My Dillema

justwar88

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
So my attempts to get out of my Sprint contract worked! Now I am torn between going to ATT for the 920 or Verizon.. I know verizon will have the 8X but I think I want the Lumia.. Verizon has LTE in my area, I have a verizon hotspot at home and its fast.. 16 down 10-15 up.. ATT has LTE about 15 minutes away from here that they just lit up so I am guessing they will be expanding it more. Help me!! And if you are stuck in a Sprint contract.. I will give you my secret :p

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
You oughta wait. A lot of rumors have been circulating, saying that the Lumia 920 will eventually come to Verizon in a month or two.

Believe me, I'm on T-Mobile and am tempted to buy the Lumia 920 straight up, and bring it over to T-Mobile's refarmed 3G and soon to be LTE. However, the Lumia is showing up to be quite expensive in Europe, so that might not be possible.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I still think getting your carrier's optimized handset is a better idea than getting a third-party handset and running it on the "refarmed" network. I'd rather have 20 MHz of AWS open to me and other 4G T-Mo users than share 5 or 10 MHz of 1900 with a bunch of iPhones.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, from the refarming going in Dallas, the speed tests I've seen on Iphones have varied from 2.5mbps to 6.5mbps. That's honestly about the same ball park my MyTouch 4G gets depending on where I am.

My contract doesn't end till February anyways, I still have a lot of options to think out. Kinda reluctant to go with AT&T given the stories I hear in regards to Customer Service and phone reception quality. Hoping the 920 comes to Verizon.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Kinda reluctant to go with AT&T given the stories I hear in regards to Customer Service and phone reception quality. Hoping the 920 comes to Verizon.

I grew up in dallas and I remember when I was younger (and they were still Cingular) they told my grandmother their reception sucked because restrictions in some areas of the metro such as Mckinney and Garland had laws that required the phone towers be shorter than usual for coverage and thats why she had reception problems. I to this day refuse to get service with AT&T because of all the problems my grandmother had with reception. So I wonder if all the negativity on AT&T stems from way back when....

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Future WP will be much more plentiful with ATT. ATT has the widest variety of phones of every platform and get a flagship from every maker. Verizon is 2nd in that respect, but pretty distant if you ask me.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Frankly the carrier you pick should have the coverage you are happiest with in you main area. I been happy with AT&T and their customer service is pretty similar to Verizon IMO. But if their coverage sucks in your home then there is no point with getting stuck with then because of one device

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Last edited:

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Definitely go with the best coverage. Ask around and see what others say that have had both carriers. I've picked device over carrier before and it was the worst mistake ever. Also, when I switched from at&t to Verizon, Verizon had the best phones, that was only three or so years ago. Phone selection seems to go in cycles with these carriers. If wp8 takes off Verizon will have just as good of phones as anyone else. They have the best android phone selection by far.

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I've been with AT&T since the Cingular days and yes, there were times when I had issues here and there. Over the last several years though I have no real reason to complain and the few times I had to call and talk to a human CSR were pleasant and helpful. Here in Cleveland it seems like all the carriers except Sprint have really good coverage.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
It depends on how quickly you want your phone, what your travel patterns are, and what the coverage in your area is. Both AT&T and VZW are pretty comparable with price. Verizon is way ahead in LTE deployment nationally and will have their whole network deployed within the next year, so you will be able to get LTE pretty much everywhere in the US. I think AT&T's deployment on this is 2-3 years away. Verizon also has the spectrum to ramp up LTE to its full 300 Mbit/s top end and will begin jacking the speed up on it after the network is fully deployed. So chances are good that the speed will increase.

I have it on good authority that VZW will be getting a variant of the 920. I have heard that it would be out for Black Friday, though that could always change. But VZW seems to have plans to carry the 822, the 92(2?), the HTC 8X, the Samsung ATIV S, and, maybe, the 8S too. But don't expect them all to hit in early November. Verizon likes to stagger phone releases, so I'd guess they'll have two WP8 handsets available first week of November (likely 8X and 822), then they'll add the ATIV S, then they'll add the 920 variant.

I have heard nothing other than AT&T threw some money at Nokia to get the 920 exclusive, but they care mostly about it because of the buzz surrounding the number. Verizon's will have a modified design and one bit of info I've heard is that it might add microSD support, but that is only buzz at this point.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Coverage is overrated. Look at where you OFTEN are located and base your decision on that. There's no sense in paying double or even triple the price to get coverage in the high desert of West Texas if you're spending all of your time in Manhattan, after all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786