Lumia 810 is super thick

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
The photos for the press made it look thin, but the hands on videos show how thick the 810 is. Yikes.

Why can't Nokia make a thin-and-light phone? Doing so with low end components should be relatively easy, after all.

GB330033

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has a reputation for sturdy "break the floor, not the phone" phones. Perhaps they don't WANT to make a thin and light phone?

Personally, I'm okay with that. Thin and light is overrated. We're at a point where any thinner and lighter will feel flimsy, and until we have unbreakable flexible displays or phones on our wrists or something, I don't need it to be thin and light.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I still like the feel and thickness of my old Palm 750. You could play football with that phone and not break it. :D

Some people like thin. So many of the phones today are so thin and fragile, I'd be afraid to use them without a heavy duty otterbox case. :cool:

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
The photos for the press made it look thin, but the hands on videos show how thick the 810 is. Yikes.

Why can't Nokia make a thin-and-light phone? Doing so with low end components should be relatively easy, after all.
Compare the WxHxD specs with other phones. It really isn't as big as everyone seems to think.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Nokia has a reputation for sturdy "break the floor, not the phone" phones. Perhaps they don't WANT to make a thin and light phone?

Personally, I'm okay with that. Thin and light is overrated. We're at a point where any thinner and lighter will feel flimsy, and until we have unbreakable flexible displays or phones on our wrists or something, I don't need it to be thin and light.
but the screen would shatter anyway... there is tons of pictures of the Lumia 900 and 800 with shattered screens... this argument is getting old

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I think sales indicate that consumers vastly prefer thinner and lighter devices. Or maybe cyan just makes the 810 look massive... but all the hands-on videos made me say "wow, that is a thick phone."

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
But do they really prefer thin and light, or just think they do from marketing and the cool kids?

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
A distinction without much difference when it comes to consumer sales.

And yeah, I prefer thin and light. Otherwise Palindri and I should just break out our Palm 755p handsets again. :D

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Light and thin or thick and heavier is a personal choice I think. No wrong or right way to go. It makes me think of bowling. Some people like a heavier ball to hit the pocket and explode the pins. Some like a lighter ball to fling down the alley at 80 mph. But curiously, how many men like throwing the lighter ball as opposed to the heavier ball? Yet it seems the opposite when it comes to phones.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
That's because you are not holding a bowling ball on your ear. Is not rocket science, portable devices are supposed to be lighter.

You don't care if your TV or Fridge is heavy but your earrings and headphones should be light. A heavier phone just means it will get more damage when it falls on the ground.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I was referring to the more macho aspect of men. But you have a valid point about holding it to your ear. How valid is the drop arguement if the phone has a case?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I saw the hands on and thought it looked average for thickness. Overall it is a nice looking phone. I barely handle my trophy without the case on... Just feels flimsy. Weight is more important to me than thickness.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't seem that bad to me. I'm used to having bulk on my iPhone 4, even with the case I use now. I think I can handle the 810 just fine. Of course, I'll have to try it out hands-on in the store before I decide whether to buy it.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I looked at pictures of the top view and estimated that you can roughly fit three 3.5mm headphone jacks along the thickest point so the 10.9mm thickness is most likely true.

I don't think it looks that thick, it's just the tapered edges with the blue cover that make it look like it has a bulge. You will feel better after you see some thickness comparison shots with other phones.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
But do they really prefer thin and light, or just think they do from marketing and the cool kids?

It's not marketing. It is the bell curve or equilibrium for phone size that is being raped by Nokia. Back in the days of 2 inch screens, phones could be thick and still easily fit in your pocket. As screens sizes increased, there was a need for the engineers to shave off that screen size increase in other areas to maintain the general fit in your pocket size.

Nokia is just throwing that out the window by increasing screen size without reducing it anywhere. That equals phones that look huge. For example, you can't really notice that the Lumia 800 is quite thick because the other dimensions are small, but when they magnified that thickness by increasing the other dimensions without reducing the thickness, they created a monster.

They should have just taken out wireless charging and some other fancy technology to reduce the thickness IMO.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I want to see the 810 in black in a hands-on as well. I'm wondering if the thickness isn't "called out" by the color. I know that when I wear a blue shirt, I look a lot fatter in photos than if I wear a black shirt... brighter colors typically make things (and people) look larger.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills