Trash-talking on the one who could push WP8 further.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, everything was fine for the most part until the exclusivity announcements came. That's when the **** hit the fan.

Things where certainly building up.

The ATIV announcement came out but people where like: Let's wait what Nokia has to show.

Then Nokia was trolling the ATIV at their conference, some were disappointed in Nokia, others were hyped because that mean Nokia was confident.

Nokia conference came out, the trolled the ATIV again but most people felt in love with the device. Then the lies and scandals came out and some people where weary.

The HTC announcement cause the most heat, because everyone write them off but the 8X/8S designs where so good, you couldn't help but look at them. The fanbase was getting split.

Still most Nokia loyalist, saw a better device on the Lumia 920.

Then most of those fans, realized that they couldn't get that device without getting a new AT&T contract. And things got really heated.

The board has being pretty fun, is more alive.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
I would like to say +1 to this.

My office is completely divided between iOS and Android users and during my tenure with my company I've been in both camps. When I decided to move to WP8 I caught a lot of flak from co-workers who were firmly in the Android camp, followed by questions from the iPhone camp on why I would choose WP8.

I'd rather these forums be my place of peace and acceptance since we all like WP rather than a place where I'm watching constant arguing between camps over which OEM is best. They're all good people!

Your office seems like a place filled with hate more than these forums which are still rational enough. If you want to see hate, the engadget comment section for anything Nokia related is really, really bad.

I will also note the idea that passionate people can get heated once in a while speaking of their favourite toys. It happens to soccer fans, basketball fans, and tech fans aren't any different, it seems.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
What I would like to see is more respect... It's okay to love Nokia, Samsung or HTC, but they're all WP8 partners.

Somebody could believe that a HTC 8S is just enough for him... he may not like to have 5 Nokia fanboys telling him how the Lumia 920 is better and why he's not being smart by chosing a "not-nokia" phone.

I simply don't understand why there is so much hate for everything that is not Nokia... the Lumia 920 is nice. Is it innovative? Not really, it's not like they made some crazy brakethrough... they added stuff and didn't care much about added size... it does not make it a bad phone, but not much innovation there... let's just be rational and respectful...

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Heh. Sounds like all the people at the office who gave me hate about buying a small Italian compact car (Fiat) instead of a Toyota.

Now they all crowd around it and ask for a ride in it and ask me how I like it. :)

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to be perfectly honest here. The things I like are better than the things you like.

Kidding.

But really it all comes down to one things, some people here are HTC/Nokia fans. Others like myself, are Windows Phone 8 fans. I don't care about any of these companies. Of Nokia goes belly up after I get a 920, oh well, I will wait just get a Microsoft branded phone the next time.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
IT comes down to personal preference. Thats what I am advocating besides WP8 in general. We need to be positive about WP* and all WP8 devices (as well as earlier devices)

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Well said however most on this forum don't argue which is best but rather which is worst. I belong to several forums under different usernames and I find the members of this forum the most hateful and immature. Often attacking others for valid reasoning and quickly jumping at the opportunity to call somebody a troll. Crackberry.com has the best community because they all have a common interest which is the success of the BlackBerry platform. I would love to see that same unity on this forum with emphasis on a common interest which is the success of the Windows Phone platform. Who cares what device somebody wants and who cares which phones don't have a 720p screen. All WP8 phones will be awesome in their own way so let's just support the platform instead of preference of OEMs.

We just have a few troublemakers but that doesn't mean this place is the worst. we are the #1 site for WP related news.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
We just have a few troublemakers but that doesn't mean this place is the worst. we are the #1 site for WP related news.

This site is fantastic regarding news and updates. I find wpcentral has fine writers and always comes through with breaking news. I was speaking more of the forum members not the website in general.

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Heh. Sounds like all the people at the office who gave me hate about buying a small Italian compact car (Fiat) instead of a Toyota.

