Sprint getting a WP8 device?

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
the waiting game is over for me. I will join att as soon as I can for the 920. I have the arrive and absolutely refuse to pay my sprint bill until i close the account. After over ten years, I will not put any more money in their pockets just so they can give it to apple. I havent paid in two months. I'll deal with a little credit hit to make a stand on this.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
The only company with whom Sprint is tied at the hip is Apple and that massive financial commitment is not going way any time soon. Perhaps they will be on board in the future after the Softbank buyout is complete but, until then, they have made it clear they have no immediate plans.
This guy knows... after all, he was the one calling Verizon tips and rumors baseless. We all know he was spot on.

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
If there was an actual demand for Windows Phone device that would increase their share in the US market, then it would had been obvious to attract the carriers who have 2/3 Of the total market, a market which Microsoft refused to support devices for (yes, I am talking about CDMA carriers and not limited to Verizon and Sprint).

Before anyone says Lumia 922 and HTC 8X, have in mind who will have to do direct support for those devices, and it's not going to be Microsoft unless they actually code for current Qualcomm CDMA standards (more specific to 512bit encryption, standard used currently for CDMA 2000 based EVDO and SVDO). Ironically, no one wants to ask Microsoft why they were not on more CDMA carriers in the US outside the three largest.

BTW, why Sprint is treated as the ******* child on this site?

jonathan sink

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
If there was an actual demand for Windows Phone device that would increase their share in the US market, then it would had been obvious to attract the carriers who have 2/3 Of the total market, a market which Microsoft refused to support devices for (yes, I am talking about CDMA carriers and not limited to Verizon and Sprint).

Before anyone says Lumia 922 and HTC 8X, have in mind who will have to do direct support for those devices, and it's not going to be Microsoft unless they actually code for current Qualcomm CDMA standards (more specific to 512bit encryption, standard used currently for CDMA 2000 based EVDO and SVDO). Ironically, no one wants to ask Microsoft why they were not on more CDMA carriers in the US outside the three largest.

I think they are treated as such because that's how they treated wp.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
CDMA is a dying technology that its current carriers are scrambling to shut down and exit. Microsoft's support is restricted to standard voice and data (which Snapdragon supports), and CDMA carriers themselves are not interested in stocking further CDMA-only devices.

Verizon is sunsetting the CDMA network as fast as they can. It would not surprise me if Sprint does the same.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Outside of sprint and verizon, the rest of the CDMA carriers in the USA combined would barely equal the number of subscribers T-Mobile alone has. Sprint is treated the way it is because of its lack of support of Windows Phone. They released one device, then made it their poster child for their unwanted phone buy back program, and are the only major carrier not to voice support for Windows Phone 8. Why should anyone on this site like them? CDMA may have a decent subscriber base in the USA, but out side of the US only China uses CDMA and it isn't even structured the same as CDMA in the US. The rest of the world is GSM. Even LTE that both Sprint and Verizon are adopting is an evolution of the GSM standard.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Even LTE that both Sprint and Verizon are adopting is an evolution of the GSM standard.

Not really. CDMA technology lives on in the form of HSPA+ (GSM 3G/4G), which uses CDMA concepts for faster data transmission.

LTE is entirely different, based on neither WCDMA (GSM data evolution) or CDMA EVDO.

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Sprint did give the Arrive top treatment in adverstising for the same time the did for the Epic 4G and the Evo line, which is about two months of promotion after launch. And whoever said Sprint gave WP a middle finger treatment needs to revise what treatment a Microsoft gave to CDMA carriers.

One more thing, most prepaid carriers are CDMA based, and the smaller regional postpaid CDMA carriers like USCC, nTelos, Credo, and Premier almost have as many customers as a T-Mobile. Do your research, and you will find out CDMA is bigger in the USA than what many in the US (and in the international circles) think.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Sprint did give the Arrive top treatment in adverstising for the same time the did for the Epic 4G and the Evo line, which is about two months of promotion after launch. And whoever said Sprint gave WP a middle finger treatment needs to revise what treatment a Microsoft gave to CDMA carriers.

One more thing, most prepaid carriers are CDMA based, and the smaller regional postpaid CDMA carriers like USCC, nTelos, Credo, and Premier almost have as many customers as a T-Mobile. Do your research, and you will find out CDMA is bigger in the USA than what many in the US (and in the international circles) think.

