

Microsoft can't chase the high end and maintain the premium Surface brand if Huawei is anywhere on the device. Nothing against Huawei, they simply don't have the right image yet.

Last edited:

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
One more thing: the rumored phone has Mediatek as the SoC provider. It makes me sad. Since Mediatek isn't bleeding edge, I rather they do Rockchip.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
MS_Nerd is a person who used to "leak" Microsoft related material, though he is more of a good rumour aggregator. He's been wrong in past.

Microsoft can't chase the high end and maintain the premium Surface brand if Huawei is anywhere on the device. Nothing against Huawei, they simply don't have the right image yet.
I agree. Hauwei isn't relevant. This would be almost as bad as having Nokia make the device. Gotta go HTC or Samsung if you want results, preferably Samsung.

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't it be similar to what HTC/Microsoft did before, in which the Microsoft name was on the phone but HTC were the makers? The phones were decent enough, so now it's Huawei as the small company.

aniym

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't it be similar to what HTC/Microsoft did before, in which the Microsoft name was on the phone but HTC were the makers? The phones were decent enough, so now it's Huawei as the small company.

This is exactly what's going to happen. The average consumer will not have any idea who the OEM is. The Zune HD was manufactured by Sharp. Try looking for a Sharp logo on the device or in the manual. I don't understand why everyone is pissing themselves over this. The major TV manufacturers use other OEMs to develop their non flagship models all the time, even though they obviously have their own hardware divisions.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
The phone will be guaranteed to be cheap and flimsy. Also, there is strong risk that the phone could be the target of Chinese espionage.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

Was not aware that microsoft had a huge manufacturing facility dedicated to mobile devices. Can you name any mobile device that MS actually builds themselves? I have no doubt that they can design a phone, but they will not be "making" it themselves.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Bad rumor. And MS_Nerd is horrible. It's been years since he has leaked anything accurate, and when he did he just got it from another site that had already posted it first.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
ZTE and Huawei are getting a lot of heat in the news here. Unless they write a law or regulation to prevent it, U.S. Businesses are going to do what they want, and tell the government to stay out of their lives. It's just the way it is here.

However, US consumers who have knowledge of the issues could refuse to buy these companies' products and also spread the word to their family members, friends, and neighbors.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Was not aware that microsoft had a huge manufacturing facility dedicated to mobile devices. Can you name any mobile device that MS actually builds themselves? I have no doubt that they can design a phone, but they will not be "making" it themselves.

Not too sure what you're getting at. Like any company, Microsoft doesn't need to own a manufacturing facility to build products. I don't know the specifics of where Microsoft makes their products, so I can't comment on that (that said, I'd certainly call the Zune and Surface "mobile devices", right?). But Apple, for instance, doesn't own the plants where the iPhone is built, but that doesn't make the product the "Foxconn iPhone5". It's Apple's device, they designed it. In the case I'm talking about, it would Wauweii's phone.

I'm getting pretty sick of this forum, it's overrun by 11 year olds trying to be cool on the internet. I can't open a thread without having to read some childish remarks like the one above. Grow up people.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786