Now they all crowd around it and ask for a ride in it and ask me how I like it. :)

Funny you should say that, I also considered a Fiat 500 before I settled on my current 2012 Ford Focus. I really like the design of the 500 but in the end I need more trunk space than the 500 offers.

I hope your experience with your Fiat is foreshadowing what will happen with my Lumia 920 :)

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
What I would like to see is more respect... It's okay to love Nokia, Samsung or HTC, but they're all WP8 partners.

Somebody could believe that a HTC 8S is just enough for him... he may not like to have 5 Nokia fanboys telling him how the Lumia 920 is better and why he's not being smart by chosing a "not-nokia" phone.

I simply don't understand why there is so much hate for everything that is not Nokia... the Lumia 920 is nice. Is it innovative? Not really, it's not like they made some crazy brakethrough... they added stuff and didn't care much about added size... it does not make it a bad phone, but not much innovation there... let's just be rational and respectful...

Well, I respect the choices people make. But I will say that it's too hasty to anoint anyone savior status of WP8. It's not even launched.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

I agree.

I forwarded an article written by Rich Edmonds to one of my friends.

My friend told me that Rich Edmonds not only included excellent information, but that his grammar and spelling were the best he has seen on any tech site.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Funny you should say that, I also considered a Fiat 500 before I settled on my current 2012 Ford Focus. I really like the design of the 500 but in the end I need more trunk space than the 500 offers.

I hope your experience with your Fiat is foreshadowing what will happen with my Lumia 920 :)

I love the style of the Fiat 500! :)

I actually considered the Mini Cooper back in 2008 when I was in the market for a car. The Mini Cooper looked cool, and I loved the car chase scene in "The Italian Job." It ended up that the Mini Cooper was just too small for my needs. I got a Honda Civic coupe instead.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
And for the crowd that wants a microSD slot Samsung is the only vender providing it.

No they are not, but they are the only one providing it with a hi res screen.
I like the samsung, if I could have all the nokia apps on the ATIV, it would be higher up the list, but if Im going to make the jump to a new ecosystem, then Im jumping with both feet and eyes closed and want something completely different, so Im getting a Nokia.

Im also getting a surface tablet, and Samsung are top of that list for me...

At the end of the day, whatever device we choose we are all on the same side as we want WP8 to do well..

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
BS. It has the exact same specs as other WP8 devices. Please stop lying.

It's not "the best spec" because it has no better specs than the Lumia 920 or HTC 8X.

Some would say that the spec that makes the Ativ S better is in gfact the expandible sd card memory which the 920 and 6X do NOT have!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes by some of the same people complaining about trash talking here. It is interesting, actually it's very comical.

Yep, not the first thread started taking shots at nokia under the guise of something else. Just gets more transparent each time.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site

It will always always be like this. Everyone pokes fun at the guy with the new toy that is not completely accepted as something cool. Then when it becomes more accepted, everyone changes their mind and starts liking it, but never will go back and say thank you for plowing the road for the rest of us. Now we can all jump on your bandwagon and enjoy the ride with you.

OT:
My brother got a yellow 500 on launch and likes it very much. Can't beat his combined MPG of 45mpg. He drives mainly highway 100 miles a day, but even when we are going around town, he is still crushing my sonata mpg which was only advertised as as like 5mpg less. Mine gets 24mpg, which is barely at the EPA estimated city, though my average speed is under 30mph every tank. So it should be closer to city, but every single other car I have ever had was always dead smack in the middle of the highway/city numbers. I have not seen 35mpg yet except for instant mpg. All that said, I could not live with something as slow as the fiat. Great style, but really a loud slow car. Tell me, do you find the ignition key location to be a bit troublesome? I have a hard time getting the key into it due to how cramped it is. Though every single car he buys is much much higher resale than mine. He bought a smart at launch and sold it for way more than he had in it to get the fiat. Fiat is giving great new car deals though, so his resale will not be as good on it, but still light years ahead of my hyundai.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786