another hint for verizon 9XX

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Obviously, I cannot prove that a leaked document is genuine, but I saw it on that site (and a couple of others). It predated HTC and Nokia's WP announcements/leaks (for the 8X and 822 respectively) with the lineup that we now know is coming. I see no reason to believe that the bits about the 9XX series aren't also true.

However, I'd imagine Verizon users are in for a bit of a wait. If you want a "sure thing," and you're on Verizon, you can switch to AT&T, get an 8X, or get an 822 if the idea of "wait and see" isn't appealing.

The bits about the 9XX said November and didn't mention the 822, so who knows. Even roadmaps can be wrong. Verizon showed us a slide of a Nokia device launching last Feb that obviously never happened. (It actually looks just like the 822.. they probably reused the design..)

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
NokiaPureView said the phone was in testing which would indicate that the phone won't be launching anytime in the immediate future. He had mentioned to expect it before the new year or likely closer to CES in January. This would follow my expectations of the 920 to come directly to Verizon once AT&T's exclusivity is over.
It is hard to speculate what exactly is going on with the whole process and as to wether or not NokiaPureView is a hoax. He is also making posts in Indonesian so this would stand to be a possibly reliable source if one of the dialects in Chennai is Indonesian where the main Nokia factory is.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
NokiaPureView stated he will upload photos of Verizons 920 variant about 20 minutes ago. I replied telling him it has to have a verizon stamp to be legit. Hang tight, A leak might be in the works. (don't hold your breath you may die)

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Still hearing from my VZW source that a Nokia Lumia 9XX model is coming. Have heard that they are not sure Nokia can deliver by Black Friday as they had hoped, but are expecting to have it by the second week of December at the latest, still pushing for Black Friday and trying to convince Nokia that missing Black Friday is bad news.

BUT a lot of the problem is AT&T lobbying Nokia to sit on the phone. I can tell you that Nokia is not helping themselves with Verizon. VZW played nice and agreed to let AT&T have a month long exclusive of the top end Lumia device. I guess most everyone had been hoping and expecting for WP8 to launch at least a week earlier. AT&T is pitching a fit about the VZW variant possibly being available at the end of November because that won't give them 30 days. Nokia wants Verizon to throw them some cash to fix the problem. That IS NOT what you do with Verizon, especially if you have an agreement in place beforehand.

They still want and expect to have a Lumia 920 variant by mid-December. Remember, too, that Verizon doesn't tend to announce things a month in advance. They often will give you a week's notice. Their tendency is not to promote a phone much before it is available, but when people can go to a store and actually look at a functional version of one. Verizon's philosophy is that people come to them because of their network. They want good phones, but they have felt for a long time that their network differentiates them and sets them above. The phone would be worthless if the network is garbage.

I've said for awhile, do not expect to hear anything from VZW about a 9XX phone until mid November at the earliest. Nokia wants AT&T to have a window (and they've been paid to do this). Announcing that Verizon will have one relatively quickly will take away any AT&T advantage with the phone. Of course, any switchers to AT&T will be upset if they wanted to stay with VZW or go to VZW. My own feeling is that I don't think it'll cause any massive move to AT&T. Maybe some Sprint customers who might have gone to VZW.

Verizon is really over the whole "exclusive" phone stuff. They need certain hardware due to their CDMA band (and often that can be enough to claim the phone is a variant). Nokia presently make no phones that support CDMA800 and CDMA1900. So there always will be a slight model number difference between the GSM/WCDMA phones and the CDMA2000 phones. But most manufacturers have no trouble with this and Nokia should not either.

Still big plans for Windows Phone 8. Verizon will push it and if Nokia doesn't get them a 9XX model then they feel it will be Nokia's loss, not theirs. They still feel they will make it take off, doing with it what they did with Droid. It's just if Nokia isn't there with a high end device then you can expect them to push HTC and Samsung (Samsung is working on a variant with the CDMA guts).

Also note that none of these phones list any CDMA support on their sites YET because Verizon has yet to announce. I would be surprised if Verizon announces its first set of WP8 devices before the October 29 event. In fact, I would not be surprised if a big reveal at that event is Verizon's lineup - depending on who all is invited. I could see Verizon releasing details on all their phones on October 30 and then having them available on that Friday. Heck, I could even see Verizon NOT announcing anything and people just seeing them show up one day.

This is how Verizon does it. They are not a big hype machine. They will promote the products they have and every ad will include info about the superiority of their LTE network. A huge part of the reason why they are like this is because their customers are very loyal and very satisfied. They don't fear that they'll lose customers because of some new, fancy phone. Most people are with VZW because they like dependability and quality service.

So don't expect to hear anything from Verizon for at least two weeks. I'd be surprised if we did.

Reactions: Gaichuke

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to help young bucks such as yourself. People getting up their hopes is just disheartening.

I am not giving my hopes up, but I am not going to completely disreguarding this guy because he has no credibility either. Plenty of leaks come out of mysterious places. Everyone coming into this thread should know to take this information with a grain of salt until anything concrete shows up to either back him up or disprove his honesty. Him promissing a photo is the perfect chance to do that. no photo then he is a hoax, if he provides a photo and it passes an inspection for photochopping then he is deemed reliable. Once this photo tweet blows over and If none is provided I will deem him as an unreliable source and move on.

Just let our Imaginations run wild... as long as you don't play for keeps it's good. This is more or less just helping pass time.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I am not giving my hopes up, but I am not going to completely disreguarding this guy because he has no credibility either. Plenty of leaks come out of myserious places. Everyone coming into this thread should know to take this information with a grain of salt until anything concrete shows up to either back him up or disprove his honesty. Him promissing a photo is the perfect chance to do that. no photo then he is a hoax, if he provides a photo and it passes an inspection for photochopping then he is deemed reliable. Once this photo tweet blows over and If none is provided I will deem him as an unreliable source and move on.

Yea not really. They come from credibly guys like EVLEAKS that leaked the 920 and 8X.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Still hearing from my VZW source that a Nokia Lumia 9XX model is coming. Have heard that they are not sure Nokia can deliver by Black Friday as they had hoped, but are expecting to have it by the second week of December at the latest, still pushing for Black Friday and trying to convince Nokia that missing Black Friday is bad news.

BUT a lot of the problem is AT&T lobbying Nokia to sit on the phone. I can tell you that Nokia is not helping themselves with Verizon. VZW played nice and agreed to let AT&T have a month long exclusive of the top end Lumia device. I guess most everyone had been hoping and expecting for WP8 to launch at least a week earlier. AT&T is pitching a fit about the VZW variant possibly being available at the end of November because that won't give them 30 days. Nokia wants Verizon to throw them some cash to fix the problem. That IS NOT what you do with Verizon, especially if you have an agreement in place beforehand.

They still want and expect to have a Lumia 920 variant by mid-December. Remember, too, that Verizon doesn't tend to announce things a month in advance. They often will give you a week's notice. Their tendency is not to promote a phone much before it is available, but when people can go to a store and actually look at a functional version of one. Verizon's philosophy is that people come to them because of their network. They want good phones, but they have felt for a long time that their network differentiates them and sets them above. The phone would be worthless if the network is garbage.

I've said for awhile, do not expect to hear anything from VZW about a 9XX phone until mid November at the earliest. Nokia wants AT&T to have a window (and they've been paid to do this). Announcing that Verizon will have one relatively quickly will take away any AT&T advantage with the phone. Of course, any switchers to AT&T will be upset if they wanted to stay with VZW or go to VZW. My own feeling is that I don't think it'll cause any massive move to AT&T. Maybe some Sprint customers who might have gone to VZW.

Verizon is really over the whole "exclusive" phone stuff. They need certain hardware due to their CDMA band (and often that can be enough to claim the phone is a variant). Nokia presently make no phones that support CDMA800 and CDMA1900. So there always will be a slight model number difference between the GSM/WCDMA phones and the CDMA2000 phones. But most manufacturers have no trouble with this and Nokia should not either.

Still big plans for Windows Phone 8. Verizon will push it and if Nokia doesn't get them a 9XX model then they feel it will be Nokia's loss, not theirs. They still feel they will make it take off, doing with it what they did with Droid. It's just if Nokia isn't there with a high end device then you can expect them to push HTC and Samsung (Samsung is working on a variant with the CDMA guts).

Also note that none of these phones list any CDMA support on their sites YET because Verizon has yet to announce. I would be surprised if Verizon announces its first set of WP8 devices before the October 29 event. In fact, I would not be surprised if a big reveal at that event is Verizon's lineup - depending on who all is invited. I could see Verizon releasing details on all their phones on October 30 and then having them available on that Friday. Heck, I could even see Verizon NOT announcing anything and people just seeing them show up one day.

This is how Verizon does it. They are not a big hype machine. They will promote the products they have and every ad will include info about the superiority of their LTE network. A huge part of the reason why they are like this is because their customers are very loyal and very satisfied. They don't fear that they'll lose customers because of some new, fancy phone. Most people are with VZW because they like dependability and quality service.

So don't expect to hear anything from Verizon for at least two weeks. I'd be surprised if we did.
@Mr. MacPhisto

Everything you just said has sent shivers down my spine and i hope its all true! If everything you said comes true, i will write your name on my voters ballad election day!

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to help young bucks such as yourself. People getting up their hopes is just disheartening.

Let's get their hopes back down, shall we?

Here is the dismal reality... Verizon won't even be getting a Nokia WP8. In fact, the 822 is a Symbian S-40 NON TOUCHSCREEN phone controlled by a Morse code interface connected to a command line. The WP-like screen you've been seeing is actually merely a lock screen that covers up Nokia's "CP/M Mobile Edition" CLI.

So that AT&T doesn't get an "unfair advantage" over Verizon in this situation, every Lumia 920 will be shipped with a hopelessly shattered screen.

T-Mobile will be getting the 910 without any CLI strangeness or shattered screens. In fact, it will run WP8... over a GPRS data connection running at half speed. Download rates should be half those of a 14.4 dial-up modem from 1993.

NOW YOU'RE DEPRESSED!

ColeHarris

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Ok this guy is officially full of crap:
d89vn.jpg

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Ok this guy is officially full of crap:

For the sake of argument I'll assume that the info from @nokiapureview is legit.

Now then, what the **** is that guy trying to tell with that picture? Different camera than in 920? Different camera plate? Why is he taking a blurred photo in purpose, if they do not let him to take pictures of it then how came even that photo was possible?

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks MacPhisto. I have dashed my hopes, and you come along again with one your enticing posts to rekindle them. Damn you. Damn you to all hail (yeah, I know I misspelled it)!

All kidding aside, you are absolutely correct on Verizon's handling of phones and announcements. They handled the Trophy in the exact manner, and we should expect them to handle the 8X, Ativ S, 822 and any other Windows Phone device rumored to come out. On that note, your post in reality has tempered my expectations rather than excite them. A toast -here is to everyone getting what they want!

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks MacPhisto. I have dashed my hopes, and you come along again with one your enticing posts to rekindle them. Damn you. Damn you to all hail (yeah, I know I misspelled it)!

All kidding aside, you are absolutely correct on Verizon's handling of phones and announcements. They handled the Trophy in the exact manner, and we should expect them to handle the 8X, Ativ S, 822 and any other Windows Phone device rumored to come out. On that note, your post in reality has tempered my expectations rather than excite them. A toast -here is to everyone getting what they want!

It's good to temper them. There are moving parts here and this is a cut throat industry. AT&T has thrown money at a phone maker before to keep a phone away from Verizon and that's a game Verizon won't play. I know they did it with the iPhone. Apple was prepared to open it up to Verizon earlier than they did, but only ended up doing so because of market saturation issues. Verizon feels, with good reason, that they have the most stable customer base in the industry. I wouldn't put it past AT&T to see 920 sales soar and decide to throw a Brinks truck at Nokia to try to prevent a similar phone hitting on VZW. Verizon has had plans for the phone. One has been designed for them. They want it. But if Nokia comes looking for cash, VZW will basically give them the finger on it. They might, in retribution, throw the 822 on a scrap heap and fail to stock it.

This hurts the platform and ultimately Microsoft should have done whatever they could to ensure all customers that want one of these phones can get one. I know I'd prefer the 920 myself, but I will not go to AT&T to get one.

But it's also important to not get too discouraged. As I've said and you've noted as well - Verizon doesn't really do huge announcements or give a lot of lead time. They are pretty good about keeping their plans fairly secret in this day and age. I remember a couple years ago telling people that Verizon would begin rolling out LTE by the end of 2010 (I think that was in 2009) and no one thought it was possible, but I was told that they had quietly been getting towers ready in major markets and all they had to do is flick the switch. Even that didn't get any real build up - it just happened. Same for the Thunderbolt launch. I think most of the buzz was generated only a week before launch, if that. And Thunderbolt was a big deal, though not a great phone.

Expect VZW to support WP8 through advertizing and in store promotion. Do not expect them to hype any device before it is available to customers. Do not expect them to have a big, shiny Apple like event to show anything off. It's not what they do. Officially, we don't even know the 8X will be on their network. We know it through the grapevine and through HTC saying something - and even that made some VZW people a bit upset.

Seriously, most likely thing is a press release a week or less before a launch. Before that, you'll continue to see specs on these phones that say none of them support the CDMA2000 bands VZW uses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99