HTC 8X pricing rumor -- T-Mobile

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
While $199 is holding as the "on contract" price for the 8X, I have heard from two people now that the full price for the 8X will be "the same as the Radar," which is $399.

If true, this could be a great choice for a Value Plan on the T.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
While $199 is holding as the "on contract" price for the 8X, I have heard from two people now that the full price for the 8X will be "the same as the Radar," which is $399.

If true, this could be a great choice for a Value Plan on the T.

That would be a ridiculously awesome price! Do you have inside information?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Just from a friend at a distributor.

Remember, take rumors and plans with a grain of salt. It's not official. I'm salivating at the idea, however (and it wouldn't be the first time that T-Mo's contract pricing was only a 50% discount on the device itself).

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That's a ridiculously awesome price! I really want to say "too good to be true" here, but I will instead settle for that grain of salt and some crossed fingers.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
IMO, it seems far more likely that the 8S will be priced like the radar than the 8X. If the 8X is only $399 what are they going to charge for the 8S? $250?

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
3 UK pricing leaked at 350GPB so I'm guessing about $500 off contract in the US based on this. The direct conversion is $560ish, but phones usually cost a maximum of 89% of direct conversion GBP to USD, due to the UK price including tax. May be as low as $450, but I think $399 is completely out of the question. Still, $499 for the 8X isn't exactly a bad deal.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Someone convince me to get the HTC 8X over the Lumia 920. As it stands right now, outside of the HTC being thinner and lighter, feature wise I don't see much that would win me over. Really digging the Lumia's OIS camera feature, Nokia maps, and City Lens.

The main reason I'm asking to convince me is because my family is on a T-mobile plan until February. I'd be tempted to buy the Lumia 920 flat out and bring it over to T-Mobile, but that's a heap of money + dealing with 2G speeds for a while.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Someone convince me to get the HTC 8X over the Lumia 920. As it stands right now, outside of the HTC being thinner and lighter, feature wise I don't see much that would win me over. Really digging the Lumia's OIS camera feature, Nokia maps, and City Lens.

The main reason I'm asking to convince me is because my family is on a T-mobile plan until February. I'd be tempted to buy the Lumia 920 flat out and bring it over to T-Mobile, but that's a heap of money + dealing with 2G speeds for a while.

8X camera will likely be faster shot to shot due to a dedicated imaging chip. Also, that same chip should ensure pretty good (well above average) pictures. The One X, which uses the same imaging chip, has a very, very good camera, behind only the 808, iPhone 4S, and GSIII (I think the iPhone 5 camera may be inferior to the 4S due to halo issues in backlit pictures). Built in amplifier will give you plenty of volume through both the phone's speaker and the headphone jack. 8X looks better IMHO. HTC phones have been very high quality, so aren't really missing out there. All windows phone 8 devices are getting Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive, which are replacing Bing location services entirely. City lens is a gimmik. It looks awesome in demos, but who is actually going to do that in real life. I used it all of one time on my 900.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
That's a ridiculously awesome price! I really want to say "too good to be true" here, but I will instead settle for that grain of salt and some crossed fingers.
Not too good to be true. Dual Core Snapdragon S4 is on the verge of being last gen and this is a thick 4.3" device with a huge bezel. It had mid-range written all over it. Some just refused to heed to the signs.

I'd be surprised if anyone ever bought the 8X for $600 off contract or $200 on contract. The alternatives, such as the One X, are just too much more attractive and it'd still be naive to think that a WP8 could sell for as much as an Android.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
8X camera will likely be faster shot to shot due to a dedicated imaging chip. Also, that same chip should ensure pretty good (well above average) pictures. The One X, which uses the same imaging chip, has a very, very good camera, behind only the 808, iPhone 4S, and GSIII (I think the iPhone 5 camera may be inferior to the 4S due to halo issues in backlit pictures). Built in amplifier will give you plenty of volume through both the phone's speaker and the headphone jack. 8X looks better IMHO. HTC phones have been very high quality, so aren't really missing out there. All windows phone 8 devices are getting Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive, which are replacing Bing location services entirely. City lens is a gimmik. It looks awesome in demos, but who is actually going to do that in real life. I used it all of one time on my 900.

That is indeed a good case you make. I guess I'll have to wait and see when these phones come out. Curious to see how they stack head to head in the real world. I've actually got a chance to hold the 8X in hand, but it's been about 3 weeks and my memory is pretty faint. I definitely liked how it held in my hand, how it operated, and the camera was pretty sharp too. Wasn't too impressed with the Beats integration though (then again, I think Beats is just overrated).

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
.... City lens is a gimmik. It looks awesome in demos, but who is actually going to do that in real life. I used it all of one time on my 900.

I don't know how it was on the 900, but I used it on my N8, and it was pretty cool. I used it a lot on vacation, and we found some places that we didn't know existed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb