MS Working w/Huawei for Surface Phone | Rumor Tip

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
However, US consumers who have knowledge of the issues could refuse to buy these companies' products and also spread the word to their family members, friends, and neighbors.

I was just reading another article on it. It looks like it's the bigger equipment that they are worried about. Like the giant routers. They stated:

"...Committee Chairman Rogers, at a press conference to release the report, said the panel was stopping short of urging a US boycott of mobile phones and other handheld devices made by Huawei and ZTE.

The panel's warning pertains only to devices that involve processing of data on a large scale, Rogers said in reply to a question...."

The problem I see is if they don't buy from ZTE or Huawei, who else makes it but another Chinese factory?

Now I am waiting for somebody to find an extra chip or extra script in the iPhone5 that's not suppose to be there. Maybe we should all start learning Mandarin. :D

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Not too sure what you're getting at. Like any company, Microsoft doesn't need to own a manufacturing facility to build products. I don't know the specifics of where Microsoft makes their products, so I can't comment on that (that said, I'd certainly call the Zune and Surface "mobile devices", right?). But Apple, for instance, doesn't own the plants where the iPhone is built, but that doesn't make the product the "Foxconn iPhone5". It's Apple's device, they designed it. In the case I'm talking about, it would Wauweii's phone.

I'm getting pretty sick of this forum, it's overrun by 11 year olds trying to be cool on the internet. I can't open a thread without having to read some childish remarks like the one above. Grow up people.

You said, "WHY WOULD MS PICK SOMEONE ELSE TO MAKE THEIR PHONE." Not sure what you were implying if not to say that they could manufacture it themselves. That is what I was replying to. Saying that they would most likely use someone like whoever designed the surface tablets to make their devices. Yes Zune and Surface are mobile devices and they were not "made" by MS at all. MS may have helped design them, but they did not "make" them.

Not sure what remark of mine was childish and I sure as **** am not a damn 11year old. You must not have been very clear with your explanation. The person 2 posts after yours made the same "wrong" conclusion about what you wrote as well, thinking you meant MS should actually manufacture their own device.

Get some thicker skin if you want to post on an internet public forum. I in no way attacked you at all. Then you called me childish which is a personal attack. Pretty sure thats in the forum rules as a no-no. Maybe you are too child like to know that you should obey rules when you agree too.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
"Maybe you are too child like to know that you should obey rules"

:confused:

I made myself clear in a kind manner (at least meant to) before I said anything else. Your comment came off, to me, as rude. If you didn't mean it that way, great, I'm sorry I included you in my mini-rant. Didn't need the whole thing about not having thick enough skin to handle an internet forum, but I saw the "I in no way attacked you at all" part, and I can get passed it. Cheers,

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I would find this ironic after today's congressional committee statement advising American companies against doing business with either Huawei or ZTE

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Why would Microsoft pick someone else to make their phone? And of all companies, freaking Huawei. If they are indeed making a "surface phone", I'm pretty sure they'd be doing it themselves.

Your Xbox 360 is not manufactured by Microsoft employees. It's made by a company subcontracting with Microsoft to make a Microsoft-branded device.

It would not be the first time Huawei made a device for the US market to be sold under a recognizable-to-Americans name. The T-Mobile Springboard: you didn't think it was actually manufactured by T-Mobile employees, did you? ;)

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
The problem I see is if they don't buy from ZTE or Huawei, who else makes it but another Chinese factory?

Lenovo, a Chinese company, has just opened a manufacturing facility in the US. Neither Apple nor Dell nor HP nor (I believe) Microsoft have manufacturing facilities in the US...they make everything in China. IRONIC.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The anti-China stuff strikes me as hyperbole. If "China is modifying electronics with backdoor security hacks" as the US government alleges, then we're all in trouble, since Chinese companies make almost every major technology company's products.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
Lenovo, a Chinese company, has just opened a manufacturing facility in the US. Neither Apple nor Dell nor HP nor (I believe) Microsoft have manufacturing facilities in the US...they make everything in China. IRONIC.
Microsoft is a software company. It doesn't "manufacture" anything.

Its primary products (Windows, Office, Windows Phone) are all developed in the US, though.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Microsoft is a software company. It doesn't "manufacture" anything.

Its primary products (Windows, Office, Windows Phone) are all developed in the US, though.

They have keyboards, mouses, xBox that someone manufactures for them.....plus someone has to make their CD's and cases, who i don't know.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
They have keyboards, mouses, xBox that someone manufactures for them.....plus someone has to make their CD's and cases, who i don't know.

Exactly. And don't forget the popular Microsoft Lifecam line of webcams. And the new Surface tablet. Microsoft sells plenty of Microsoft-branded hardware...they're not solely a software company as Sentiment said.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm not buying this new report that came out against ZTE and Huawei. I'm sure Western powers have done their share of spying through technology the last few decades. And that's not to say that those Chinese companies would even try it.

It's an election year in the US so there is a lot of foreign policy BS flying around at the moment.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There is also the issue of software piracy.

Top 20 Economies in Commercial Value of
Pirated PC Software, 2011
Pirated
Legal
Piracy
Value
Sales
Rate
($M)
($M)
US
$9,773
$41,664
19%
China
$8,902
$2,659
77%
Russia
$3,227
$1,895
63%
India
$2,930
$1,721
63%
Brazil
$2,848
$2,526
53%
France
$2,754
$4,689
37%
Germany
$2,265
$6,447
26%
Italy
$1,945
$2,107
48%
UK
$1,943
$5,530
26%
Japan
$1,875
$7,054
21%
Indonesia
$1,467
$239
86%
Mexico
$1,249
$942
57%
Spain
$1,216
$1,548
44%
Canada
$1,141
$3,085
27%
Thailand
$852
$331
72%
South Korea
$815
$1,223
40%
Australia
$763
$2,554
23%
Venezuela
$668
$91
88%
Malaysia
$657
$538
55%
Argentina
$657
$295
69%

http://portal.bsa.org/globalpiracy2011/downloads/study_pdf/2011_BSA_Piracy_Study-Standard.pdf

http://portal.bsa.org/globalpiracy2011/downloads/study_pdf/2011_BSA_Piracy_Study-InBrief.pdf

Last edited:

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
We spy on China and China spies on us. It doesn't keep me up at night. Why? Because China needs us as much as we need them. We're each other's biggest trading partners. There will never be a war between the US and China. You don't bomb your #1 customer or your #1 wholesaler. It doesn't make sense.

I wish China would treat its own citizens better, but do I fear them? No. Not at all. China doesn't pose a threat to me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium