HTC J Butterfly - Will we get a similar device running WP8?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
In this forum there have been many many discussions and threads talking about the value and need for hardware feature X..and this is not one of them.

I repeat for the Nth time...this is not a message about the need for HW feature X.

As Theeman mentioned above:

"It's funny because its true" ~ homer simpsons

There is a pink elephant in the room and it's the pace or cadence of WP OS development and it is having a real world impact. I've never seen a track runner catch the leader by running at the same pace (...well, I guess if the leader fell down).

OEM for the foreseeable future will always try to push hardware specs as a key differentiator and if the underlying OS can't support X feature then guess what...they won't make match their HW with the OS.

As of Oct/2012 WP can't support 1920x1080,quad-core and etc (plz no arguments about X feature is not needed) so the hardware on this J Butterfly, or LG Optimus G or Nokia 808 isn't even and option. I repeat, OEM putting their latest R&D products on WP is not an option b/c of the OS limitation. I know user X doesn't need feature X for their use case scenario and that's fine. It's about the OEM putting their very best and lastest R&D hardware in the market and installing WP OS on it.

There is something about the perception about being first to market with hardware feature X. It brands you as a leader and not a 'me too' brand. And as we all know, perceptions becomes reality. MS needs to make sure that whenever a new HW feature coming that they are the primary OS for showcasing that feature and not a 'me too' OS 6 months later.

MS isn't helping matters with their spin doctoring. They say WP only needs 1 core so that's why there no OS support...so OEM never gave them their best as HW is the only differentiator they have . On their Surface products when questioned about why it doesn't have the resolution similar to an ipad, instead of stating the obvious, they tried to explain that 1366x768 was better than 2048x1536.

~ Raise your hand if you think your SD is actually in the real world better than your HDTV or 4K projector.

~ Raise your hand again if you think that Surface Gen 2 will have a higher resolution, thus invalidating their claim that higher resolution is not needed?

Now back to our regularly scheduled show :D

Why isn't the 808 hardware an option? All it needs is a dedicated imaging chip and the appropriate software patch. HTC added a dedicated imaging chip to achieve faster shots and simultaneous video and stills, and Nokia has special permission to alter the OS. (the only OEM that can) The only reason they haven't put it out yet is they'd be crazy to release a high-end niche device if they're unsure about the potential success/failure of the high-end mainstream device. In other words, if the 900 had sold 3-5 million units in the first few months, the Nokia Lumia 808/828/insert random # here would have been announced in September.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
So my Cleveland Browns have been the dogs of the NFL for the last 13 years and using this logic...Real fans shouldn't voice their opinions about the players,QB,coach,GM and owner as we head to a 1-15 record? I don't buy that. You can be a fan and still not agree with the direction a product/team is going. I love my Honda Accord but wish it would do better on gas...so I guess I am not a true/real Honda fan?
Voicing your opinion about a product doesn't not always mean you hate it. Heck I criticize my sons effort in soccer last week...should I just go get another son?

Google controls their branch / fork of Android....Amazon controls theirs, in the arena of phones MS is not competing with vast army of open source zealots with pea shooters. They have a larger employee count than Google...as well as many more layers of management that probably slows things down.

Trust me, chip-set makers, display manufacturer keep OS vendors in the loop about their future plans years ahead of time (cough roadmaps ) so they would not have a product out there that's not usable by anyone.

For the Nth time, this is not yet another discussion about how important display X is, or benchmark that. Its about WP not being in position to handle new hardware features and adding support months later than their competitors. Again its about WP being late to add support for HW features so OEM give their best efforts to other platforms that WILL. We are not talking about weeks later....years later. In other words, OEM will put their latest product on platforms that will support their particular HW and there have been several cases where WP was the stumbling block

Tell me, whats holding up Nokia from releasing the 808 on WP? There is a very specific reason(s) why it hasn't made it to WP as of Nov 2012
Click to view quoted image

I hope an 808 version for WP is coming and I bet a version is, but as or right now...the OS is the hold up.

This is just a list of OEM hardware features that MS was 1 year late on or more
  • SD card support
  • LTE
  • dual-core support
  • non QualComm chipset support ( Exynos, Nvidia Tegra and even crusty old intel )
  • 720 HD, 1080 HD support
  • NFC
  • Bluetooth 3.0/4.0

I get no one cares about these features and they are irrelevant to 9821% of the people, it's about the OS not being in position to support feature X, so OEM choose other platforms to display their latest and greatest whiz-bang feature

So all real fans of WP should never voice their opinions about these features being late but just switch vendors? I would argue that REAL Cleveland Browns fans stick with their loser team for 13 straight years instead of becoming ugly Steeler fans :p
Click to view quoted image

You criticize your son's soccer performance? Maybe he should get a new dad...

kg4icg

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
You know what carrier would be a good fit for this phone if and when it came out wither it be Android or WP8 flavor in it's present form because of a certain deal that is going thru with a Japanese carrier right now?

CSJr1

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Phones are just comming out too fast these days. No sooner than I get a chance to enjoy my swoon for the Lumia 920, the LG Optimus G comes out. Then my swoon for the LG is busted by the HTC Butterfly J.

But since these Butteflies are only indigenous to Japan, I can put my net away.

However, I guess I need to put my swoon on notice to prepare for the liquid cooled, virtual reality, hyper threading, 1080p smartphone comming out in the next hour.

Last edited:

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
You criticize your son's soccer performance? Maybe he should get a new dad...
Maybe his son (like Windows Phone) is not playing on the same level of the other kids?

Must have missed that personal attack, That usually happens when a person has no more arguing options or if they don't like the fact that another 'may'(???) have been right

I give positive and negative feedback on my sons play. Balance is the key, too much on each end is not healthy.

I cringe when I watch American Idol at the start and wondered if someone kept telling their child they are a really good singer instead of hurting their feelings and telling them the truth. My daughter can't sing a lick but she is excellent at acting, so guess where I steered her

Is it really love to lie to someone?

NOW Back to our original HTC Butterfly Astonishment thread

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

Must have missed that personal attack, That usually happens when a person has no more arguing options or if they don't like the fact that another 'may'(???) have been right

I give positive and negative feedback on my sons play. Balance is the key, too much on each end is not healthy.

I cringe when I watch American Idol at the start and wondered if someone kept telling their child they are a really good singer instead of hurting their feelings and telling them the truth. My daughter can't sing a lick but she is excellent at acting, so guess where I steered her

Is it really love to lie to someone?

NOW Back to our original HTC Butterfly Astonishment thread

By no means I was personally attacking the way he raises his son. I deeply apologize if it sounded like that.

What I mean to say with the comment is that, if something if wrong you have to voice your opinion when he..well when he sucks, when he is doing something wrong. Even if it's something/someone you love.

Heron_Kusanagi

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
New rumors suggest that the HTC J Butterfly is the HTC DLX running Android and will debut on Verizon as the Droid Incredible X.

I guess WP8.5 can't come soon enough. /s

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
New rumors suggest that the HTC J Butterfly is the HTC DLX running Android and will debut on Verizon as the Droid Incredible X.

I guess WP8.5 can't come soon enough. /s

I saw the pictures yesterday. It will be pronounced DeLuXe for some reason, unlike the butterfly is kind of ugly looking but then again so are all verizon's phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3