CDMA sucks. And I say that as someone who used it for years. It is slow, proprietary, guzzles battery life, has no real upgrade path, and demolishes consumer choice.

Carriers get it. CDMA has been shut down in Australia, New Zealand, Brazil and Canada. The US will join that list soon.

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
CDMA has its limitations but sure has it's advantages over GSM.

Better voice quality
Better reach and transmission on proper bands
Try activating a lost/stolen device without flashing (and even when flashing a ROM AND ESN)
Better encryption for security purposes

And if you say you cannot do talk and web at the same time, try EVDO revsion B aka SVDO.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
CDMA is a very strong technology. Anyone here geeky enough to know where it came from?

Hint:

Think Hedy Lamar an* ************. edit to remove some info. too much info....

Last edited:

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
John, don't say that loud lol. People don't understand CDMA 2000 and why the US military with the help of Qualcomm developed the technology. Shall I reveal why? I should

Encryption! Yes, that 512bit encryption Qualcomm requires now for allowing EVDO and SVDO networks like the one Sprint's Network Vision is installing nationally, as well as the enhanced 3G improvements on all CDMA carriers are doing need that encryption for better performance of all the devices. Microsoft's Windows Phone team which is GSM based wants to code how GSM carriers want to code CDMA (which is 256bit encryption, which is obsolete if you run a network where 512bit encryption is needed to support EVDO and SVDO).

And for those wanting CDMA carriers to switch to WCDMA (which is GSM in reality), think about encryption.

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Now you guys know why there were only two devices offered for CDMA carriers on WP7 and why only verizon is supporting at launch. 256bit or 512bit encryption? Your choice, wpcentral members who think Sprint and the rest of the CDMA community is wrong.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
CDMA sucks. And I say that as someone who used it for years. It is slow, proprietary, guzzles battery life, has no real upgrade path, and demolishes consumer choice.

I am sorry, but I would say just about all that is not true. Internet bias from GSM sites and such.

Funny part is, when I was on Verizon, all my friends on GSM networks could just get a new phone and drop their old sim into the new phone and have all their contacts, or they could switch between old and new phones whenever they wanted. I had to go to Verizon and hope that the tech could connect my old and new phone. If not, I would get a nice print out and have to manually re-enter all my contacts. Fun. Now, nothing is stored on the sim.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site

well maybe its that they only had one WP7 device and about a month after they came out with it their advertising for a recycle campaign featured the ariive with vines growing around it. And then they came out and essentially said they were through with WP7 and would wait on WP8 and they still havent said a peepo about WP8 only the TING Sprint MVNO indicated they would go with it. That and the fact they spent a ton on dougfh on the iphone. Don't think thats worked out very well for them either!

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Jfa1, you still failed to address why the support from Microsoft on those two HTC devices was nonexsistant, and why there were not more CDMA variations on devices. It comes down to encryption coding no matter how anyone can explain or defend Microsoft for this and their GSM only priority in a US Market where 2/3 of the market share in cell phone lines come from the CDMA 2000 side.

We can slice it and dice it anyway you want, but the facts about Team Windows Phone not wanting to code CDMA the way Qualcomm and every carrier wants (including a Verizon), and providing ZERO support for the CDMA versions of the HTC Arrive/Pro and the HTC Trophy, and the fact other OEMs were either discouraged or forbidden to manufacture CDMA variants of their devices to offer them on postpaid (and more obvious to CDMA based prepaid carriers) are major fatal flaws. Microsoft failed on that, and no writer on any of the pro Windows Phone sites are even bothering to ask the questions to Microsoft regarding such.

humboldt1

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No one from @sprint or the employees that they follow on twitter will respond to HTC Arrive questions or WP8 questions.

More Sprint customers need to let them know on twitter and on the phone.

In fact feel free to call Tamara from sprint at 757-223-3233 and talk with her. It is her job to talk with customers.

mrmdj316

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
In the same way employees will not talk about the OG Evo, the Epic 4G, or many of the other devices which have reached the EOL status. Is no different with devices on other networks.

I just noticed there is so much Anti-Sprint tension is not even funny, and even if Sprint would have joined the WP8 launch with two devices, and decides to carry a dozen more, none of you Anti-Sprint people would be happy with them, even if they carry the most high end devices like the Lumias from Nokia.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo