Trash-talking on the one who could push WP8 further.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
i post in 9 different forums including this one believe it or not the majority with Nokia > HTC > samsung :D

Most of the people I know would rank HTC worst in terms of build quality. None of the folks I know have issues with build quality of their Samsung devices. Most of the folks I know also consider Nokia to have good build quality.

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Most of the people I know would rank HTC worst in terms of build quality. None of the folks I know have issues with build quality of their Samsung devices. Most of the folks I know also consider Nokia to have good build quality.
i have tried Nokia Samsung Sonyerricson Motorola in terms of hardware quality Nokia then samsung then motorola then sonyerricson to be fair i do think samsung build good quality phones :)
i have never owned HTC phones before but im welling to do so

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Just took a trip through the 8X forum. For some reason I don't see Nokia or Samsung fans trolling there at all...yet the 920 section has a dozen threads in the first few pages basically just talking **** about Nokia/AT&T.

Interesting.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Many bash Samsung for being light plasticky, many others bash Nokias for being too thick too heavy. Others say that Samsung and HTC are just cloning their Android devices cases and stuffing WP in them. And some rip whomever because they dont like whatever, and think that a device should have exactly what they want. No single device is the perfect device for everybody and that dos not make it a bad device. For the most part we have not held a WP8 device or played wityh it except the lucky few. Whay cant we have a civil Discussion or two, will we wait to actually see and feel for ourselves which device is for us and why and go from there.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Many bash Samsung for being light plasticky, many others bash Nokias for being too thick too heavy. Others say that Samsung and HTC are just cloning their Android devices cases and stuffing WP in them. And some rip whomever because they dont like whatever, and think that a device should have exactly what they want. No single device is the perfect device for everybody and that dos not make it a bad device. For the most part we have not held a WP8 device or played wityh it except the lucky few. Whay cant we have a civil Discussion or two, will we wait to actually see and feel for ourselves which device is for us and why and go from there.

Honestly, everything was fine for the most part until the exclusivity announcements came. That's when the **** hit the fan.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how well that graph goes together with like, current W7 devices out there are like.. 70% Nokias? Also just about every single other graph this far has showed Nokia as the clear leader, at least when comparing the currently announced flagships (rather than asking a generic "Which manufacturer...?".

Not trying to invalidate the graph per se, but just wondering why it shows so different from many other graphs and AFAIK currently the real world.

But I guess it also depends where you ask.. like a tech site or out on the streets. And what country :p Nokia still and never was all that big in the US.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how well that graph goes together with like, current W7 devices out there are like.. 70% Nokias? Also just about every single other graph this far has showed Nokia as the clear leader, at least when comparing the currently announced flagships (rather than asking a generic "Which manufacturer...?".

Not trying to invalidate the graph per se, but just wondering why it shows so different from many other graphs and AFAIK currently the real world.

But I guess it also depends where you ask.. like a tech site or out on the streets. And what country :p Nokia still and never was all that big in the US.
they asked the general public, which is who you must ask to get a good idea of which phone will sell the most...

You remember what people were saying about the iPhone 5 on tech sites? 5 million iPhones were sold after 3 days...

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Even if Samsung can push WP8 further, it remains to be seen just to what extent they are willing to push the envelope considering the developments of HTC anointed the signature WP8 device, Nokia Lumia 920 hogging the spotlight from tech blogs and Samsung itself is doing well on Android.

Granted, everything will change come Oct 26th and the whole cycle kicks into gear, but volume-wise, midrange products are the prime movers, and Samsung does have an obvious gap that the HTC 8S and the L820 is filling right now.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Even if Samsung can push WP8 further, it remains to be seen just to what extent they are willing to push the envelope considering the developments of HTC anointed the signature WP8 device, Nokia Lumia 920 hogging the spotlight from tech blogs and Samsung itself is doing well on Android.

Granted, everything will change come Oct 26th and the whole cycle kicks into gear, but volume-wise, midrange products are the prime movers, and Samsung does have an obvious gap that the HTC 8S and the L820 is filling right now.
of course if you add every devices that Nokia will sell including low, mid and high end, they might sell more than the ATIV s, but high end vs high end would probably result in a win for Samsung.

Last edited:

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
of course if you add every devices that Nokia will sell including low, mid and high end, they might sell more than the ATIV s, but high end vs high end would probably result in a win for Samsung.

Let me put it this way for you, Simon.

Samsung sells a lot of smartphones, including a lot of S3s. But in 5 months, they sold 20 million S3s. A lot of them, but let's put it in context.

Samsung is poised to ship 55 million smartphone devices Q3. On average, they sold 4 millions S3s per month, so that makes 12 million S3s per quarter. That's a lot, and a significant enough contribution, but the true volume drivers, the other 43 million devices that makes Samsung the strongest player in the smartphone business now? That comes from the Aces and other budget to midrange devices Samsung pushes.

And it remains a doubt, whether Samsung can win in the admittedly small WP market right now. HTC and Nokia has competitive offerings and enough differentiators from the ATIV to be unique propositions in their own rights.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Lovely. Certain polls also placed the Lumia 920 ahead of the S3 and iPhone 5 in terms of interest. Sales numbers will say the exact opposite on both counts.

Aykazu

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I think the main reason is not the plastic but the effort Samsung is putting to Windows Phone compared to its Android devices.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
All we see is comments on Samsung making cheap plastic devices on this forum, but Samsung is probably WP8's savior. All I want to say is that we should be happy that Samsung is with us... Stop the trash-talking... Be proud that you want a Lumia and don't kill everybody else's fun...

Click to view quoted image

I think everyone should stop killing anyone's fun because of their dislike for ANY OEM, but this "savior" talk? I think you're jumping the gun

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
This conversation contradicts the OPs intentions. We should be talking about the health of Windows Phone instead of which OEM is better.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Samsung makes quality hardware that also often happen to be cheap plastic. I am sorry but if you want to discuss the one, the other is also fair game. The back of a GS3 is less rigid than a credit card or a piece of a plastic soda bottle. They are also known for taking shortcuts - one of the things that got them in a losing patent battle with Apple. If a Samsung Windows Phone eventually appears on my carrier (VZW so I doubt it), I would not hesitate to buy one since I liked to Omnia II I once owned. Nevertheless, without a change in Samsung philosophy it would also look cheap in comparison to the competition. BTW, mimicking the design of one of your own phones for your Windows Phone hardly conveys innovative....

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well said however most on this forum don't argue which is best but rather which is worst. I belong to several forums under different usernames and I find the members of this forum the most hateful and immature. Often attacking others for valid reasoning and quickly jumping at the opportunity to call somebody a troll. Crackberry.com has the best community because they all have a common interest which is the success of the BlackBerry platform. I would love to see that same unity on this forum with emphasis on a common interest which is the success of the Windows Phone platform. Who cares what device somebody wants and who cares which phones don't have a 720p screen. All WP8 phones will be awesome in their own way so let's just support the platform instead of preference of OEMs.

I would like to say +1 to this.

My office is completely divided between iOS and Android users and during my tenure with my company I've been in both camps. When I decided to move to WP8 I caught a lot of flak from co-workers who were firmly in the Android camp, followed by questions from the iPhone camp on why I would choose WP8.

I'd rather these forums be my place of peace and acceptance since we all like WP rather than a place where I'm watching constant arguing between camps over which OEM is best. They're all good people!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99