Should Nokia reenter the handheld gaming market?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
NO! I just wanted an excuse to post about the N-Gage. Surprisingly enough it lasted longer than the Kin. :D

N-Gage (device) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Classic_Nokia_N_Gage.jpg

The N-Gage is a mobile telephone and handheld game system by Nokia, based on the Nokia Series 60 platform, released on October 7, 2003. The N-Gage QD replaced the original N-Gage in 2004.

N-Gage attempted to lure gamers away from the Game Boy Advance by including cellphone functionality. This was unsuccessful, partly because the buttons, designed for a phone, were not well-suited for gaming and when used as a phone the original N-Gage was described as resembling a "taco".

In 2005, Nokia announced that it would move its N-Gage games capabilities onto a series of smartphones. These devices have been available since early 2007, and a pre-release version of the N-Gage application allowing users to purchase and download games was made available for download from the official N-Gage website on February 4, 2008. The full version of the N-Gage service was released to the public on April 3, 2008. On October 30, 2009, Nokia pronounced the end of the N-Gage service at the end of 2010. It was never released in Japan.

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I will never forget my N-Gage. It sucked at everything it did, but it was a charming device. I still have it, in the box, with all my games, in a drawer somewhere. Haven't seen it in years.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Playstation phone went nowhere, the new portable playstation went nowhere, what would a Nokia gaming phone do thats soo amazing?

Why would a developer target one specific gaming phone, when you can write a generic phone game, and target 10x the audience? Would you pay more for a Nokia game, than the next angry birds?

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It's sad but true, handheld gaming just isn't as popular as it used to be. It's not dead though. It's just loosing grip in the adult sector. I love my PS-V even though it's ugly. If they weren't so expensive then they wouldn't have so many problems.

With that said a gaming phone is definitely out of the question, The N-Gauge was an interesting phone but it was a novelty at best. As far as the playstation phone goes, that thing was hideous and the PSP go was too for that matter. The only market a dedicated gaming device can make progress in is for people like me who prefers actual buttons and joysticks. Too bad that it's turning into a niche market as far as mobile gaming goes.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
No.

The Vita is a fantastic piece of hardware with so much potential. No one cares. Nokia needs to scale back unnecessary operations if it wishes to return to profitability soon, and this would be a useless foray into a dying market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills