Lumia 920 will not support AWS

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's just I want to be able to use UK 3/4G and then US 3G (4G if possible) when I visit, that's all. And I'm not going AT&T/Straight Talk. T-Mo is my ONLY option.

I must have missed your post about why you can't use AT&T/Straight Talk. You have a few options if you don't want Straight Talk. You can go to a Best Buy Store in the states and get a H20Wireless (AT&T MNVO) SIM card, or go to an AT&T store and get a Pay As You Go SIM card. Why does it have to be T-Mobile? :)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I must have missed your post about why you can't use AT&T/Straight Talk. You have a few options if you don't want Straight Talk. You can go to a Best Buy Store in the states and get a H20Wireless (AT&T MNVO) SIM card, or go to an AT&T store and get a Pay As You Go SIM card. Why does it have to be T-Mobile? :)

Only T-Mo offers unlimited data AFAIK. Straight Talk's unlimited doesn't count to me as it doesn't include streaming, and I love my Zune Music Pass. Plus I'll be Skyping a lot.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Based on the specs on T-Mobile USA's website the Lumia 810 supports HSPA+ on 1700/2100 MHz while AT&T's HSPA+ network is on 850/1900 MHz so I don't think you will get 4G speeds. You might get 2G on AT&T's GSM bands but that won't do you any good streaming music.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Based on the specs on T-Mobile USA's website the Lumia 810 supports HSPA+ on 1700/2100 MHz while AT&T's HSPA+ network is on 850/1900 MHz so I don't think you will get 4G speeds. You might get 2G on AT&T's GSM bands but that won't do you any good streaming music.

That also renders it a 2G brick this side of the Atlantic... As the UK is on AT&T bands.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
That also renders it a 2G brick this side of the Atlantic... As the UK is on AT&T bands.

Yes I agree. The AWS bands are becoming very popular in North America with several carriers planning LTE on 1700/2100MHz spectrum but Europe is a different story. I wish the world could just get along lol! Too many different spectum out there.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Only T-Mo offers unlimited data AFAIK. Straight Talk's unlimited doesn't count to me as it doesn't include streaming, and I love my Zune Music Pass. Plus I'll be Skyping a lot.

What? Unlimited with no streaming? Streaming is the only reason anyone would go over a Gb in data. Straight talk is a terrible deal.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Kind of strange the last two Nokia phones I bought had pentaband. My Nokia N8 and my wife's Nokia 808. The only reason i can think of as to why Nokia has gotten away from pentaband with WP's is U.S. Carriers demanding it.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Kind of strange the last two Nokia phones I bought had pentaband. My Nokia N8 and my wife's Nokia 808. The only reason i can think of as to why Nokia has gotten away from pentaband with WP's is U.S. Carriers demanding it.

That is 100% correct. It's all business here in the US. Usually at the expense of the consumer.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't think pentaband radio changes are due to carrier demands to eliminate it (since only AT&T would benefit from that), but from cost and integration. Pentaband chipsets are more expensive to build and buy, and also cost more to integrate with the software stack.

Nokia has decimated its software and middleware development teams and likely doesn't want to invest the resources in pentaband when there's an off-the-shelf non-pentaband solution from Qualcomm that works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3